• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rule

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So how exactly does gay marriage fit into that?
"Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." - Matthew 22:39

It "fits in" because prohibiting same-sex marriage inflicts all sorts of evil and uncharitableness on same-sex couples and their children, and in the Gospels, Jesus commands his followers to avoid evil and act charitably.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That all depends on who your voting for and what their platform stands on.
No, I mean the voting process in general. Throughout the Gospels, Jesus reinforces the idea that his followers will be out on the fringes of society, not participating in the ways of the world. Voting is one way that we participate in the world.

If you're doing as Christ commanded his disciples - going from village to village with nothing but a begging bowl preaching the Gospel - what address do you use to register to vote?

Faithofchristian

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." - Matthew 22:39

It "fits in" because prohibiting same-sex marriage inflicts all sorts of evil and uncharitableness on same-sex couples and their children, and in the Gospels, Jesus commands his followers to avoid evil and act charitably.

That all depends on who your neighbour is.

Have you any idea, when Jesus spoke those words to the people of Israel . Who was Israel's closest neighbor at that time?

Faithofchristian

No, I mean the voting process in general. Throughout the Gospels, Jesus reinforces the idea that his followers will be out on the fringes of society, not participating in the ways of the world. Voting is one way that we participate in the world.

If you're doing as Christ commanded his disciples - going from village to village with nothing but a begging bowl preaching the Gospel - what address do you use to register to vote?

Since you have no idea what Christ Jesus supports and does not support.

I vote for those that are closet to Christ Jesus standards.

I don't where you get your ideas at, but your ideas are not in line with Christ Jesus

You seem to think that a Christian should just set back and doing nothing.

That is not the way it is. We have voice in how we want the government to work , just as much as anyone else.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That all depends on who your neighbour is.

Have you any idea, when Jesus spoke those words to the people of Israel . Who was Israel's closest neighbor at that time?
Samaria - the long-standing enemy of Israel. They attacked Israel on multiple occasions and rejected Israel's God and religion, but the good Samaritan was still praised by Jesus for helping a person in need when "righteous" people refused to help.

Same-sex marriage is the help. Without it, all sorts of evils are imposed on same-sex couples: they can be refused comfort from their loved ones when dying, they can have their children taken away, they can have their assets seized... but all that can be relieved by same-sex marriage.

The whole point of the story of the Good Samaritan is to praise those who act out of charity and condemn those who let their religion blind them to the suffering of others.

Faithofchristian

What about disciple Matthew he was a republican and a tax collector.
So how does this fit into your idea of what you think a disciple should be and should not be.

Faithofchristian

Samaria - the long-standing enemy of Israel. They attacked Israel on multiple occasions and rejected Israel's God and religion, but the good Samaritan was still praised by Jesus for helping a person in need when "righteous" people refused to help.

Same-sex marriage is the help. Without it, all sorts of evils are imposed on same-sex couples: they can be refused comfort from their loved ones when dying, they can have their children taken away, they can have their assets seized... but all that can be relieved by same-sex marriage.

The whole point of the story of the Good Samaritan is to praise those who act out of charity and condemn those who let their religion blind them to the suffering of others.

You can't be serious, Samaritan's the enemy of Israel. Where ever did you ever come up with that idea.
That only shows that you have no idea who the Samaritan's are.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Since you have no idea what Christ Jesus supports and does not support.

I vote for those that are closet to Christ Jesus standards.

I don't where you get your ideas at, but your ideas are not in line with Christ Jesus
Jesus said that his kingdom was "not of this world" and stands apart from the kingdoms of Earth and invited people to choose one or the other.

Do you need me to cite specific verses?

You seem to think that a Christian should just set back and doing nothing.
It's weird for me to hear a Christian call preaching the Gospel and trusting God "doing nothing." This seems a very atheistic view.

That is not the way it is. We have voice in how we want the government to work , just as much as anyone else.
I do work to improve society because I think I have to: I don't have faith that a god or angels will swoop down and make everything better. If you want to shape the world to match your own vision, I take this as a sign that you don't have faith that God or Christ can do this on his own.

74x12

Because my vote is not based on what some 1st century guy wrote. I understand that the bible does have some very good lessons from the past but as we move into the future, the knowledge we gain should be considered more important. As I have said, when one bases their votes on 1st century thinking because they believe it was divinely inspired it's really hard to convince that voter with evidence. I do not want to live in the 1st century.
The 1st century and other historical periods have a lot of good to offer us.

What about Plato or Socrates? Should people that are influenced by these philosophers be allowed to vote? They may be dangerous!

