• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Bibles in Public?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You don't believe in public nuisance laws? OK for them to park an Evangelist Wagon with loudspeakers outside you house and preach the "good news" at 3 AM?

Personally, I find stupid false equivalencies to be a bit of a nuisance, but I defend your right nonetheless.

HonestJoe

None of this seems to make any sense. I can’t understand what kind of complaint anyone could make about the billboard that the shopping centre would concede, even with the addition of threats (indeed, that would make me less likely to concede). I just get the feeling there’s more to this we’re not being told.

I also can’t help noticing that this report is probably getting the event infinitely more advertising that a couple of posters in a shopping centre ever would. :cool:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you saying that having a billboard announcing an event shouldn't be protected?
Why should it be? Do you think asking a baker as a private business owner to make a cake for two gay men getting married shouldn't be protected as a right to refuse service based on his personal religious views? Me smells a peculiarly self-serving double-standard (hypocrisy) here.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Personally, I find stupid false equivalencies to be a bit of a nuisance, but I defend your right nonetheless.
I don't see a false equivlence at all. Here's what you said:

It's the sign of a society that's dispensed with core values. I have no love for "bible thumpers", but my right not to be disquieted does not, and should not, trump freedom or expression.
My point was this cannot be expressed as an absolute "right", because we DO have laws of when and where it is appropriate and not. Blasting loudspeakers in a residential neighborhood at 3 AM to "save" you, is not a "freedom". You know that. Your right to not be disturbed in fact does override their right to preach their "good news" to you.

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I dont know that they are being, now.
But yes, Christian bigotry toward us awful atheists is
more than a little familiar.

I meant that they don't lilke backlash from their normal routine of persecuting others, That's the "intolerance" they are talking about. I have had many an argument with christian friends, many now former friends, that were upset that they can no longer gay bash people without getting trashed 10x worse.

Oh dear you mean you have to be a decent person too? such a travesty.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

QuestioningMind

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

It's a privately owned mall and they have the right to accept or refuse any advertising that they want. To suggest that this somehow means that the bible has been banned from public is ridiculous.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yes, and I actually thought about pointing that out but it does illustrate the point that there are ways to do something publicly and a way not to do something.
Yes, but why use an atheist sign without the warnings that it was fake News?

Ellen Brown

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

Speaking only of my own experience, some Christians have a needling, intolerant, unloving way of presenting themselves. Maybe he needed taking down a notch or two?

Audie

Veteran Member
He more then welcome to buy his own billboards. Not sure the price of them there but plenty of churchs buy theirs out here.

So all the good stuff. Gotcha.;)
Id fight like a demon to keep those self righteous "Christians"
from taking over.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why should it be? Do you think asking a baker as a private business owner to make a cake for two gay men getting married shouldn't be protected as a right to refuse service based on his personal religious views? Me smells a peculiarly self-serving double-standard (hypocrisy) here.

Not at all...

The billboard was "accepted" from the onset for their business and even corrected "seeing the Bible" (Heaven forbid such an atrocity). Had the billboard co said "no" from the onset, then it would hypocritical.

In this case it would be more of a double standard (hypocrisy) by your proposition IMHO

Audie

Veteran Member
It's a privately owned mall and they have the right to accept or refuse any advertising that they want. To suggest that this somehow means that the bible has been banned from public is ridiculous.

Worse than that, it is agenda driven fakery.