• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rule

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
You opinion is noted, ultimately it is still opinion.

You are welcome to any account you want, please note, i haven't and dont really care what accounts you have.

Total bulpoop.

Greek gods
Zeus
Hera
Poseidon
Demeter
Ares
Athena
Apollo
Artemis
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Hermes
Dionysus
Hades
Hypnos
Nike
Janus
Nemesis
Iris
Hecate
Tyche

I count more than 7, dont know about you, then there areare Roman, African, Aztec, Celtic, Egyptian etc, etc, etc gods

And 33 million (thats 33,000,000) hindu gods

As for the rest of your post,. Yawn
You claimed that, out of 4200 gods in Western recorded history, 3800 of them are the "only God, the creator". Where's your evidence for that?

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
New rule.
If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion, you must buy your own birth control or if you really want to follow the tradition you are not allowed to have sex at all until married, you are exempt from biology classes that mention evolution or you are required to go to a christian funded school, and no matter how horrible your health is you cannot have a doctor help you end your life.
There. I've solved the problems that america is having with this whole religious right issue.
If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions. However every one else is not and is free to enjoy the modern advances that have made us better as a species.
The christians are now free to live their lives in St Paul's 1st century view of the world. In fact they can have their own moral police force knocking at the door to make sure all the brides remain virgins until marriage or to haul away any child that says "I hate you" to their parents.
Yes i would even grant that as long as they post it clearly on their business advertisments, they can refuse to serve those that don't follow their faith.

"We only serve card carrying christians sir."

Imagine a world where hypocritical christians must answer to their own people but those who do not profess the faith answer only to the secular laws that are made based on evidence and reason of the current era. Of course, if one looks into the history of early america, one can find at least some of the results of this kind of idea.

I cannot speak for all non-believers. I can say that at the end of the day I'm not concerned what you believe. I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others. It's only then that I step out on these forums to debate.

'Register' as a Christian? Yeah, hard pass thanks.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you want Christians to mandate a law for you? The Golden Rule is in full effect, don't set rules for others if you're unwilling to also live by some rule.

New rule. Atheists can't have children except by making them through abiogenesis because they don't believe life comes a source. No? Then shush.

Recognize your own hypocrisy before calling others hypocritical monsters.

Meh, I don't like your new rule, but I get that you were provoked. Your last line did remind me of a favourite saying the OP should take heed of though.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm fairly certain that number is just the result of a joke about how many deities in the varieties of Hinduism there are, not that there are literally 33 million Hindu deities. I doubt they have much more than polytheist cultures in general tend to have, like China or Japan.

33 million is an estimate best likened to a government model with Krishna being head of state with departments to administer specific tasks/areas. Each department employs enough people to run the local management, they in turn employ people to do the work.

Take the us gov employing 14 million people for a population of 350 million for example. There are over a billion hindus.

To me this is a waste of government time and resources. It gets government far too involved in the citizen's personal life which is a power of government I will never support. Just call them hypocrites and be done with it.
The problem is that although i totally understand your logic in this, the religious right is more than willing to spend money and time in politics to push their morals on others. As i have said, just look at the religiously motivated laws that have passed or have been put on the table. Each one of those bills cost time and money that tax payers funded. If i could just call them hypocrites and be done I would but I cant see any other way around the fact that action must be taken in the political field.

Everyone's beliefs affect their vote. I don't see how your beliefs are less concerning to me; than mine are to you. That's why we have a republic and democratic system. Checks and balances etc.
Because my vote is not based on what some 1st century guy wrote. I understand that the bible does have some very good lessons from the past but as we move into the future, the knowledge we gain should be considered more important. As I have said, when one bases their votes on 1st century thinking because they believe it was divinely inspired it's really hard to convince that voter with evidence. I do not want to live in the 1st century.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Would you want Christians to mandate a law for you? The Golden Rule is in full effect, don't set rules for others if you're unwilling to also live by some rule.
It doesn't seem to be in effect for Christians... at least that isn't the impression I get from my news feed.

... but if you'd like to explain how this week's religious hypocrisy is in line with the Golden Rule, I'm all ears:

Crucifix represents Christian values but isn't a religious symbol, Quebec's incoming premier says | CBC News

ChristineM

Premium Member
You claimed that, out of 4200 gods in Western recorded history, 3800 of them are the "only God, the creator". Where's your evidence for that?

