• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Bibles in Public?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hello. It looks as if they caved in and pulled the ad because of a few haters. I mean, they first accepted the ad and ran it (see the article). So they knew ahead of time what the content/event was.

Peace
And how do you know that these “haters” were hating the Bible specifically and not, say, Greg Laurie, Harvest Church, this particular event, one of the bands listed, etc.?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do find it interesting in all this that - if the facts of the article are all true - Christians get a very small taste of how non-Christians are treated by Christians all the freakin’ time and they act as if they’re being oppressed.

If you’re a Christian reading this thread and you feel this way, maybe you can take this as an opportunity for self-reflection.

"Atheists" bus advertisement again rejected - Stoic Solutions Podcast

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I do find it interesting in all this that - if the facts of the article are all true - Christians get a very small taste of how non-Christians are treated by Christians all the freakin’ time and they act as if they’re being oppressed.

If you’re a Christian reading this thread and you feel this way, maybe you can take this as an opportunity for self-reflection.

Hello. Yes, I for one would agree it is equally wrong for some Christians to do that.

Peace

Regiomontanus

And how do you know that these “haters” were hating the Bible specifically and not, say, Greg Laurie, Harvest Church, this particular event, one of the bands listed, etc.?

Hello.

"However, after claiming the religious imagery on the ads provoked multiple complaints,..."

Take away the Bible and the image is just a man, yes?

Peace

Faithofchristian

Hello. Yet another person who did not (apparently) read the article. This has nothing to do with the right of the company.

Peace

Apparently, you didn't read your own post #1.
Here's what you said in post #1
(Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society)

So I was in agreement with you.

That a private company has the right to determine what they want and don't want on their property.

But in the case of this pastor he has every right to put on the church property. What ever he chooses.including the bible.

The 1st Amendment to the Constitution
( Congress shall not make no law respecting an establishment of Religion, or prohibiting the free excercise thereof)

Therefore seeing that Congress can not establish no law prohibiting the free excercise thereof.
That also means no State or judge can not either, seeing it's Congress who makes laws.
So any State or judge who trys to do so, is over stepping their boundaries.

Therefore the Pastor was within his right, to excercise his right, in posting the bible on the church billboard.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

I'm paraphrasing from memory, but I've seen it said "privilege is when being treated like other people feels like persecution"

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
(Hello. I found this to be outrageous. Yes, a private company has every right to make the decision. Nevertheless I think it a sad commentary on the state of our society)

That a private company has the right to determine what they want and don't want on their property.

But in the case of this pastor he has every right to put on the church property. What ever he chooses.including the bible.

( Congress shall not make no law respecting an establishment of Religion, or prohibiting the free excercise thereof)

Therefore seeing that Congress can not establish no law prohibiting the free excercise thereof.
That also means no State or judge can not either, seeing it's Congress who makes laws.

Therefore the Pastor was within his right, to excercise his right, in posting the bible on the church billboard.
Has anyone tried to so legislate this or any other church being unable to display the Bible on their own property?

Regiomontanus

Hello. I apologize if I misread your previous post. Of course the 1st Amendment only prevents the government from limiting free speech. And so if the billboard was on church property it would be their right to have it. Here though it was a private company that owned the billboard. They caved into some complaints about the "imagery" which would seem to be the Bible. The point of my post/question then was _why_ are some people so offended by the image of a man holding up a Bible (then just a book, with no markings on it)?

Peace.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hello.

"However, after claiming the religious imagery on the ads provoked multiple complaints,..."

Take away the Bible and the image is just a man, yes?

Peace
It would be a man preaching, which is also religious imagery.

Edit: it would also be a man that many in that area would recognize as a prominent religious minister.

... though we're talking about the article author's interpretation of what the church representatives said the ad company said the complaints said, so I don't really trust the description to be that accurate. That's a lot of broken telephone, even if everyone involved is being truthful.

And seeing how Harvest Church is using this incident as the seed for a social media campaign to promote their event, I don't actually trust them to be truthful: #StandWithTheBible

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

The point of my post/question then was _why_ are some people so offended by the image of a man holding up a Bible (then just a book, with no markings on it)?
Perhaps because, being Californians, they recognise the picture as Greg Laurie and don't think much of a man who says things like "Wives need to submit to their husbands as an act of submission to the Lord" or "Homosexuality is outside of God's order", or who calls abortion murder.

Regiomontanus

Perhaps because, being Californians, they recognise the picture as Greg Laurie and don't think much of a man who says things like "Wives need to submit to their husbands as an act of submission to the Lord" or "Homosexuality is outside of God's order", or who calls abortion murder.

Hello. Maybe, but one would think that the complaint would have been about him rather than "religious imagery".

Peace

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hello. Maybe, but one would think that the complaint would have been about him rather than "religious imagery".

Peace
Assuming that's even what the complaint was. I get the sense that this is just the church trying to spin this to support their PR campaign.