• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rule

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Don't know how ta break it to ya, but anonymous Quora.com questions are not "research".

Also, this may be the first time you are hearing it, but not everything on the internet is true.

You have problems reading the word "example"

So prove it wrong

74x12

I cannot speak for all non-believers. I can say that at the end of the day I'm not concerned what you believe. I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others. It's only then that I step out on these forums to debate.
Everyone's beliefs affect their vote. I don't see how your beliefs are less concerning to me; than mine are to you. That's why we have a republic and democratic system. Checks and balances etc.

pearl

I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others.

Its a question of identity. Is one a Christian who just happens to live in.....?, or is one a .......who just happens to be a Christian?
I'm sure non religious also vote for what they believe to be the best for the 'common good' or their own.

Sanzbir

You have problems reading the word "example"

So prove it wrong

Okay, I guess today you have to know how evidence works.

You are the one making the claim of "4,200 gods".

I am allowed to dismiss this claim unless you provide evidence.

I am not even saying that there aren't that many gods, I'm just asking you for your evidence. If there are that many, I'd like to know. It'd be an interesting fact and I'd like to know how I can know it if it is indeed true.

So prove it right. You are making the claim, not me. I am making no claim. I do not know the amount of gods that have been worshiped in human history. You are the one asserting a number with absolutely nothing to back it up.

It's on the person making the claim to provide the source to prove it. I can't say "There's an invisible space narwhal flying through the clouds of Jupiter" and demand that YOU prove there isn't one, otherwise you just have to accept my assertion.

This is called, in common internet lexicon, the "burden of proof". And it's all on you.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Okay, I guess today you have to know how evidence works.

You are the one making the claim of "4,200 gods".

I am allowed to dismiss this claim unless you provide evidence.

I am not even saying that there aren't that many gods, I'm just asking you for your evidence. If there are that many, I'd like to know. It'd be an interesting fact and I'd like to know how I can know it if it is indeed true.

So prove it right. You are making the claim, not me. I am making no claim. I do not know the amount of gods that have been worshiped in human history. You are the one asserting a number with absolutely nothing to back it up.

It's on the person making the claim to provide the source to prove it. I can't say "There's an invisible space narwhal flying through the clouds of Jupiter" and demand that YOU prove there isn't one, otherwise you just have to accept my assertion.

This is called, in common internet lexicon, the "burden of proof". And it's all on you.

I provided an example link, you dont like it them tought

You are denying that link, sort it yourself

Sanzbir

I provided an example link, you dont like it them tought

You are denying that link, sort it yourself

The link doesn't go to any statistic. It's not census or survey data. It's just some random person's internet post. It means nothing.

If you want to play that game... well I have a Quora account too so...

Ahem:

You are wrong. There were only seven gods that mankind has worshiped throughout all history.

See, here's a quora question where a guy asks why there are seven gods that were historically worshiped by all of mankind: https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Why-has-mankind-only-created-seven-different-gods-over-its-history

That proves that humanity has worshiped only seven gods, not 4,200!!

See, I know you will be able to look at what I just above in bold and I know that you will realize why what I did makes absolutely no sense and is completely wrong.

The thing is, though, my link providing "evidence" is of the exact same quality as your link containing "evidence". You can obviously tell why my evidence is complete nonsense, and if you can understand why my evidence is complete crap you can understand why yours is not sufficient either. :p

I can link to random internet posts that blindly assert my position ~ALL~DAY~ if you want. Are you ready to give me ~real~ evidence now, or do you accept my evidence and agree that the number of historical gods is seven, not 4,200. :p :p :p :p

Edit: Fun fact!! In the link you yourself posted there is a person who posted an answer who states that the 4,200 number is in fact misquoted and that the number does not refer to the number of gods but something else entirely. Of course that lady doesn't provide her sources either, so I don't know why I should trust her any more than you. Just food for thought that part your own link claims the number is inaccurate.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Regardless of the total number of gods or religions,
how many `gods` are really needed ?
I don't need any to worship,
Earth's Stuff is all I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineM

Premium Member
The link doesn't go to any statistic. It's not census or survey data. It's just some random person's internet post. It means nothing.