My history prof based on the number of religions, and their explanation to the creation of the universe/earth/firmament etc

Faithofchristian

New rule.
If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion, you must buy your own birth control or if you really want to follow the tradition you are not allowed to have sex at all until married, you are exempt from biology classes that mention evolution or you are required to go to a christian funded school, and no matter how horrible your health is you cannot have a doctor help you end your life.
There. I've solved the problems that america is having with this whole religious right issue.
If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions. However every one else is not and is free to enjoy the modern advances that have made us better as a species.
The christians are now free to live their lives in St Paul's 1st century view of the world. In fact they can have their own moral police force knocking at the door to make sure all the brides remain virgins until marriage or to haul away any child that says "I hate you" to their parents.
Yes i would even grant that as long as they post it clearly on their business advertisments, they can refuse to serve those that don't follow their faith.

Imagine a world where hypocritical christians must answer to their own people but those who do not profess the faith answer only to the secular laws that are made based on evidence and reason of the current era. Of course, if one looks into the history of early america, one can find at least some of the results of this kind of idea.

I cannot speak for all non-believers. I can say that at the end of the day I'm not concerned what you believe. I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others. It's only then that I step out on these forums to debate.

When I vote, I make sure that my vote is line with the Lord Christ Jesus.

While Christ Jesus was here on Earth, he said unto his disciples ---"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven" Matthew 19:14

Explain exactly how does Abortions fit into what Christ Jesus said ?

What about gay marriage?
Christ Jesus said ---"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female"
5 "And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh" Matthew 19:4-5.

So how exactly does gay marriage fit into that?

For a Christian to vote Democrat that vote stands against Christ Jesus. For everything democrats stand for, stands against Christ Jesus the Lord.

As a Christian I would not want to face Christ Jesus on Judgement day. To be ask why i stood against him.

For we all shall stand before the judgement seat of Christ Jesus. Romans 14:10

Greater is he that is within you, than he that is in the world.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
My history prof based on the number of religions, and their explanation to the creation of the universe/earth/firmament etc
Your history professor clearly doesn't understand any of those religions, then... He's basically saying that most of those religions only had one god which was also the creator, going by the ratio you gave of 3800 to 4200. We know that monotheism has historically been a rather rare phenomenon in the history of world religions. What was far more common is that you have one creator god, or multiple creator gods, and then a plethora of gods who came after. In very few religions was there ever an "only God".

Sanzbir

You opinion is noted, ultimately it is still opinion.

You are welcome to any account you want, please note, i haven't and dont really care what accounts you have.

Total bulpoop.

Greek gods
Zeus
Hera
Poseidon
Demeter
Ares
Athena
Apollo
Artemis
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Hermes
Dionysus
Hades
Hypnos
Nike
Janus
Nemesis
Iris
Hecate
Tyche

I count more than 7, dont know about you, then there areare Roman, African, Aztec, Celtic, Egyptian etc, etc, etc gods

And 33 million (thats 33,000,000) hindu gods

As for the rest of your post,. Yawn

Yeah, my assertion of there being seven gods is "Total bulpoop [sic]".

That was the point but apparently you were somehow incapable of realizing that I was making that absurd claim on purpose.

I made the absurd claim and as "proof" linked to a posted question on quora.com. Which is the exact same proof as your proof for the 4,200 number. You also posted a link to a question on quora.com!!

You see, and I can't believe I have to painfully spell this out for you, I made a "Total bulpoop [sic]" assertion and backed it up with the same "evidence" as you did to show that your own standard for evidence is "Total bulpoop [sic]". XD My assertion was supposed to be stupid, and through that show the stupidity of what you consider "evidence" for a claim. Because my intentionally stupid claim had the same level of evidence as your own claim.

But apparently you couldn't figure that out on your own.

And here's the kicker.

Check that link you posted as your proof again. There is an answer to that quora question you posted about 4,200 gods where the poster says that the "4,200" figure is not the number of historical gods at all, but is in fact the number of current, existing religions.

