• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Jews

Akivah

Just quote one.

None of them specifically say that one person alone will do all these things.

Most attributes of the Messiah aren't in the Tanakh, they are in the Talmud. It is Judaism's understanding that one person will usher in ALL the prophecies. If even one remains undone, that person is disqualified from being identified as the future messiah.

Akivah

Since God wanted the Bible to be written by Jews and gave his word, law, and precepts to Jews rather than gentiles, kept Jews separate, and gave them massive victories over gentiles, would you say Jews are in general Superior in God's eyes to gentiles? Be honest now!

No. We have more duties and obligations, but we aren't superior to anyone else. Plus, every person will eventually get to Heaven, not just Jews.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
No. We have more duties and obligations, but we aren't superior to anyone else. Plus, every person will eventually get to Heaven, not just Jews.
Nice! I believe everyone will eventually be purified and made worthy of heaven. It's good to know that there are practitioners of Judaism who believe the same.

Akivah

There is much documents that claim Jesus worked miracles, cast out demons, cleansed lepers, gave sight to the blind, multiplied loaves and fishes etc.

What do you Jews think about that? Was he a magician using sorcery and occult powers from Demons, if he did indeed work those miracles?

I'm not suggesting he was the Messiah , but do believe he worked miracles to have such a large following

The Christian man-god is a non-entity to Judaism. I no more think about storybook jesus than I do Muhammad, Vishnu, Zeus, or Voldemort.

As I don't believe the character known as jesus ever actually existed, all the things written about him are just fiction.

Akivah

Nice! I believe everyone will eventually be purified and made worthy of heaven. It's good to know that there are practitioners of Judaism who believe the same.

Yes, it is a common belief in Judaism that most souls go to a place of purification before entering Heaven proper. The maximum duration in the place of purification is one year. Only the very righteous souls (no matter their beliefs) go directly to Heaven.

The only people that I've ever heard saying that "Jews believe they are the only ones going to Heaven" are ignorant non-Jews.

DavidFirth

Verses? It is within the entire Tanakh.

And why do I need to "justify" my views? Am I not allowed my beliefs?

Of course you may believe whatever you wish. I was just looking for a particular reference in scripture for why you hold that point of view. If it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Of course you may believe whatever you wish. I was just looking for a particular reference in scripture for why you hold that point of view. If it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.
Nothing in Scripture says that a belief must be found in Scripture to be true ;)

Akivah

Does Israel have the authority to rebuild the temple before the Messiah arrives?

There is debate regarding how exactly the prophecies will get fulfilled. I've heard some rabbis say the future messiah will rebuild the Temple and I've heard other rabbis say the Temple will be rebuilt by persons unknown, but which signals the arrival of the future messiah. One thing is certain, no one can be identified as being the future messiah until the Temple is rebuilt.

Elliott

It is explicit in the Torah that there are those who don't go to Heaven. Take the 974 for example.

Elliott

Does Israel have the authority to rebuild the temple before the Messiah arrives?
We certainly could try to build one but if G-D doesn't support it then it wont happen and if it did happen, with out G-D's support it would pale in comparison to the previous ones.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Most attributes of the Messiah aren't in the Tanakh, they are in the Talmud. It is Judaism's understanding that one person will usher in ALL the prophecies. If even one remains undone, that person is disqualified from being identified as the future messiah.

..which goes back to my original point.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What's it like being Jewish and knowing that over 2 billion Christians and over a billion Muslims have gone after this Jesus guy...the world has gone after him... Do you Jews ever get angry about it or scared?