• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental Illness

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'll provide a real example. PopeADope made a thread of awesomeness in Journals. He didn't get real responses to said thread. He got "Have you gone off the deep end?". And though it's a valid point about the 7 threads it was told "You made 7 threads in one day and should slow it down" without anyone actually really contributing to the subject matter. I didn't know what to say, so I wasn't even going to respond, but then I kind of stood up for PopeADope. Saying "Maybe God should convert" is an interesting, creative idea by PopeADope that I hadn't heard before. He even talked about Japanese beliefs and culture, as far as I can tell. And though you may not have agreed with him, I think people can be a bit more awesome than bringing up his condition in every last thread.
Your post is epic!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 21. At age 25, in the midst of it, I joined an internet forum and debated with people. I told people about my Schizophrenia and upon them seeing that I changed my opinions quite a bit at the time because I was often presented with better facts in debates, they urged me to talk to my Psychiatrist about it. So I did. He said I am getting better. I went back and told the forum. They told me to get a second opinion. So I did and the second person was actually curious enough to look over some of the threads, both my posts and the comments. He told me to stop going to the forum because such negativity may hold back my progress. So I did. Anyways:

I think this forum is harsh to people with mental illness, especially those with stronger forms of it. It's not funny at all. All I'm seeing in the threads of those with mental illness are narrow-minded responders who don't know the first thing about the specific condition, doing one of the following:

1. Telling them to see a Psychiatrist instead of posting on the forum

2. Attacking their posting habits

3. Asserting that they can't help them with personal advice because the person with mental illness has mental illness

4. Telling them they're insane because their posting habits don't fit the responder's narrow-minded views

Really not funny. At all.

Also seems like stealth breakage of rule 3, sections 1-3.

I'm not a big fan of complaining without offering proper solutions, so here is what I think the solution is:

Don't treat them like a special (guinea pig) case. You might have to be a little more sympathetic at times, yes, for sure, but they don't want their threads derailed just because they suffer from some condition. Save the personal diagnoses for when people are asking for them very specifically and won't take no for an answer (which never happens), or for cases where a person is suicidal and it's your God-given duty to tell them to get help even in cases where doing so means you are saying things that really aren't your place due to quick action being needed.

Going back to that personal story I told, the ironic thing was had I never told them I had Schizophrenia, I doubt I would have even been called out. People shouldn't be punished by responders for wearing their opinion on their sleeves.
I have a 46 year old son and a 21 year old granddaughter who suffer from bipolar disorder, so I hear ya. Both tried to commit suicide but survived, and they have received professional help and also a lot of support from the family. Both have stated that it's the latter that has helped to keep them alive and functioning.

My son owns his own cement company and my granddaughter is a senior in college with a 3.95 g.p.a. However, they both still struggle at times, but at least then know that the bad days will eventually be replaced by good days.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Popeadope ASKED to be diagnosed; "Am I creepy?"

This is a forum designed to elicit people's opinions. And that's what you're getting.
Yes, I'm creepy, but likely harmless.

The creepiness needs to be remedied somehow, but it might simply be my destiny. God creates creeps similar to Hollywood creating joker and darth vader. They are there for entertainment purposes. There needs to be creepy narcissists to entertain the heavenly beings who are watching and participating in this three ring circus side show. If Donald Trump were meek and humble, he would not stir up as much laughter and glee. God knows his errors are necessary! The Bible even says God creates evil and hardens hearts.

We nut cases may just be here for God's entertainment.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
100% love and affection.
In other words:
Only love and affection may be nurturing the symptoms.

Like I said in previous replies to this thread: it's tricky.

I agree with what you are saying. But it's a matter of degree. Too much love and support, can nurture the symptoms. I stand by what I said.

You've never seen this before? That is surprising to me. Parents do this all the time with their kids. I think when you use the word "support" you mean it in a healthy way. When I say "support" it includes unhealthy support that nurtures unhealthy behavior.

I'm not supporting harsh tough love; I think honesty and being firm is good, tho.

