• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rule

Kelly of the Phoenix

We shouldn’t have laws against theft just because the Bible mentions it. Luckily, laws against things like theft and murder don’t depend on the Bible for their justification.
Indeed. I'm an RN, so I have "evidenced based practice" shoved down my throat often. At one workplace, the boss would go so far as to demand a scholarly article if a policy was to change. I admired that. I think all laws should be evidenced-based only. I'm so tired of laws being invented because some idiot somewhere doesn't understand how things work.

Indeed. I'm an RN, so I have "evidenced based practice" shoved down my throat often. At one workplace, the boss would go so far as to demand a scholarly article if a policy was to change. I admired that. I think all laws should be evidenced-based only. I'm so tired of laws being invented because some idiot somewhere doesn't understand how things work.
I am a Medical lab tech so every thing i do is based on evidence. from what I have studied, most laws that are based on empathy and the well being of humanity are good ones to follow and the evidence shows this over and over again. I could go into several key arguments that the religious drone about and show that many of their main points are not backed by what the data shows.

Abortions are biblical, though. The bible is not even remotely pro-life.

When I'm in a bad mood, I, too, would like to see some kind of law that makes people reap what they sow.

It's more like punishing hypocrisy by forcing them to live by their own rules. Those of us who don't believe such rules are divine would be exempt. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." If we are going to be held to the standards we ourselves hold, then let's have some fun with that.

I would imagine unlike most Christians, others know how reproduction works.

I once read a story where a Chinese philosopher was told the kingdom had many Confucians, but hardly any of that guy's followers. He said, "hey, let's make a rule that if you dress up like a Confucian but don't act like one, you are killed." The king was like, "LOL," and made it a law. Suddenly, there was only ONE Confucian. :p

Of course it's ridiculous. I need a laugh this morning. Besides, hypocrisy is my biggest pet peeve.

My grandfather was a staunch Southern Baptist. He believed alcohol was a sin. As we got older, it came out that he had a brother with a drinking problem. As we got even older, it came out OUR GRANDFATHER was a little hellion back in the day, even doing drag races and stuff (the ones with the cars, not the outfits). He said he never had a motorcycle and yet we had a picture of him with one (he claimed it was one of his military officer's).

I never understood the concept of banning alcohol in a religion that teaches the Messiah went so far as to poof up magic alcohol for a party. It didn't cure cancer or anything. It was just so everyone could get super drunk.

Curious goal for a Vulcan. But, then again, even Vulcans had to own up to their emotional hypocrisy eventually. Spock created the reboot universe after trying to fuse Vulcan and Romulan cultures, realizing that logic wasn't all it was cracked up to be. In fact, in Enterprise, we realize all that pro-logic stuff was more or less an arbitrary religious or social rule, which means, ironically, that "devotion was logic" was set up for purely emotional reasons.

And drugs are becoming a problem with that group. And they are experts at hypocrisy. I can go to a local Amish furniture store and some "English" will be manning the cash register because the Amish can't do credit cards, but they sure don't mind taking my money from that card as long as they don't touch it. Then there are the reality shows they get involved in. And then there's the grossly immoral "shunning", which is not even just an Amish thing, but I find it immoral to shun someone just for the hell of it. Sure, protect your society from violent criminals or whatever, but if you never see your child again because they took a test drive in a car, you don't deserve family whatsoever.

Yes. It's a theological fandom. It's for social acceptance, nothing more, for soooooo many people. The Way is more of a hypothetical exercise for them. They say morality is objective and your soul depends on it but will drop it like a hot potato when the whim suits them. I've heard Christians tell me that if God told them to do something immoral, they'd do it because God said it was okay. I'm sorry, but if morals are important, shouldn't one stand up to God and decline to be immoral? If I go to hell for being moral but not a boot licker ... worth it.

I realize there is just the abyss and we are all one with it. :p

As I recall, Christians tried somewhere to make cohabitation against the law to punish polygamists. That law was quickly shot down when they realized it would mean THEY couldn't have mistresses and stuff either.

The lesson I get about a book describing the on again/off again existence of a nation of God's Chosen People is that xenophobic theocracies are a surefire way to avoid ever having a long-lasting country. Ancient Israel was done in just a few generations. It is NOT a blueprint for a successful country.

The God of the bible must not be able to do much on His own because He keeps hiring humans to do the work. I mean, the world was there less than a week before he created a garden attendant just so He didn't have to pick up unicorn poop or whatever. :)

I'm confused. Did Plato or Socrates write the Constitution?

In "Don't Know the Bible", the author notes the modern equivalent would be "the Good Muslim Terrorist."
I did not know that the Ammish had drug problems. That's interesting. Not surprising though. When ever you try to place extreme restrictions on human behavior (i mean extreme) then the common person will explode in some way.
No. Neither Plato nor Socrates wrote the constitution but they did lay the foundation for western thinking once it was uncovered and brought back to the christian world. I do believe it was one of the reasons for the renisaince. Damn pagans... always asking questions.