• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No name

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Aside from all the jokes, this is an interesting way to provoke a thought through this question. Truth is everyone we know has no name.

What we do with our minds is create a word sign to 'know' something, and our interactions becomes largely through that word sign. If we can get past those, then we see a reality vastly beyond the rather two-dimensional mental images through language that float inside our heads we think is reality. So that question then becomes rather have we known anyone at all, really, beyond the name or the face we put on them? Now take that and apply it to say, God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know some people without names!

Millions and millions of aborted babies.

This is true. Some of those babies were even loved, but not enough. Some of them I expect are still loved, but too late. And the fact that some died a violent death will continue to affect some of the individuals responsible.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So knowing someone 'personally' (which is what Starlite is getting at) does change the dynamics of the relationship. It could even be that someone knows you personally and for that reason they do not like you... knowing someone 'personally' is what establishes, or ends, a relationship.
still waiting for the connection with said someones name....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Tell the people "I AM" was meant to convey "I exist". God did not say "Call me IAM".

I'm not sure.....Man has labeled God in so many ways....
but doesn't one of the lables translate....."I AM"....?

And of course believeing in a God that has no name is easy enough.
I think that was the cause Moses was asking for a name.

That God responded as He did doesn't surprise me.
I understand.

That Man went about using the 'statement' as a 'name' doesn't surprise me either.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Aside from all the jokes, this is an interesting way to provoke a thought through this question. Truth is everyone we know has no name.

What we do with our minds is create a word sign to 'know' something, and our interactions becomes largely through that word sign. If we can get past those, then we see a reality vastly beyond the rather two-dimensional mental images through language that float inside our heads we think is reality. So that question then becomes rather have we known anyone at all, really, beyond the name or the face we put on them? Now take that and apply it to say, God.
Thank you for putting this perspective forward Windwalker.

Our perceptions of people we 'think' we know is governed by many factors. We live in an age where some people create relationships with people that they do not really know and whom they will never meet. "Friendships" are based upon how people present themselves on Facebook or other social media. Humans create relationships with people who can pretend to be anyone they wish. Because they never meet the person that they have befriended, they may know a name, but how much of that person is really revealed in words alone?

Celebrities are in the media constantly....their lives are in the public gaze and details about their activities are reported more often than anyone else's (like it or not).....but how much of what is said about them is actually true? Can we say that we really KNOW these people, even though we hear their names all the time?

When we look at what children call their father, you can have a room full of children with a room full of fathers, but when one child calls out "daddy", only one will truthfully respond as that child's "daddy". So a name has deeper meaning than just a label.

Starlite is bringing out the importance of relationship along with the name. It is impossible to have a close relationship with someone whose name you do not know.

It is true too that a person with a particular name, whose conduct you found to be particularly offensive can color that name sometimes for the rest of their life. The reverse can also be true.

Names are not as simple as we imagine.

Knowing a name is not the same as really knowing the person who bears the name.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for putting this perspective forward Windwalker.

Our perceptions of people we 'think' we know is governed by many factors. We live in an age where some people create relationships with people that they do not really know and whom they will never meet. "Friendships" are based upon how people present themselves on Facebook or other social media. Humans create relationships with people who can pretend to be anyone they wish. Because they never meet the person that they have befriended, they may know a name, but how much of that person is really revealed in words alone?

Celebrities are in the media constantly....their lives are in the public gaze and details about their activities are reported more often than anyone else's (like it or not).....but how much of what is said about them is actually true? Can we say that we really KNOW these people, even though we hear their names all the time?

When we look at what children call their father, you can have a room full of children with a room full of fathers, but when one child calls out "daddy", only one will truthfully respond as that child's "daddy". So a name has deeper meaning than just a label.

Starlite is bringing out the importance of relationship along with the name. It is impossible to have a close relationship with someone whose name you do not know.

It is true too that a person with a particular name, whose conduct you found to be particularly offensive can color that name sometimes for the rest of their life. The reverse can also be true.

Names are not as simple as we imagine.

Knowing a name is not the same as really knowing the person who bears the name.

I'll throw something in here as well. Do we really know ourselves, or are we too looking at a construction of identity we call ourselves by our "name"? Who are we behind that name? Do we really know? And if we have a hard, if not impossible time to penetrate behind that mask, then how do we claim to even know another, even our most intimate of relationships?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll throw something in here as well. Do we really know ourselves, or are we too looking at a construction of identity we call ourselves by our "name"? Who are we behind that name? Do we really know? And if we have a hard, if not impossible time to penetrate behind that mask, then how do we claim to even know another, even our most intimate of relationships?

