• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Bibles in Public?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Pastor Greg Laurie Says 'Bible Offensive To Some

Of course that is what he would say.
Not by any chance that HE is offensive.
It's in line with his beliefs:

If you live a godly life, you will be persecuted. You can count on this. It is not a matter of if; it is a matter of when and how much.
"The Promise of Persecution" - Devotion for 10/1/2010

If nobody is persecuted him, then he's "ungodly," so in order to make himself out to be "godly," he has to be persecuted by someone... hence the desire to grab onto any molehill that can be spun as persecution and make a mountain out of it.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's in line with his beliefs:

"The Promise of Persecution" - Devotion for 10/1/2010

If nobody is persecuted him, then he's "ungodly," so in order to make himself out to be "godly," he has to be persecuted by someone... hence the desire to grab onto any molehill that can be spun as persecution and make a mountain out of it.

That need to be persecuted / the dear sweet Jesus
stuff has some sort of, what is it? Kinda sick.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That need to be persecuted / the dear sweet Jesus
stuff has some sort of, what is it? Kinda sick.
When one looks at the whole Christian message it is all "Kinda sick". It tells people that they are not worthy, that if something bad happens it is your fault or the work of the Devil, that if you do something good it is not your action but that of God. I could rant on and on. They try to trap people with fear and devaluation. Yet if one can toss out the garbage there still is some value to it. Sadly many get trapped in the garbage part of Christianity. As you can see by the literalists here.

Audie

Veteran Member
When one looks at the whole Christian message it is all "Kinda sick". It tells people that they are not worthy, that if something bad happens it is your fault or the work of the Devil, that if you do something good it is not your action but that of God. I could rant on and on. They try to trap people with fear and devaluation. Yet if one can toss out the garbage there still is some value to it. Sadly many get trapped in the garbage part of Christianity. As you can see by the literalists here.

No christian here makes me have the least interest in joining
or being like them, totally the oopsite.

GoodbyeDave

Let's put this simply. An fundamentalist megachurch which promotes all sorts of bigotry hired a bilboard to anounce a campaign. Some people complained to the mall owners who decided it was indeed not the sort of thing they wanted to be associated with and took it down. The church leader claims this is discrimination. Well, he would, wouldn't he?

How on earth do we manage 161 posts about that? Oops, I've just made it 162. :(

Milton Platt

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

Since this is not public (government) property, I have no idea what the objections would have been, and I'm an atheist myself. Perhaps people are tired of seeing these "holier-that-thou" guys taking peoples money under false pretenses?

Milton Platt

Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society.

A Sign of the Times? Pastor Greg Laurie Forced to Remove Billboards Featuring the Bible

I wonder if anyone here has encountered this kind of intolerance? Where does it come from?

Peace

I suspect it was not about the preacher, or the book. I suspect that the owners of the property didn't want the display of ANY religious billboards on the premises.
And your tag line says "No Bibles in Public Places", which is not what the article you posted is about at all.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I suspect it was not about the preacher, or the book. I suspect that the owners of the property didn't want the display of ANY religious billboards on the premises.
And your tag line says "No Bibles in Public Places", which is not what the article you posted is about at all.

Hello. The first part of your comment would make sense if 1) the person and the event were not known (but they were and the event has been held for many years) and 2) *if the company had not already approved of the ad and aleady put it up on the billboard*

The second part of your comment shows that you misunderstood the original post and/or did not read my reiteration of my (clearly stated in the first place IMHO) intent.

Peace

Milton Platt

Hello. The first part of your comment would make sense if 1) the person and the event were not known (but they were and the event has been held for many years) and 2) *if the company had not already approved of the ad and aleady put it up on the billboard*

The second part of your comment shows that you misunderstood the original post and/or did not read my reiteration of my (clearly stated in the first place IMHO) intent.

Peace
I'm not disagreeing with you that this was not a good thing. And I'm saying this as an atheist. I think free speech is important. I was merely opining about what the motivation may have been. A company can have a change of heart and rescind permission. But I agree with you, this was an error in judgement.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Peace

I think that you will find that most atheists would not defend the billboard company if what they did was accurately reported. The problem is that the source is rather suspect. Can you understand that? Can you accept that?

Once again, if the reports are true the billboard company was in the wrong. But that is a big "if".

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I'm not disagreeing with you that this was not a good thing. And I'm saying this as an atheist. I think free speech is important. I was merely opining about what the motivation may have been. A company can have a change of heart and rescind permission. But I agree with you, this was an error in judgement.

Yay, some agreement :)

My original question though was why do people (the persons complaining and/or making threats) have to act that way. Posted in interfaith, I was soliciting feedback from other Christians. Not that I have anything against atheists - I was one for decades.

Peace

Milton Platt

Yay, some agreement :)

My original question though was why do people (the persons complaining and/or making threats) have to act that way. Posted in interfaith, I was soliciting feedback from other Christians. Not that I have anything against atheists - I was one for decades.

Peace

Everybody seems to be offended by one thing or another these days. But the internet has given a platform to people to whine about every little thing. As Ricky Gervais one said, "You'r offended? Well, so f**king what?