• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rule

Sanzbir

My source was good at the time of posting, since then quora has changed forcing a login which i am not willing to do so i am unable to check.

It was not. The post that stated against you was made in May. You did not read your own "source".

My source was my history professor of many years ago. Quora was an example (as stated) that confirmed this.

Your professor should have taught you that your "example" confirmed nothing in truth. Because that's not how evidence works.

There are many more sources, not all complete but with enough data combined to confirm "about 4200" (also as stated)

A big list of Gods (but nowhere near all of them) | The Rational Response Squad

A List Of Gods Throughout History

More academic
https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Gods-Over-Deities-World/dp/0816029091

Close on a million google scholar results for "gods throughout history"
Google Scholar

And over 88k scholar results for "gods goddesses"

Google Scholar

Hey, you know what's not in any of these??

Okay, I get it, you don't actually have any sources or evidence for this number, you misremembered something your professor told you, and now you're either to embarrassed to admit you have no evidence for your numbers, or you honestly have no idea what proper evidence is and think that you've provided something when in fact you've provided nothing that supports your number.

Probably the latter.

No need to say anything more, I get it, you have no intention of giving me a scrap of proper data I could use to learn with.

Faithofchristian

The two who passed by were religiously observant people, highly regarded by their religious communities. The Samaritan who stopped was seen as an outsider and enemy, but he was praised by Jesus because he acted out of charity instead of out of religion.

First of all, the Samaritan's were not an enemy to Israel.
The Samaritan's were part Jew and part Samaritan. Being half breeds.

If you had studied it out in the bible about how the Samaritan people first came about. Instead of going to Google. You might find out things.

In the book of John 4:1-12.
Now notice in Verse 5, that Jacob owned a parcel of land and gave it to his son Joseph. Now Joseph had two sons.
By which is how the Samaritan people came about, being half Jew and half Samaritan.
By the which Joseph called his two sons, the first born was name Manasseh, the second son Ephraim. Genesis 41:51-52.

Now in Verse 12, Notice the Samaritan woman said to Jesus ( Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well) Notice Jacob as being the Samaritan woman's father) This is how the Samaritan people became half Jew and half Samaritan. From Jacob to Joseph and to Joseph two sons. Half Jew and half Samaritan. It was thru Joseph two sons, how the Samaritan people came about. Being half Jew and half Samaritan.

1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

3 He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.

4 And he must needs go through Samaria.

5 Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.

6 Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.

7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)

9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In some European countries, you do in fact register your religious affiliation, like in Germany and Austria. That way, part of your taxes go to supporting your chosen religious institution--the so-called "church tax". Which generally means not much gets put in the collection plate, for somewhat obvious reasons.

Yep...I know it happens, and I know it's not always nefarious. But it should always be optional, and on balance I'm sticking with 'hard pass'.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It was not. The post that stated against you was made in May. You did not read your own "source".

Your professor should have taught you that your "example" confirmed nothing in truth. Because that's not how evidence works.

Hey, you know what's not in any of these??

Okay, I get it, you don't actually have any sources or evidence for this number, you misremembered something your professor told you, and now you're either to embarrassed to admit you have no evidence for your numbers, or you honestly have no idea what proper evidence is and think that you've provided something when in fact you've provided nothing that supports your number.

Probably the latter.

No need to say anything more, I get it, you have no intention of giving me a scrap of proper data I could use to learn with.

May? what are you talking about?

It is how confirmation woks

Which is why I stated "not all complete but with enough data combined to confirm "about 4200" (also as stated)" seems you are having selective dificulty reading.

You make the statement that I misrememberd... PROVE IT

I provided several (thousand) links, what is embarrasing, the fact refuse to acknowledge them

Kelly of the Phoenix

If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion
Abortions are biblical, though. The bible is not even remotely pro-life.

If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions.
When I'm in a bad mood, I, too, would like to see some kind of law that makes people reap what they sow.

Would you want Christians to mandate a law for you? The Golden Rule is in full effect, don't set rules for others if you're unwilling to also live by some rule.
It's more like punishing hypocrisy by forcing them to live by their own rules. Those of us who don't believe such rules are divine would be exempt. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." If we are going to be held to the standards we ourselves hold, then let's have some fun with that.

New rule. Atheists can't have children except by making them through abiogenesis because they don't believe life comes a source.
I would imagine unlike most Christians, others know how reproduction works.

I don't either. It's almost as if the opening poster fails to recognize that Christianity is a diverse umbrella of many different religions with different teachings and practices. They also demonstrate a failure to recognize hypocrisy is universally human and hardly limited to those that they regard as "Christian."
I once read a story where a Chinese philosopher was told the kingdom had many Confucians, but hardly any of that guy's followers. He said, "hey, let's make a rule that if you dress up like a Confucian but don't act like one, you are killed." The king was like, "LOL," and made it a law. Suddenly, there was only ONE Confucian. :p

Aside from the fact the OP is ridiculous
Of course it's ridiculous. I need a laugh this morning. Besides, hypocrisy is my biggest pet peeve.

