• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Bibles in Public?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It's the sign of a society that's dispensed with core values. I have no love for "bible thumpers", but my right not to be disquieted does not, and should not, trump freedom or expression.
Does your right to freedom of expression trump a business's right to decline business?

A Vestigial Mote

Terrif. Outrage on both sides, over nothing.
I think it's pretty obvious that this private company is caving to the whims of the public (and losing business) over nothing much. Could even be that their management is biased in some way already (which would make this a lot like the whole gay marriage cake/bakery fiascoes of the past). There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion that you don't agree with a business entity's tactics, boycotting them, or giving them bad reviews/word-of-mouth. That's exactly where this is going... and I stated that's about all there is to be "done" about the situation.

That's really the long and short of it from where i stand. If you have specific complaints with what I wrote, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Audie

Veteran Member
I think it's pretty obvious that this private company is caving to the whims of the public (and losing business) over nothing much. Could even be that their management is biased in some way already (which would make this a lot like the whole gay marriage cake/bakery fiascoes of the past). There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion that you don't agree with a business entity's tactics, boycotting them, or giving them bad reviews/word-of-mouth. That's exactly where this is going... and I stated that's about all there is to be "done" about the situation.

That's really the long and short of it from where i stand. If you have specific complaints with what I wrote, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Complaints? Heavens no. I was agreeing with you.
While additionally noting that the "outrage" in the OP
was on the hyperventilated side.

Audie

Veteran Member
Just finished reading the article. The "threat" wasn't specified so no one will know the real reason why it was taken down. But his choice of calling it a crusade, ah....not good. Usually associated with a holy war. War on what? "there's so much intolerance" please...Christians aren't used to being looked down on like the rest of us have always been by christians in this country.

I dont know that they are being, now.
But yes, Christian bigotry toward us awful atheists is
more than a little familiar.

Rational Agnostic

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

It's a private company, and it's their decision. There is no issue at all. Would you want billboards associated with your company to quote the Quran, Book of Mormon, or Bhagavad Gita?

Audie

Veteran Member
It's religion-phobia.

Free speech has just gone out the window in So-Cal and, as you said, it is a sad commentary

Phobia.

Right, give it a medical name, a kind of sickness.

Free speech is not an absolute right. Where it is a right,
it is protected by the constitution. Where it is not, some
who for decades ignored the constitution and abused
their power finally were forced to stop.

See "prayer in school".*

Now, when there is a little pin prick of push back from
the other side, why that is an outrage and a sad
commentary. I will agree, there is sad commentary in there.
Not where you think tho.

*of course, the fundies tend to be big flag and constitution wavers. One of those little ironies, as they call them.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's a private company, and it's their decision. There is no issue at all. Would you want billboards associated with your company to quote the Quran, Book of Mormon, or Bhagavad Gita?

Exactly. First amendment is not about an absolute right.

And outrage that a private company exercises control over their private property?

Wait, aren't the conservatives supposed to support that?

But none of that really applies. It is what I said earlier,
looking for and getting excited about finding some way,
some way that christians are being "oppressed".

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It's the sign of a society that's dispensed with core values. I have no love for "bible thumpers", but my right not to be disquieted does not, and should not, trump freedom or expression.

And yet, this Bible thumper, prays for the peace of Jerusalem, loves Israel, supports her right to be a nation and loves you. :) Go figure.

Shalom.

Kenny

Premium Member
Phobia.

Right, give it a medical name, a kind of sickness.

Free speech is not an absolute right. Where it is a right,
it is protected by the constitution. Where it is not, some
who for decades ignored the constitution and abused
their power finally were forced to stop.

See "prayer in school".*

Now, when there is a little pin prick of push back from
the other side, why that is an outrage and a sad
commentary. I will agree, there is sad commentary in there.
Not where you think tho.

*of course, the fundies tend to be big flag and constitution wavers. One of those little ironies, as they call them.
Just enjoying the opportunity that everyone is using... phobia. :)

Are you saying that having a billboard announcing an event shouldn't be protected?