If you want to play that game... well I have a Quora account too so...

You opinion is noted, ultimately it is still opinion.

You are welcome to any account you want, please note, i haven't and dont really care what accounts you have.

You are wrong. There were only seven gods that mankind has worshiped throughout all history.

Total bulpoop.

Greek gods
Zeus
Hera
Poseidon
Demeter
Ares
Athena
Apollo
Artemis
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Hermes
Dionysus
Hades
Hypnos
Nike
Janus
Nemesis
Iris
Hecate
Tyche

I count more than 7, dont know about you, then there areare Roman, African, Aztec, Celtic, Egyptian etc, etc, etc gods

And 33 million (thats 33,000,000) hindu gods

As for the rest of your post,. Yawn

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You opinion is noted, ultimately it is still opinion.

You are welcome to any account you want, please note, i haven't and dont really care what accounts you have.

Total bulpoop.

Greek gods
Zeus
Hera
Poseidon
Demeter
Ares
Athena
Apollo
Artemis
Hephaestus
Aphrodite
Hermes
Dionysus
Hades
Hypnos
Nike
Janus
Nemesis
Iris
Hecate
Tyche

I count more than 7, dont know about you, then there areare Roman, African, Aztec, Celtic, Egyptian etc, etc, etc gods

And 33 million (thats 33,000,000) hindu gods

As for the rest of your post,. Yawn

Did you know Bacon was a God?
Bacon (god) - Wikipedia

bacon_proves_god_exists_t_shirt-r25c60b299f7440c3bb8e745ec65f7542_k2gm8_307.jpg

sealchan

New rule.
If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion, you must buy your own birth control or if you really want to follow the tradition you are not allowed to have sex at all until married, you are exempt from biology classes that mention evolution or you are required to go to a christian funded school, and no matter how horrible your health is you cannot have a doctor help you end your life.
There. I've solved the problems that america is having with this whole religious right issue.
If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions. However every one else is not and is free to enjoy the modern advances that have made us better as a species.
The christians are now free to live their lives in St Paul's 1st century view of the world. In fact they can have their own moral police force knocking at the door to make sure all the brides remain virgins until marriage or to haul away any child that says "I hate you" to their parents.
Yes i would even grant that as long as they post it clearly on their business advertisments, they can refuse to serve those that don't follow their faith.

"We only serve card carrying christians sir."

Imagine a world where hypocritical christians must answer to their own people but those who do not profess the faith answer only to the secular laws that are made based on evidence and reason of the current era. Of course, if one looks into the history of early america, one can find at least some of the results of this kind of idea.

I cannot speak for all non-believers. I can say that at the end of the day I'm not concerned what you believe. I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others. It's only then that I step out on these forums to debate.

Praise be!