Many Baptist churches prohibit drinking.
My grandfather was a staunch Southern Baptist. He believed alcohol was a sin. As we got older, it came out that he had a brother with a drinking problem. As we got even older, it came out OUR GRANDFATHER was a little hellion back in the day, even doing drag races and stuff (the ones with the cars, not the outfits). He said he never had a motorcycle and yet we had a picture of him with one (he claimed it was one of his military officer's).

I never understood the concept of banning alcohol in a religion that teaches the Messiah went so far as to poof up magic alcohol for a party. It didn't cure cancer or anything. It was just so everyone could get super drunk.

okay. so I made this post to provoke strong reactions. I'm somewhat dissapointed.
Curious goal for a Vulcan. But, then again, even Vulcans had to own up to their emotional hypocrisy eventually. Spock created the reboot universe after trying to fuse Vulcan and Romulan cultures, realizing that logic wasn't all it was cracked up to be. In fact, in Enterprise, we realize all that pro-logic stuff was more or less an arbitrary religious or social rule, which means, ironically, that "devotion was logic" was set up for purely emotional reasons.

They live their lives according to their faith and bother no one on how they live unless its one of their own.
In other words, they police themselves. I can almost be certain that the new atheist movement is not due to anything the Ammish ever did.
And drugs are becoming a problem with that group. And they are experts at hypocrisy. I can go to a local Amish furniture store and some "English" will be manning the cash register because the Amish can't do credit cards, but they sure don't mind taking my money from that card as long as they don't touch it. Then there are the reality shows they get involved in. And then there's the grossly immoral "shunning", which is not even just an Amish thing, but I find it immoral to shun someone just for the hell of it. Sure, protect your society from violent criminals or whatever, but if you never see your child again because they took a test drive in a car, you don't deserve family whatsoever.

Sadly I see most christains are only pretending faith because of culture acceptance and fear of the unknown.
Yes. It's a theological fandom. It's for social acceptance, nothing more, for soooooo many people. The Way is more of a hypothetical exercise for them. They say morality is objective and your soul depends on it but will drop it like a hot potato when the whim suits them. I've heard Christians tell me that if God told them to do something immoral, they'd do it because God said it was okay. I'm sorry, but if morals are important, shouldn't one stand up to God and decline to be immoral? If I go to hell for being moral but not a boot licker ... worth it.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
I realize there is just the abyss and we are all one with it. :p

The problem is that although i totally understand your logic in this, the religious right is more than willing to spend money and time in politics to push their morals on others.
As I recall, Christians tried somewhere to make cohabitation against the law to punish polygamists. That law was quickly shot down when they realized it would mean THEY couldn't have mistresses and stuff either.

I understand that the bible does have some very good lessons from the past
The lesson I get about a book describing the on again/off again existence of a nation of God's Chosen People is that xenophobic theocracies are a surefire way to avoid ever having a long-lasting country. Ancient Israel was done in just a few generations. It is NOT a blueprint for a successful country.

If you want to shape the world to match your own vision, I take this as a sign that you don't have faith that God or Christ can do this on his own.
The God of the bible must not be able to do much on His own because He keeps hiring humans to do the work. I mean, the world was there less than a week before he created a garden attendant just so He didn't have to pick up unicorn poop or whatever. :)

What about Plato or Socrates? Should people that are influenced by these philosophers be allowed to vote? They may be dangerous!
I'm confused. Did Plato or Socrates write the Constitution?

The two who passed by were religiously observant people, highly regarded by their religious communities. The Samaritan who stopped was seen as an outsider and enemy, but he was praised by Jesus because he acted out of charity instead of out of religion.
In "Don't Know the Bible", the author notes the modern equivalent would be "the Good Muslim Terrorist."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
First of all, the Samaritan's were not an enemy to Israel.
The Samaritan's were part Jew and part Samaritan. Being half breeds.

If you had studied it out in the bible about how the Samaritan people first came about. Instead of going to Google. You might find out things.
Try reading it yourself! Start with the passage you just quoted:

9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

Faithofchristian

Try reading it yourself! Start with the passage you just quoted:

Had you notice the Samaritan woman said
( For the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritan's)

Theresfore theres no where in that, that says Samaritan's are Israel's enemies.

Just because someone doesn't want no dealings with someone else, does not make them their enemies.
Without a doubt, there's alot of people who don't want to associate with someone else. But that does not make them their enemies.

The reason why Israel didn't want any dealings with the Samaritan was because the Samaritan's were half beeds. Part Jew and part Samaritan. Mix races.