At the most practical level, this is what I'm saying: it's generally best to have a blend of love, support, and honest correction ( when warranted ).

if the goal is to have some measure of balance between support and correction. ( Not perfect balance, but a blend of love, support, and honest correction ) then, if some members take up the role of honest correction, then there is no reason that you and I and others cannot take up the role of love and support.

However if no one else is replying, or if everyone who does reply is offering 100% love and support / 0% honest correction, then that isn't good either. I'm more in my element offering love and support. @The Reverend Bob is more in his element offering correction. If, The Reverend is doing his thing, then I can do mine. If both he and I are operating naturally, there is a blend of honest correction, love, and support.

If I'm on my own or no correction is offered when warranted; then ( if I think a blend is needed ), I would need to operate out of my element and provide honest correction, and I'm not good at that. I think it's best for people to operate in a manner that is natural for them and from a position of strength.

On this forum, in my opinion, there is usually a natural blend of honest correction, love, and support that happens organically. At least that was my impression of the situation with Eddi.

However, I have no idea what's going on in PopeADope's recent threads.

@PopeADope: Hey Man.

Hopefully you remember me, I was a fan of yours, but honestly, I thought your treatment of the Black Dude who liked Trump was unfair. I thought that guy tolerated you, answered your questions, and even if his answers were a little silly, they didn't merit your ridicule. Since then I haven't been reading your threads. It hasn't been that long ago, I was going to give your future threads a chance. But that stunt, making fun of the Black Guy, was not for me. It could have been a White Guy, and it still would have been a buzz-kill for me.

That's why I have, literally, no idea what's going on in your other threads. I was answering this thread strictly based on previous threads of other RF'ers.

Us Schizophrenics occasionally produce threads from our fingertips that are insensitive or the world isn't quite ready for. That particular thread probably hurt PopeADope, it hurt me, it most of all hurt an African American poster I think, so bad that a simple "I'm sorry" for what some of us have done won't cut it. I still think staff did the right thing though not deleting/censoring the thread and just stepping in to make sure us members didn't put on boxing gloves and box each other into a fine mess.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It could be the shear volume of individuals here on RF and the vast diversity of beliefs and non-beliefs result in diminished sensitivity towards mental illness.
I think we’re too permissive of personal abuse on RF.
Alas, this cannot be discussed (rules), so I’ll suggest that we each work on being more civil, charitable, and tolerant.

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
An FYI, @AT-AT - keep in mind that we have a set of rules aimed at maintaining RF as a welcoming environment. The patterns you list in the OP could potentially be in violation of the rules depending on context, especially the second and fourth one you list. We have a great staff team right now, but we don't have eyeballs everywhere. Please do report things you find questionable and we can take a look at it.

With that said, there are many factors in play here when it comes to discussing health issues. As a culture, folks are still just not very good at it. The more experience a person has working with folks who have health issues - whether mental or physical - the better they are at it. A lot of us simply don't have much experience with it. A few of us have undertaken "first aid" courses for various health issues, but I suspect most of us haven't. When you do take those courses, referrals and getting the person to the appropriate resources are emphasized because we are not the professionals. It's not because we don't care or don't want to help, but rather we know our limits and want the person to get the best help they can get. That's how I see it, at any rate, as someone who has done multiple mental health first aid trainings.