okay. so I made this post to provoke strong reactions. I'm somewhat dissapointed.
Still I will try to muster a better discussion on the topic.
In America we are seeing a strong right wing religious front pushing for "morals" that they believe every one should live by.
What's funny is that not long ago many states already had things like laws against fornication and birth control to single people. No one thought twice about giving homosexuals equal rights. Creation was taught as fact. So as to answer one of the first comments... the Christians did make laws that affected others.
on or about the time of the Scopes monkey trial, religion started to lose hold of our culture. It was a small step but it was bold. Then came Madylenn O'hare. She didn't feel right about making her child recite manditory bible prayers in a public school. This was absolutely scandalous. Then came birth control and abortion rights so that women could have jobs and careers while still holding on to a relationship. Many even having authority over men (too bad st paul).
Now we have a waive of atheists, agnostics, and free thinkers that are challenging the pedestal of christian morality.
This had to stop as far as the Jesus followers were concerned and so now they put into office any one, no matter how immoral, that will promote their view of life on others. If you don't believe me just look at the religiously motivated laws that have been past or suggested in the last 5 years.
On the other hand I want to point to a group of christians known as the Ammish. There are other names for similar groups but one thing many have in common is that they don't vote unless its a local law that affects them.
They live their lives according to their faith and bother no one on how they live unless its one of their own.
In other words, they police themselves. I can almost be certain that the new atheist movement is not due to anything the Ammish ever did.
One of the comments was that suddenly many folks wouldn't claim to be christian if the laws had real teeth to enforce. I believe that. Sadly I see most christains are only pretending faith because of culture acceptance and fear of the unknown.
I realize that a nation cannot have separate laws for various ethnic groups and call themselves a fair country to live in. I also realize that the religious have the right to vote as they see fit.
What I don't think the they realize is that some of the ideas that were posited in the first century are harmful now.
It seems no matter how much evidence I show to support this I get only excuses and verbal dodges.
To this end then I purposed a way to solve this problem. Of course, once the majority of "christians" were held accountable to the Bible I would bet anything that christianity would not be long for this world.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
okay. so I made this post to provoke strong reactions. I'm somewhat dissapointed.
Still I will try to muster a better discussion on the topic.
In America we are seeing a strong right wing religious front pushing for "morals" that they believe every one should live by.
What's funny is that not long ago many states already had things like laws against fornication and birth control to single people. No one thought twice about giving homosexuals equal rights. Creation was taught as fact. So as to answer one of the first comments... the Christians did make laws that affected others.
on or about the time of the Scopes monkey trial, religion started to lose hold of our culture. It was a small step but it was bold. Then came Madylenn O'hare. She didn't feel right about making her child recite manditory bible prayers in a public school. This was absolutely scandalous. Then came birth control and abortion rights so that women could have jobs and careers while still holding on to a relationship. Many even having authority over men (too bad st paul).
Now we have a waive of atheists, agnostics, and free thinkers that are challenging the pedestal of christian morality.
This had to stop as far as the Jesus followers were concerned and so now they put into office any one, no matter how immoral, that will promote their view of life on others. If you don't believe me just look at the religiously motivated laws that have been past or suggested in the last 5 years.
On the other hand I want to point to a group of christians known as the Ammish. There are other names for similar groups but one thing many have in common is that they don't vote unless its a local law that affects them.
They live their lives according to their faith and bother no one on how they live unless its one of their own.
In other words, they police themselves. I can almost be certain that the new atheist movement is not due to anything the Ammish ever did.
One of the comments was that suddenly many folks wouldn't claim to be christian if the laws had real teeth to enforce. I believe that. Sadly I see most christains are only pretending faith because of culture acceptance and fear of the unknown.
I realize that a nation cannot have separate laws for various ethnic groups and call themselves a fair country to live in. I also realize that the religious have the right to vote as they see fit.
What I don't think the they realize is that some of the ideas that were posited in the first century are harmful now.
It seems no matter how much evidence I show to support this I get only excuses and verbal dodges.
To this end then I purposed a way to solve this problem. Of course, once the majority of "christians" were held accountable to the Bible I would bet anything that christianity would not be long for this world.
The religious right in America was at its strongest in the '80s through the early 2000s. It's been on the decline since the end the Bush Jr administration. They're aging, their leaders are dying off from old age (like Falwell) and Christianity is declining in the US. That's partially why we have Trump as the new face of the GOP and he did not campaign on faith and family values. It will be dead soon.

Shad

Veteran Member
New rule.
If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion, you must buy your own birth control or if you really want to follow the tradition you are not allowed to have sex at all until married, you are exempt from biology classes that mention evolution or you are required to go to a christian funded school, and no matter how horrible your health is you cannot have a doctor help you end your life.
There. I've solved the problems that america is having with this whole religious right issue.
If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions. However every one else is not and is free to enjoy the modern advances that have made us better as a species.
The christians are now free to live their lives in St Paul's 1st century view of the world. In fact they can have their own moral police force knocking at the door to make sure all the brides remain virgins until marriage or to haul away any child that says "I hate you" to their parents.
Yes i would even grant that as long as they post it clearly on their business advertisments, they can refuse to serve those that don't follow their faith.

"We only serve card carrying christians sir."

Imagine a world where hypocritical christians must answer to their own people but those who do not profess the faith answer only to the secular laws that are made based on evidence and reason of the current era. Of course, if one looks into the history of early america, one can find at least some of the results of this kind of idea.

To me this is a waste of government time and resources. It gets government far too involved in the citizen's personal life which is a power of government I will never support. Just call them hypocrites and be done with it.