Last edited:

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
New rule.
If you register as Christian you can't get an abortion, you must buy your own birth control or if you really want to follow the tradition you are not allowed to have sex at all until married, you are exempt from biology classes that mention evolution or you are required to go to a christian funded school, and no matter how horrible your health is you cannot have a doctor help you end your life.
There. I've solved the problems that america is having with this whole religious right issue.
If you are Christian you are now required by law to follow you faiths convictions. However every one else is not and is free to enjoy the modern advances that have made us better as a species.
The christians are now free to live their lives in St Paul's 1st century view of the world. In fact they can have their own moral police force knocking at the door to make sure all the brides remain virgins until marriage or to haul away any child that says "I hate you" to their parents.
Yes i would even grant that as long as they post it clearly on their business advertisments, they can refuse to serve those that don't follow their faith.

"We only serve card carrying christians sir."

Imagine a world where hypocritical christians must answer to their own people but those who do not profess the faith answer only to the secular laws that are made based on evidence and reason of the current era. Of course, if one looks into the history of early america, one can find at least some of the results of this kind of idea.

I cannot speak for all non-believers. I can say that at the end of the day I'm not concerned what you believe. I am concerned when your beliefs inform your vote that then affect my life and the lives of others. It's only then that I step out on these forums to debate.
Hmm... people will always vote and promote what they believe & what they feel it is right... even Atheists. Isn't that the way its suppose to work?

As far as Christians, I know they are smart and have a deep desire to do the right thing. The right thing in their minds is following the commandments of God as documented in the bible, and helping the "lost" come to the knowledge of salvation through Christ. If we (the atheist science community) cant be more convincing than a iron age book of translated manuscripts compiled over 3000 years and the preachers who preach it, we have no one to blame but our selves.

Besides that you are decieving yourself if you think all atheist will be unified in the way the will vote.. I know as many conservative atheist as liberal atheist, and they argue more passionately about politics than religion.

Shad

Veteran Member
The problem is that although i totally understand your logic in this, the religious right is more than willing to spend money and time in politics to push their morals on others. As i have said, just look at the religiously motivated laws that have passed or have been put on the table. Each one of those bills cost time and money that tax payers funded. If i could just call them hypocrites and be done I would but I cant see any other way around the fact that action must be taken in the political field.

There is a difference between a group or groups being political active compared to a license, along with a database,Al mandating exclusion from services. More so this can't just stop with Christians but must also include Muslims, Jews, etc, etc, etc. Also does it just end with health services? New exclusion lists can be made covering other beliefs. For example if someone does not believe in democracy, or democratic republics for the US, can that person be exclude from voting due to their belief? Equality before the law becomes a battleground as various groups get rights while other groups do not.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
New rule:

Every person who joins a religion is required to act and behave like the most cliche stereotypes of that religion. Christians must literally thump a bible at least four times a day. Muslim women must always wear Burkas. Buddhists must meditate every hour of the day.

Nonreligious persons are not exempt either. Atheists are required to have neckbeards and fedoras (even the women) and agnostics have to act like the agnostic family from that one episode of South Park.

This, starting now.

:wondering what I do since I mix together about four religions including Buddhism and Christianity:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Had you notice the Samaritan woman said
( For the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritan's)

Theresfore theres no where in that, that says Samaritan's are Israel's enemies.

Just because someone doesn't want no dealings with someone else, does not make them their enemies.
Without a doubt, there's alot of people who don't want to associate with someone else. But that does not make them their enemies.
The Bible corroborates that Israelites and Samaritans were not on speaking terms generally. More details on why they weren't on speaking terms could be found in other sources.

The reason why Israel didn't want any dealings with the Samaritan was because the Samaritan's were half beeds. Part Jew and part Samaritan. Mix races.
Samaritans were half Samaritan? Do you think what you just said makes sense?

BTW: why are you so invested in the idea that they weren't enemies? It doesn't contradict anything in the Bible to acknowledge that they were.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
No, and that is exactly what disgusts so many people -- religious and not religious both -- about right wing Evangelicals and fundamentalist Christians in the US. They try to mandate their religious views through laws imposed on the rest of us.

I was being ummm I guess the word is... fair? If you start being a blowhard dictator, you should fully expect others to start telling you to live your life too. Which goes for fundies types that mandate crap as well. Why we're in this mess.

New rule. No starting threads demanding new rules, if you're not a mod.

Faithofchristian

The Bible corroborates that Israelites and Samaritans were not on speaking terms generally. More details on why they weren't on speaking terms could be found in other sources.

Samaritans were half Samaritan? Do you think what you just said makes sense?

BTW: why are you so invested in the idea that they weren't enemies? It doesn't contradict anything in the Bible to acknowledge that they were.

