• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Bibles in Public?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace
I assume you'd be happy to see a billboard with an imam on promoting the Koran, or a Rabbi promoting The Torah or an atheist promoting The God Delusion?
There are many examples of atheist billboards being refused or vandalised

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I assume you'd be happy to see a billboard with an imam on promoting the Koran, or a Rabbi promoting The Torah or an atheist promoting The God Delusion?
There are many examples of atheist billboards being refused or vandalised

Hello. I would have no problem with those. And I was an atheist most of my life (then woke up) and have many stories I could tell you about the hostility and discrimination I faced then.

In this case the ad came down even after the image was changed to show 'just a book' (though it was still obvious what it was).

Why would someone get so angry about that ad (it ran every year for a long time)? I could understand the opposition to it if it was on government property.

Peace

Altfish

Veteran Member
Hello. I would have no problem with those. And I was an atheist most of my life (then woke up) and have many stories I could tell you about the hostility and discrimination I faced then.

In this case the ad came down even after the image was changed to show 'just a book' (though it was still obvious what it was).

Why would someone get so angry about that ad (it ran every year for a long time)? I could understand the opposition to it if it was on government property.

Peace
I'd certainly have no problem with it and all religions and none could display their symbols. BUT commercial people have to take a view about the public perception of what they display. and not wanting to 'take sides' in possibly contentious subjects such as politics and religion (and football teams!)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.
A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible
I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?
Peace

Not so strange. The pastor had it coming due to belittling behavior of many evangelists. Evangelists should introspect a little more, not pointing fingers all the time.
It's okay to me if an evangelist talks positive about his religions/guru. It is not okay to belittle the religion/guru of others. Evangelists I met didn't learn that lesson yet.

The real intolerant and disrespectful people are the evangelists themselves judging atheist/humanist and other relgious people. And then they are surprised others become intolerant to them. This I call blindness. But that is no surprise because "Arrogance blinds people, hence the blind spot in this case of the evangelists".

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Peace
It's religion-phobia.

Free speech has just gone out the window in So-Cal and, as you said, it is a sad commentary

Stanyon

WWMRD?
There are many examples of atheist billboards being refused or vandalized

People vandalize just about anything but being refused if it is something like the sign below I could completely understand why, it would be needlessly offensive.

upload_2018-8-15_7-17-11.jpeg

Audie

Veteran Member

Audie

Veteran Member

Peace

In a predominantly Christian country, it is deeply improbable
that you faced any hostility that you did not deliberately
provoke.

I know-I know, a "christian" thing is that you are supposed
to be mistreated. It is a badge of honour, a sign you are a True christian.

"You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved."

Good that you mentioned it. now we see the thinking behind
your calling attention to what is not at all how you
advertised it, and tried to turn it into something that fits
your agenda.

Tsk and double tsk.

A Vestigial Mote

Peace
Normally I wouldn't begrudge someone putting The Bible and any related materials where I think they belong, but this does feel wrong. As the article said, there wasn't even anything overtly religious about the billboard. The Bible he was holding didn't even have any telltale markings. It was just an advertisement for an event. Anyone complaining is simply too sensitive in their chosen worldview - not much you can do about it, as they are bound to complain and obviously feel entitled to do so. I guess bringing awareness and public ridicule of such practices is about all you've got. Certainly nothing illegal went on.

Audie

Veteran Member
Normally I wouldn't begrudge someone putting The Bible and any related materials where I think they belong, but this does feel wrong. As the article said, there wasn't even anything overtly religious about the billboard. The Bible he was holding didn't even have any telltale markings. It was just an advertisement for an event. Anyone complaining is simply too sensitive in their chosen worldview - not much you can do about it, as they are bound to complain and obviously feel entitled to do so. I guess bringing awareness and public ridicule of such practices is about all you've got. Certainly nothing illegal went on.

Terrif. Outrage on both sides, over nothing.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
It's religion-phobia.

Free speech has just gone out the window in So-Cal and, as you said, it is a sad commentary
I can assure you, this is not religion-phobia. California's free speech hasn't gone out the window, either.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Just finished reading the article. The "threat" wasn't specified so no one will know the real reason why it was taken down. But his choice of calling it a crusade, ah....not good. Usually associated with a holy war. War on what? "there's so much intolerance" please...Christians aren't used to being looked down on like the rest of us have always been by christians in this country.