For those with less experience discussing these things and working through them, the best piece of advice I have is to simply listen. Listening is a powerful tool. Let the person tell their story. Don't judge it, don't assess it, just practice active listening. Just being heard by another human can be compelling. If they ask for your thoughts you can offer them, but many times it is enough to know someone actually cared enough about you to really listen to your story and empathize with you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Us Schizophrenics occasionally produce threads from our fingertips that are insensitive or the world isn't quite ready for. That particular thread probably hurt PopeADope, it hurt me, it most of all hurt an African American poster I think, so bad that a simple "I'm sorry" for what some of us have done won't cut it. I still think staff did the right thing though not deleting/censoring the thread and just stepping in to make sure us members didn't put on boxing gloves and box each other into a fine mess.
@Shadow Wolf , in the situation that AT-AT describes above, a situation where someone with a mental illness is insensitive and hurts people, it's not good to support or nurture the behavior. Do we agree?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
@Shadow Wolf , in the situation that AT-AT describes above, a situation where someone with a mental illness is insensitive and hurts people, it's not good to support or nurture the behavior. Do we agree?
Sometimes you have to tell a person that their zipper is down and everyone can see their bits. You are not diagnosing that person ( hey dude, your fly is down therefore you must be a pervert) and you are not being mean to them (hey dude, quit being a jerk, pull your damn fly up). You are simply pointing out to them that their fly is down and people can see their bits, whether they want to take the correct course of action and pull up their zipper is up to them. You did your duty and now the rest is up to them.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
An FYI, @AT-AT - keep in mind that we have a set of rules aimed at maintaining RF as a welcoming environment. The patterns you list in the OP could potentially be in violation of the rules depending on context, especially the second and fourth one you list. We have a great staff team right now, but we don't have eyeballs everywhere. Please do report things you find questionable and we can take a look at it.

Thanks for letting me know. I hadn't been told how often to report.

Milton Platt

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 21. At age 25, in the midst of it, I joined an internet forum and debated with people. I told people about my Schizophrenia and upon them seeing that I changed my opinions quite a bit at the time because I was often presented with better facts in debates, they urged me to talk to my Psychiatrist about it. So I did. He said I am getting better. I went back and told the forum. They told me to get a second opinion. So I did and the second person was actually curious enough to look over some of the threads, both my posts and the comments. He told me to stop going to the forum because such negativity may hold back my progress. So I did. Anyways:

I think this forum is harsh to people with mental illness, especially those with stronger forms of it. It's not funny at all. All I'm seeing in the threads of those with mental illness are narrow-minded responders who don't know the first thing about the specific condition, doing one of the following:

1. Telling them to see a Psychiatrist instead of posting on the forum

2. Attacking their posting habits

3. Asserting that they can't help them with personal advice because the person with mental illness has mental illness

4. Telling them they're insane because their posting habits don't fit the responder's narrow-minded views

Really not funny. At all.

Also seems like stealth breakage of rule 3, sections 1-3.

I'm not a big fan of complaining without offering proper solutions, so here is what I think the solution is:

Don't treat them like a special (guinea pig) case. You might have to be a little more sympathetic at times, yes, for sure, but they don't want their threads derailed just because they suffer from some condition. Save the personal diagnoses for when people are asking for them very specifically and won't take no for an answer (which never happens), or for cases where a person is suicidal and it's your God-given duty to tell them to get help even in cases where doing so means you are saying things that really aren't your place due to quick action being needed.

Going back to that personal story I told, the ironic thing was had I never told them I had Schizophrenia, I doubt I would have even been called out. People shouldn't be punished by responders for wearing their opinion on their sleeves.

all good advice. If only there was a way to distinguish someone who is mentally ill (in a clinical sense) from someone who was merely eccentric in their views.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
all good advice. If only there was a way to distinguish someone who is mentally ill (in a clinical sense) from someone who was merely eccentric in their views.

Agree. I think most people here see me as bizarre rather than having terrible residues from mental illness because when push comes to shove, they can question me on my dumbest ideas, and yet I can often still give them a run for their money on them. Though I am willing to admit that my strong political views sometimes get in the way of my ability to freethink.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Agree. I think most people here see me as bizarre rather than having terrible residues from mental illness because when push comes to shove, they can question me on my dumbest ideas, and yet I can often still give them a run for their money on them. Though I am willing to admit that my strong political views sometimes get in the way of my ability to freethink.
I don't think you are bizarre, you never come off that way to me. I view you as a rather stable and kind hearted person

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I don't think you are bizarre, you never come off that way to me. I view you as a rather stable and kind hearted person

Thank you. Deep deep down, I do have some narcissistic Philosophical beliefs though, where I believe in the darkness of my soul that the only thing I can prove to exist is myself.