The Samaritan's were Not full blooded Jews,
The Samaritan's were half blooded Jew and half blooded Samaritan's.

If you notice in John 4:9, The Samaritan woman saying to Jesus ---"Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans"
There's no where in this Verse that makes mentioning the Samaritan's as being the enemy of Israel.

Notice in John 4:12---"Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle"

Here the Samaritan woman speaking to Jesus saying how Jacob being the father of the Samaritan's.
Notice that Jesus did not dispute the Samaritan woman's claim that Jacob being the father of the Samaritan's.

That's because Jacob being the father of Joseph and Joseph had two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim. And from Manasseh came the Samaritan's.
half blooded Jews and half blooded Samaritan's.
Had you studied out about Jacob being the father of the Samaritan's.
And about the two sons of Joseph. How the Samaritan's came to be thru Joseph son Manasseh.

First let me say that i like the picture of Serak. I dont have a PHD in logic. I had to learn more practical things to make a living. second, my new rule post is mostly sarcasm to prove a point. I was mistaken in thinking this group would understand that. I will not make that mistake again.
The Bible. Ah the wonderful bible that the christians or more specifically the dominionists , want our laws to comport with and so vote to affect my life.
#1 none of the supernatural events is corroborated in evidence in any field of science.
#2 the stories appear very much to be in line with the way of life at the time such as slavery and subjugation of women as well as abhorrent treatment from a conquering military.
#3 There is no surviving writings of the first new testaments. In fact there is not one contemporary account of the character of Jesus. Nothing was written, as far as we know, at the time of Jesus about him and certainly nothing from him. All accounts are stories of stories handed down at least 2 decades before they were ever written down at least 30 years latter. The further back you go into the manuscripts that do survive the more mistakes and variations can be seen between them. Most of these changes were just mistakes but some were very important purposeful changes. The bible didnt really become a cohesive book until the 4 century. Before then there were many versions of Jesus's teaching much like today. Some examples include the Marcionites, the Ebionites, and the Gnostics. All of these were declared heresies by the those who called themselves orthodox and they just happen to be the majority at the time. It took 1000 years before another group of christians could break away from this stern law.
Clearly the christian religion is not about freedom of choice in the historical sense. We can talk about why America has freedom of religion if you want but I can tell you it wasn't out of altruistic values of the faith itself.
My point is that to base a vote on these premises that affects everyone else is detrimental to others.
I also pointed out that there are groups of christians that live their lives but do not affect others. Does any one think that these folks wont get to heaven because they didn't vote when the question of marriage equality came up?
I didn't say any one had to support these things. I only ask every one to look at the evidence and make an informed decision.
What I have not seen so far is one theist that denies trying to push biblical values on others through law.
I dont mind the occasional door knocker. they are only trying to convince me to their faith, That's fine. However, when laws are written that force me to comport with the Jesus laws that's a problem.
This post, like all other posts, is merely trying to persuade those reading it to consider living their lives according to their beliefs and to let other do the same.

Kelly of the Phoenix

second, my new rule post is mostly sarcasm to prove a point.
I read a story in grade school where someone argued the Irish should deal with famine by eating babies. I took this thread in that same vein. I'm cool with it.

The Bible. Ah the wonderful bible that the christians or more specifically the dominionists , want our laws to comport with and so vote to affect my life.
Now if only they'd read the whole thing. THAT'S what gets me about evangelicals/fundamentalists: they have a few verses they picked out of a Chick Tract and never read all the places that criticize their very worldview.

They know so little about the bible that you can slap a Quran cover on a bible and read some horrible verses and get them to brag about how the Quran is evil and the bible isn't like that and then WHAMMY them by showing them it's the bible saying those things.

What I have not seen so far is one theist that denies trying to push biblical values on others through law.
The bible mentions lots of things. Should we not have laws against theft because the bible mentions it?

I read a story in grade school where someone argued the Irish should deal with famine by eating babies. I took this thread in that same vein. I'm cool with it.

Now if only they'd read the whole thing. THAT'S what gets me about evangelicals/fundamentalists: they have a few verses they picked out of a Chick Tract and never read all the places that criticize their very worldview.

They know so little about the bible that you can slap a Quran cover on a bible and read some horrible verses and get them to brag about how the Quran is evil and the bible isn't like that and then WHAMMY them by showing them it's the bible saying those things.

The bible mentions lots of things. Should we not have laws against theft because the bible mentions it?
i've seen that video. I found it amusing. However, this highlights my point. Some things in the bible are well and good. These people that are condemning the Bible disguised as the Qoran are being read the portions of the old rules that are obviously bad for today's society.
I never said ALL things the Bible says should not be followed but I'm pretty sure that most folks can agree on many of the laws and morals that make up our laws today. It also seem that most can also recognize when certain old laws are not worth following anymore.