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

No we cannot really know ourselves. If we cannot even know our own heart how well do we know anyone else's heart? Many people believe they know God. Even though many people profess faith in God and know God's name why are they not in agreement about God's will?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
I was thinking on a much deeper level than merely self-deception, as in the above quote. I am talking about who we think we are entirely. We self-identify through reflections, bits and pieces of who we call "me". To really lay all that bare and see that true "you" is for all intents and purposes, facing death! It is a confrontation with terror, the utter end of ourselves as we know. We see ourselves die.

Prior to that, prior to disrobing all masks we assume as our identity, we are 'seeing through a glass darkly'. We live in an illusion of reality. We don't know ourselves. And if not ourselves, than how others??

Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
I would say any religious conception of God at all, any theology, any doctrine, any dogma, any definitions is guilty of this. Say goodbye to those who claim they have the truth of God in their beliefs. Again, glass darkly, imagining they see the truth.

No we cannot really know ourselves. If we cannot even know our own heart how well do we know anyone else's heart? Many people believe they know God. Even though many people profess faith in God and know God's name why are they not in agreement about God's will?
How many really are? Is it through following a rule book that one claims and understanding of God with the heart? Or through Self Knowledge, beyond the masks, beyond the "veil of the flesh"?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

The person we know the least is ourselves. We can clearly see the flaws in others but rarely in ourselves. This is why we need the humility to be told by those who love us if we are doing or thinking something wrong, as their opinion is based on more objective observations than just the way we see things. (they are not always right of course but a balance view requires input from many sources)

God loves his faithful ones and also tells them how he wishes them to conduct themselves in their relationship to him. He has appointed men to dispense instructions to his people since the beginning....even before Moses was used to write the Ten Commandments. (The Patriarchal system was led by the family head) These men were faithful but not perfect. Those who saw the imperfection and used it as an excuse not to obey God's directives, were shown how God feels about that.

"Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you."
(Heb 13:17)

When people are organized in any manner, there must be structure and order or else chaos would prevent anything from being accomplished. Rules must be established so that people will not run away with their own ideas and begin dissenting which will work against the accomplishments of the group as a whole. There must always be those who take the lead and who themselves are accountable to God. Headship is not dictatorship. It is a loving provision from God to make sure the flock are protected from divisive and destructive influences from those who see only their own viewpoint.

Submission requires faith and trust in God to do what must be done through imperfect men. Just as the nation of Israel had imperfect men to lead them, so the original Christian congregation was led by imperfect men. But the organization as a whole was not the product of one man's thoughts or actions. God's own son was sent to correct his people and God has always provided others to assist his chosen ones in carrying out that which must be done. There was a governing body of older men in Jerusalem to make decisions and act on them for the benefit of the whole body of Christ's followers. That is the model. No hierarchy, but brothers working together to get the job done and make decisions for the rest of the 'family'.

The 'preaching of the good news in all the inhabited earth' is a classic example of this. There is but one Christian body who are presenting one united message to the entire world as a witness to all the nations, just as Jesus said they would. (Matt 24:14; 28:19, 20) There are not "branches" of Christianity that are suited to local tastes and conduct. There can be no dividing of the message about the kingdom. Unless people have a clear understanding about what God's kingdom actually is and what the "good news" about it means for mankind, how can they preach about it, fulfilling Jesus' instructions?

If people do not KNOW God....and worse, do not KNOW themselves, how can they begin even their first steps on the road to life? There is one truth, and we all have to find it if we want to live.

God has an organized people....he does not operate through individuals haphazardly...he never has. You have to come into his family and abide by his rules. He will never change himself to suit yours.

KNOW your God as a person, KNOW his name and all that it stands for, KNOW yourself as HE sees you, and KNOW what is required of you.....then, in humility, JUST DO IT.

That is the challenge before us all.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The person we know the least is ourselves. We can clearly see the flaws in others but rarely in ourselves. This is why we need the humility to be told by those who love us if we are doing or thinking something wrong, as their opinion is based on more objective observations than just the way we see things. (they are not always right of course but a balance view requires input from many sources)
There is some truth in what you say here. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the psychological term shadow persona. But it is very difficult for us to see, and it is usually manifest as hating in someone else something we hate in ourselves and simply cannot see. I believe when Jesus says to take the beam out of your own eye before you look at the mote in another, he was showing some insight into what we do as people. You're right, loved ones help us see what is in ourselves that we can't see of our own, if in fact we are humble as you say.