Kenny

Premium Member
I can assure you, this is not religion-phobia. California's free speech hasn't gone out the window, either.
We need a medical perspective on that one. I suggest that there be a psychological review on those who were "offended" by the billboard. They may be our future mass murderers... you just never know.

sealchan

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

It comes from a lot of Christians unjust exercise of privilege, centuries of murder and hatred and violence against those who by nature don't fit into so called Christian morality.

Like it or not diversity is being weaponized by the left. People will suffer unjustly as a result until a deeper level of trust can be established.

For a time the actions of past Christian's will "come home to roost".

GoodbyeDave

I have tried to get confirmation of this story from an impartial news site and I can't. All reports are from evangelical sites and not all say the ban was because of the bible. The only thing that seems clear is that the mall owners didn't want an advertisement for a megachurch "crusade". If you have the "religious freedom" in the USA not to bake a "gay wedding cake" then why not the freedom to decline an advertisement for a fundamentalist Christian?

Last edited:

sealchan

Freedom of anything is subject to the fallacy of self reference where one can logically negate a degree of freedom by asserting another degree of freedom. Just as calling out for acts of violence is not allowed there are limits.

Any system invested in freedom must seek to allow as many degrees of freedom as possible but those actions which cause more loss of freedom than they gain, especially if there is a sizable number of people in support of that net loss of freedom, will run counter to the very effort of the system as a whole to ensure freedom.

Truth is, therefore, systemic and not linear as each truth exists in an interconnected web of outcomes that can potentially yield logically valid statements (I have the right to express my controversial opinion) invalid in the context of the whole system.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Evangelists should introspect a little more, not pointing fingers all the time.
When they are convinced they are right and everyone else is lost, good luck with that suggestion! "Introspection? No need when you have God's Word!!" :)

The real intolerant and disrespectful people are the evangelists themselves judging atheist/humanist and other religious people. And then they are surprised others become intolerant to them. This I called blindness.
I call what they are doing to be projection. It's what people do when they are unwilling to look within and account for their own sins. What they accuse the other of doing, is what they themselves are guilty of, imagining they are being "persecuted" when it is they who persecute others for their beliefs, chasing them with the Holy Weapon in their hands, quoting from it to the poor lost unsaved with threatening words of fear to bring the unwashed into their folds.

Audie

Veteran Member
Just enjoying the opportunity that everyone is using... phobia. :)

Are you saying that having a billboard announcing an event shouldn't be protected?

What I said is if anything excessively plain.
Did you actually not understand it?

Audie

Veteran Member
When they are convinced they are right and everyone else is lost, good luck with that suggestion! "Introspection? No need when you have God's Word!!" :)

I call what they are doing to be projection. It's what people do when they are unwilling to look within and account for their own sins. What they accuse the other of doing, is what they themselves are guilty of, imagining they are being "persecuted" when it is they who persecute others for their beliefs, chasing them with the Holy Weapon in their hands, quoting from it to the poor lost unsaved with threatening words of fear to bring the unwashed into their folds.

Yes, we have an active thread from just one such, who
would love the power to exclude (for a start!) them
unbelievers and any of insufficient ideological purity.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't believe in public nuisance laws? OK for them to park an Evangelist Wagon with loudspeakers outside you house and preach the "good news" at 3 AM?

Audie

Veteran Member
I have tried to get confirmation of this story from an impartial new site and I can't. All reports are from evangelical sites and not all say the ban was because of the bible. The only thing that seems clear is that the mall owners didn't want an advertisement for a megachurch "crusade". If you have the "religious freedom" in the USA not to bake a "gay wedding cake" then why not the freedom to decline an advertisement for a fundamentalist Christian?

I bet a lot of them are all about how it is a move to
BAN THE BIBLE!!!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And yet, this Bible thumper, prays for the peace of Jerusalem, loves Israel, supports her right to be a nation and loves you. :) Go figure.

Shalom.
Some do. Some don't. And, like you, many engage in worthless, self-serving generalizations. Go bait someone else ... :)