Maybe you believe we should only be influenced by the likes of hollyweird or TV celebrities and other modern "examples" of advanced human cognitive function. :p

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You can't be serious, Samaritan's the enemy of Israel. Where ever did you ever come up with that idea.
That only shows that you have no idea who the Samaritan's are.
Learn your own religion's history. Google is your friend:

Jesus' target audience, the Jews, hated Samaritans[7] to such a degree that they destroyed the Samaritans' temple on Mount Gerizim.[8]

[...]

The Samaritans in turn hated the Jews.[11]Tensions were particularly high in the early decades of the 1st century because Samaritans had desecrated the Jewish Temple at Passover with human bones.[12]
Parable of the Good Samaritan - Wikipedia

Faithofchristian

Jesus said that his kingdom was "not of this world" and stands apart from the kingdoms of Earth and invited people to choose one or the other.

Do you need me to cite specific verses?

It's weird for me to hear a Christian call preaching the Gospel and trusting God "doing nothing." This seems a very atheistic view.

I do work to improve society because I think I have to: I don't have faith that a god or angels will swoop down and make everything better. If you want to shape the world to match your own vision, I take this as a sign that you don't have faith that God or Christ can do this on his own.

If you do not have faith or believe in God,
Then why do you even bother trying to quote the bible in the first place.

Your just making yourself look foolish.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
So his phd in religious history is superceded by an RF poster, fair enough.

Many religions shared gods.

Did i not say "the only god, the creator"? Perhaps i should have been more specific and said "the only and/or the creator god"
Yes, that would have been much clearer, thanks to the rules of the English language concerning commas and conjunctions. The way you initially put it implied that "the only god" for each religion was synonymous with "the creator", with no room for the existence of other gods.

Faithofchristian

Learn your own religion's history. Google is your friend:

Parable of the Good Samaritan - Wikipedia

If to what you say, to be true, then why are you going to Google yourself, your just making yourself look foolish.

In the Parable of the good Samaritan, there's four men, one was hurt and two of them pass by the man that was hurt, and the other man stop to help the man that was hurt. So who were those four men?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, that would have been much clearer, thanks to the rules of the English language concerning commas and conjunctions. The way you initially put it implied that "the only god" for each religion was synonymous with "the creator", with no room for the existence of other gods.

I apologize for my misuse of english.

Sanzbir

No, it proves you made a statement and i disproved it by listing more gods than you claimed., Actually the first 8 in the list disproved your claim.

What, bacon disproves cement? Ok, got ya.

I dont have to do anything, i have already given one source that you dont like and have failed to disprove it and provided a list of greek gods and several religious groupings with multiple gods. Take that back through recorded history and you have around 4200 gods

PLEASE.

I just want a source on that claim!! A good source, not this quora crap!!

Your Quora Link says this.

https://www.quora.com/Which-if-any-...n-throughout-history-are-true-How-do-you-know

"Krister Sundelin Answered Mar 23: "it’s 4,200 current religions, of which most are polytheistic and has many gods, and not counting the dead ones that are just myth or that are lost forever."

Your own source says there are not 4,200 gods, but 4,200 religions. Your source (which again I think is a bad source) says this.

According to your own source your number is wrong.

Just ignore the seven gods thing... apparently you are incapable of figuring out the basic thing I was trying to demonstrate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If to what you say, to be true, then why are you going to Google yourself, your just making yourself look foolish.

In the Parable of the good Samaritan, there's four men, one was hurt and two of them pass by the man that was hurt, and the other man stop to help the man that was hurt. So who were those four men?
The two who passed by were religiously observant people, highly regarded by their religious communities. The Samaritan who stopped was seen as an outsider and enemy, but he was praised by Jesus because he acted out of charity instead of out of religion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
PLEASE.

I just want a source on that claim!! A good source, not this quora crap!!

Your Quora Link says this.

https://www.quora.com/Which-if-any-...n-throughout-history-are-true-How-do-you-know

"Krister Sundelin Answered Mar 23: "it’s 4,200 current religions, of which most are polytheistic and has many gods, and not counting the dead ones that are just myth or that are lost forever."

Your own source says there are not 4,200 gods, but 4,200 religions. Your source (which again I think is a bad source) says this.

According to your own source your number is wrong.

Just ignore the seven gods thing... apparently you are incapable of figuring out the basic thing I was trying to demonstrate.

My source was good at the time of posting, since then quora has changed forcing a login which i am not willing to do so i am unable to check.

My source was my history professor of many years ago. Quora was an example (as stated) that confirmed this.

There are many more sources, not all complete but with enough data combined to confirm "about 4200" (also as stated)

A big list of Gods (but nowhere near all of them) | The Rational Response Squad

A List Of Gods Throughout History

More academic
https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Gods-Over-Deities-World/dp/0816029091

Close on a million google scholar results for "gods throughout history"
Google Scholar

And over 88k scholar results for "gods goddesses"

Google Scholar