God loves his faithful ones and also tells them how he wishes them to conduct themselves in their relationship to him.
Ahh... but exactly how? Do others really see us? Isn't this instruction rather an internal one? Who knows you, but God, right?

He has appointed men to dispense instructions to his people since the beginning....even before Moses was used to write the Ten Commandments. (The Patriarchal system was led by the family head) These men were faithful but not perfect. Those who saw the imperfection and used it as an excuse not to obey God's directives, were shown how God feels about that.

"Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you."
(Heb 13:17)
Well... not blindly, of course. If the person has actual spiritual depth and character, that they are humble and not some egotistical show-off pounding the pulpit and puffing his wares, then they may have some insight for you. But... you need to not rely on them to give you Answers with a capital A. To do so puts yourself at risk, in every way.

When people are organized in any manner, there must be structure and order or else chaos would prevent anything from being accomplished. Rules must be established so that people will not run away with their own ideas and begin dissenting which will work against the accomplishments of the group as a whole. There must always be those who take the lead and who themselves are accountable to God. Headship is not dictatorship. It is a loving provision from God to make sure the flock are protected from divisive and destructive influences from those who see only their own viewpoint.
There is a double-edged sword here. If you wish to have a supportive community there must be certain structures, of course. BUT, any organization inherently creates power positions that the agressive always move into, who are driven by control issues. It doesn't matter what that organization is! Now we're talking things like how churches are governed. Who gets into power? How do they get there? Who appoints them? Where are they at? Etc. You see, this is hardly some magical ideal that happens because you believe in God. Churches are rife with politics and power plays. Is God really "in charge" of these organizations? You answer that.

Submission requires faith and trust in God to do what must be done through imperfect men. Just as the nation of Israel had imperfect men to lead them, so the original Christian congregation was led by imperfect men
Red flags start waving. Jim Jones, appointed by God. Submit yourself. Drink the Kool-Aid laced with cyanide because you need to 'believe God'. Bull. How do you discern here? Not everything is spelled out the Bible, you know? Perhaps you need to first start with what is within you, between you and God, and not the "pastor"? Boy, that's my recommendation.

There was a governing body of older men in Jerusalem to make decisions
Who says they were "older"? You mean because it uses the word "elder"? That's a position in the church, and has nothing to do with someone's age, other than the obviously weren't babies.

and act on them for the benefit of the whole body of Christ's followers. That is the model. No hierarchy, but brothers working together to get the job done and make decisions for the rest of the 'family'.
But you were just saying you need to submit to those in charge. That is a hierarchy. If you are suspicious of hierarchies, then you have my attention. :)

There can be no dividing of the message about the kingdom. Unless people have a clear understanding about what God's kingdom actually is and what the "good news" about it means for mankind, how can they preach about it, fulfilling Jesus' instructions?
Well, that's the question isn't it? Who really understands this message about the Kingdom of God? Do they?

If people do not KNOW God....and worse, do not KNOW themselves, how can they begin even their first steps on the road to life?
In all honesty, I agree. To know God is to know yourself.

There is one truth, and we all have to find it if we want to live.
But that one truth, is it something that is outside you? Or is it something within you you need to find?

God has an organized people....he does not operate through individuals haphazardly...he never has.
Well, I disagree, mostly. In the sense you probably mean it, anyway. I believe Truth is always there, and various individuals 'haphazardly' find it. Then it speaks through them. I do not believe in any "appointed individuals", rather "Those who hear, let them hear". Follow?

You have to come into his family and abide by his rules. He will never change himself to suit yours.
You have to lay down your small self. I don't believe just joining a group equals that family. I believe that family, to call it that, transcends any organization. I believe this Kingdom of God, is beyond any church or any religion. Don't you?

KNOW your God as a person, KNOW his name and all that it stands for, KNOW yourself as HE sees you, and KNOW what is required of you.....then, in humility, JUST DO IT.
Just do what? I get the first part of this, but what I understand as "just do it", is to be your True self. That's what God sees. What happens from there....

