• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

POLL: Should Trump have Shaken Pelosi's Hand?

Should Trump Have Shaken Pelosi's Hand at the SOTU Speech

• Total voters

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, that's done. What will Trump get impeached for (again) next?

Hopefully nothing, because he'll get voted out of office. But I'm not optimistic about that happening. Not when America wasn't set up as a proper, representative democracy to begin with. Not when most Republicans have opted to systematically erode the vital checks and balances of this country.

shmogie

As has only been explained about a trillion times, a crime is not required for impeachment. Perhaps a trillion-and-one times might make it sink in -- though I'm not holding my breath.
"Treason, bribery, or OTHER high crimes and misdemeanors". I think I will just believe the Constitution, as opposed to the opinion of a Canadian.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
"Treason, bribery, or OTHER high crimes and misdemeanors". I think I will just believe the Constitution, as opposed to the opinion of a Canadian.
Yes, do that. But while you're at it, look up the meaning of that word "misdemeanor." One possible answer you might find is this: "a nonindictable offense, regarded in the US (and formerly in the UK) as less serious than a felony."

And then look again at the Constitution. The word "misdemeanor" appears to have been used quite deliberately.

Dershowitz himself (who formerly argued just as I do) acknowledges that his new-found position is in the scholarly and legal minority opinion. And that would be for a reason, I think.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I'm not sure Trump did refuse her hand. If you watch a video from behind, he is handing her the booklet and sort of looking down and towards Pence and back towards the front. I don't think he saw her hand. But she sure should have been the one to act like an adult in any case.
Why can't we have someone besides Pelosi all the time? She needs to be replaced with new blood.

shmogie

Yes, do that. But while you're at it, look up the meaning of that word "misdemeanor." One possible answer you might find is this: "a nonindictable offense, regarded in the US (and formerly in the UK) as less serious than a felony."

And then look again at the Constitution. The word "misdemeanor" appears to have been used quite deliberately.

Dershowitz himself (who formerly argued just as I do) acknowledges that his new-found position is in the scholarly and legal minority opinion. And that would be for a reason, I think.
Misdemeanor had a different meaning at the time of the founders than today.

There were misdemeanors that could result in the death sentence then.

Even if we use today's standard for misdemeanor, not one can be found in the articles of impeachment.

The whole issue is dead, kaput. Just a waste of time and money. As was predicted in this forum two years ago, by me.

shmogie

Most people who have done business or come in contact with Trump over the past 40 years hate his guts.
That is a ludicrous assertion. You haven't a clue as to who most people who have come into contact in the last 40 years are.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That is a ludicrous assertion. You haven't a clue as to who most people who have come into contact in the last 40 years are.
And I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't be in the slightest interested in how many people and businesses he has dreadfully harmed in his many bankruptcies -- people I rather suspect, having families to feed themselves, would not hold him in exactly the highest esteem.

shmogie

Clinton's stupid blow job is NOTHING compared to what Trump has done.

This seems to be our McCarthy era.
Well, perjury and obstruction of justice are serious felonies, Clinton committed them both.

According to the house democrats, Trump didn't commit any crimes, except ones they made up.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Toddler Trump....
xBtMBkwd_400x400.jpg
I prefer baby Trump. I mean if I was him I'd have a small one on the desk in the oval office.

shmogie

And I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't be in the slightest interested in how many people and businesses he has dreadfully harmed in his many bankruptcies -- people I rather suspect, having families to feed themselves, would not hold him in exactly the highest esteem.
Actually, I am very familiar with them. I was a Cruz supporter and used them when in conversation with a Trump supporter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And you still do not understand that phrase.
It is a pretty vague statement. Open to a multitude of interpretations.

To this day nobody has pointed out anything specific in the Constitution that Trump supposedly violated. Even laws have paragraphs and subsections.

High crimes and misdemeanors? I figured the only one who knew was King George and I suspect it was whatever he wanted it to be.

sooda

Veteran Member
It is a pretty vague statement. Open to a multitude of interpretations.

To this day nobody has pointed out anything specific in the Constitution that Trump supposedly violated. Even laws have paragraphs and subsections.

High crimes and misdemeanors? I figured the only one who knew was King George and I suspect it was whatever he wanted it to be.

High crimes are only committed by people in governance.. old English law.