• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental Illness

PureX

Veteran Member
Its the fact its very easy to give bad advice.
It's also easy to ignore, as Popeadope almost surely will.
If someone asks to be diagnosed, the only proper and ethical response is you can't. In this case a member is potentially being diagnosed with something that isnt a fiagnosis, and its being done by those who are not qualified to do so. That is not excusable behavior.
You are not qualified to decide if I am qualified or not. So lets just drop it, OK?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do have to admit that @Shadow Wolf not only hit the nail on the head, she drove it in without splitting the wood.
Its something I can't let it go. It's my degree and professional experience. And even in the field, it is very much "you must be this degreed, trained, and certified to even address this issue." And that's because people living and well being are on the line.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
They're both your threads, my friend. I think you get to make the final call. I will bow out, and concede to @Shadow Wolf.

You don't have to bow out. But sometimes I have to demonstrate tough love, and agree with a side based on personal experience given that I have been a Schizophrenic, and not based on favoritism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You are not qualified to decide if I am qualified or not. So lets just drop it, OK?
I know I'm not, and I know you not. It's not if I'm deciding if you're not, someone else already did. And in health care, if there is a law, policy, or guideline that regulates and prohibits certain behaviors, you can rest assured knowing someone did something they really shouldn't have.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You don't have to bow out. But sometimes I have to demonstrate tough love, and agree with a side based on personal experience given that I have been a Schizophrenic, and not based on favoritism.

I should probably also soften the blow that when I said that, I was mainly talking about other points.

I also found that Wikipedia you posted interesting, dybmh.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's fine. I don't have anything to add. You think Shadow Wolf is spot on, I trust your judgement.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I have no problem with people who do struggle with mental health issues giving advice and their opinion but I am very, very wary of people who do not look at them as equals doing so. My brothers and sisters who do struggle with these issue have life experiences and insight into these issues and can give very good advice. Those who do not see them as equal, who disregard their opinions because they think "heck, these people care crazy" or look down upon them or try to coddle them or disparage them should not give them advice. They do not need those people telling them who they are and what they should do. They don't need people like that. They are human beings and you treat them thusly.
Like the Latin proverb goes: I am a human being and nothing human is alien or inhuman to me. If you can't see those who struggle with these issues as nothing but another human then step out of the way, if you see them as insane or crazy and therefore as less than human then you have a problem not them

PureX

Veteran Member
I have no problem with people who do struggle with mental health issues giving advice and their opinion but I am very, very wary of people who do not look at them as equals doing so. My brothers and sisters who do struggle with these issue have life experiences and insight into these issues and can give very good advice. Those who do not see them as equal, who disregard their opinions because they think "heck, these people care crazy" or look down upon them or try to coddle them or disparage them should not give them advice. They do not need those people telling them who they are and what they should do. They don't need people like that. They are human beings and you treat them thusly.
Like the Latin proverb goes: I am a human being and nothing human is alien or inhuman to me. If you can't see those who struggle with these issues as nothing but another human then step out of the way, if you see them as insane or crazy and therefore as less than human then you have a problem not them
I responded to Popeadope as one addict to another. And as one recovered addict to one not recovered. He knows this, and I know it. And I'm hoping my response might have been of some help to others in a similar situation. Beyond that, I'm really not at all concerned that people who have not experienced the same difficulties are 'offended' by my post.