Last edited:

starlite

Texasgirl
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For me personally....knowing God's name and what it stands for, allows me to draw closer to him , to believe in the things he promises, and to know that he cares for me as an individual. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Isaiah 42:8) “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In his model prayer Jesus taught us how to pray...Mt.6:9 He prayed that God's name be made holy or sanctified. He stated “Our Father” in the heavens....Jesus was on earth praying to his Father in the heavens...not praying to himself. Making known his Father's name was of prime importance to Jesus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]God's name Jehovah means “He causes to become”. Therefore, I can trust him to accomplish everything he purposes. [/FONT]

Renji

In Asian history, there are actually slaves and priestesses who have no names. I can name one. :D

Super Universe

Defender of God
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For me personally....knowing God's name and what it stands for, allows me to draw closer to him , to believe in the things he promises, and to know that he cares for me as an individual. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Isaiah 42:8) “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In his model prayer Jesus taught us how to pray...Mt.6:9 He prayed that God's name be made holy or sanctified. He stated “Our Father” in the heavens....Jesus was on earth praying to his Father in the heavens...not praying to himself. Making known his Father's name was of prime importance to Jesus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]God's name Jehovah means “He causes to become”. Therefore, I can trust him to accomplish everything he purposes. [/FONT]

You don't know God's name because He never gave a name. He said "I exist". He didn't say "Call me 'I exist'".

Making known His Father's name was of prime importance to Jesus? And what name did Jesus use? Father, not Jehovah or Yahweh.

Isaiah is an Old Testament book, not the New Testament. How is it evidence for anything Jesus did?

If I place three glasses before you, all of them filled with a clear liquid and I call the first one "Wasser", the second one is "Agua" and the third one is "Water", what's the difference in the liquid?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You don't know God's name because He never gave a name. He said "I exist". He didn't say "Call me 'I exist'".

Making known His Father's name was of prime importance to Jesus? And what name did Jesus use? Father, not Jehovah or Yahweh.

there is evidence that the christian writers did use Gods personal name in their writings. For them to have written the name, they must have known to call God by that name otherwise they wouldnt have used it.

George Howard of the University of Georgia wrote in Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 96, 1977, p. 63: “Recent discoveries in Egypt and the Judean Desert allow us to see first hand the use of God’s name in pre-Christian times. These discoveries are significant for N[ew] T[estament] studies in that they form a literary analogy with the earliest Christian documents and may explain how NT authors used the divine name. In the following pages we will set forth a theory that the divine name, יהוה (and possibly abbreviations of it), was originally written in the NT quotations of and allusions to the O[ld] T[estament] and that in the course of time it was replaced mainly with the surrogate [abbreviation for Ky′ri·os, “Lord”]. This removal of the Tetragram[maton], in our view, created a confusion in the minds of early Gentile Christians about the relationship between the ‘Lord God’ and the ‘Lord Christ’ which is reflected in the MS tradition of the NT text itself.”

Isaiah is an Old Testament book, not the New Testament. How is it evidence for anything Jesus did?

because Jesus was a Jew who used the Hebrew scriptures...so if the hebrew scriptures contained the name of God, then Jesus would have known and used it. And in the most ancient fragments of the Septuagint, the divine name appears.
One fragmentary remains of a 1BCE papyrus roll with a portion of Deuteronomy,(P Fouad Inventory No. 266) presents the Tetragrammaton, written in square Hebrew characters.

no-body

Knowing "Gods" name is meaningless. We make it into an idol and worship that instead of "God" Even the word God is loaded with so much meaning and belief as to be meaningless. The ego wants something substantial and solid to cling on to.

Super Universe

Defender of God
there is evidence that the christian writers did use Gods personal name in their writings. For them to have written the name, they must have known to call God by that name otherwise they wouldnt have used it.

George Howard of the University of Georgia wrote in Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 96, 1977, p. 63: “Recent discoveries in Egypt and the Judean Desert allow us to see first hand the use of God’s name in pre-Christian times. These discoveries are significant for N[ew] T[estament] studies in that they form a literary analogy with the earliest Christian documents and may explain how NT authors used the divine name. In the following pages we will set forth a theory that the divine name, יהוה (and possibly abbreviations of it), was originally written in the NT quotations of and allusions to the O[ld] T[estament] and that in the course of time it was replaced mainly with the surrogate [abbreviation for Ky′ri·os, “Lord”]. This removal of the Tetragram[maton], in our view, created a confusion in the minds of early Gentile Christians about the relationship between the ‘Lord God’ and the ‘Lord Christ’ which is reflected in the MS tradition of the NT text itself.”

because Jesus was a Jew who used the Hebrew scriptures...so if the hebrew scriptures contained the name of God, then Jesus would have known and used it. And in the most ancient fragments of the Septuagint, the divine name appears.
One fragmentary remains of a 1BCE papyrus roll with a portion of Deuteronomy,(P Fouad Inventory No. 266) presents the Tetragrammaton, written in square Hebrew characters.

Where in the New Testament did Jesus use the name Jehovah?

Now, how many times did Jesus refer to God as "Father"?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Have you ever known a thing without a name?
Thing is it's name.
thing.jpg