Of course that poster has no proof to back them up, but you don't have any either, and your own "proof" contradicts your own statement. 4,200 current religions, not 4,200 historical gods. I can't believe you didn't even bother reading your own linked "source".

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
'Register' as a Christian? Yeah, hard pass thanks.
In some European countries, you do in fact register your religious affiliation, like in Germany and Austria. That way, part of your taxes go to supporting your chosen religious institution--the so-called "church tax". Which generally means not much gets put in the collection plate, for somewhat obvious reasons.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Your history professor clearly doesn't understand any of those religions, then... He's basically saying that most of those religions only had one god which was also the creator, going by the ratio you gave of 3800 to 4200. We know that monotheism has historically been a rather rare phenomenon in the history of world religions. What was far more common is that you have one creator god, or multiple creator gods, and then a plethora of gods who came after. In very few religions was there ever an "only God".

So his phd in religious history is superceded by an RF poster, fair enough.

Many religions shared gods.

Did i not say "the only god, the creator"? Perhaps i should have been more specific and said "the only and/or the creator god"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
New rule.

1) Illogical, Sarek!

2) Only Sith speak in absolutes, Kenobi!

3) Christianity is a religion made up of volunteer service, not compulsory service. Salvation is free, sanctification comes with sacrifice.

4) How about instead of the minority/plurality of Christians are forced to behaviors, all the sinners are forced instead? Then I can leave my car and home unlocked by day and by night, and have no fear for myself or my children!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yeah, my assertion of there being seven gods is "Total bulpoop [sic]".

That was the point but apparently you were somehow incapable of realizing that I was making that absurd claim on purpose.

I made the absurd claim and as "proof" linked to a posted question on quora.com. Which is the exact same proof as your proof for the 4,200 number. You also posted a link to a question on quora.com!!

You see, and I can't believe I have to painfully spell this out for you, I made a "Totalbulpoop [sic]" assertion and backed it up with the same evidence as you did to show that your own standard for evidence is "Total bulpoop [sic]". XD My assertion was supposed to be stupid, and through that show the stupidity of what you consider "evidence" for a claim. Because my intentionally stupid claim had the same level of evidence as your own claim.

But apparently you couldn't figure that out on your own.

And here's the kicker.

Check that link you posted as your proof again. There is an answer to that quora question you posted about 4,200 gods where the poster says that the "4,200" figure is not the number of historical gods at all, but is in fact the number of current, existing religions.

Of course that poster has no proof to back them up either, but you don't have either, and your own "proof" contradicts your own statement. 4,200 current religions, not 4,200 historical gods. I can't believe you didn't even bother reading your own linked "source".

You made an absurd claim. I disproved it, your turn

Sanzbir

You made an absurd claim. I disproved it, your turn

:D

I did.

You "disproving" my claim, which you have indeed done, proves that quora.com questions are not sufficient evidence.

Because if they were, then there'd be only seven historical gods, because quora.com says so.

So I disproved your entire source by making you disprove my own claim.

In order to disprove my disproving of you, you have to provide now a better source, as I have gotten you to admit inadvertently that your "source" is garbage.

And again, your own source contradicts you and says that the 4,200 number is about the number of current religions, not the number of historical gods, but apparently you didn't bother to read your own "source".

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
ok...Sanzbir is right, 4208 religions, not `gods`.
Now...go on with it !
There are no `gods`.
And no-one can count the number of Hindu `gods` !

ChristineM

Premium Member
:D

I did.

You "disproving" my claim, which you have indeed done, proves that quora.com questions are not sufficient evidence.

Because if they were, then there'd be only seven historical gods, because quora.com says so.

So I disproved your entire source by making you disprove my own claim.

In order to disprove my disproving of you, you have to provide now a better source, as I have gotten you to admit inadvertently that your "source" is garbage.

And again, your own source contradicts you and says that the 4,200 number is about the number of current religions, not the number of historical gods, but apparently you didn't bother to read your own "source".

No, it proves you made a statement and i disproved it by listing more gods than you claimed., Actually the first 8 in the list disproved your claim.

What, bacon disproves cement? Ok, got ya.

I dont have to do anything, i have already given one source that you dont like and have failed to disprove it and provided a list of greek gods and several religious groupings with multiple gods. Take that back through recorded history and you have around 4200 gods excluding hindu gods.