• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental Illness

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It is not necessarily narcissistic, lots of people believe that. It is called solipsism.

Solipsism - Wikipedia

I understand. Thanks for the link as I'm pretty sure I had forgotten the term.

I have to kick my own behind sometimes and be hard on myself. Without doing so, I run the dangers of getting into bad trends like eating whole pies for comfort food, taking the easy way out and being agreeable with my family rather than holding to my views, etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
@Shadow Wolf , in the situation that AT-AT describes above, a situation where someone with a mental illness is insensitive and hurts people, it's not good to support or nurture the behavior. Do we agree?
How in the **** am I supporting and nurturing the behavior? As Ive said, support is helping them up, not holding them down. You find a single place I would have ever suggested being an enabler. You wont find it.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I have mental issues as well as a physical handicap. I think it's a trap to define oneself merely over the handicap, be it physical or mental. I also know what it is difficult because many persons with mental illnesses lose social connections and so just have nothing else to define themselves over.

The second thing I'd like to mention is the ultimate subjectivity of a psychotic experience. I can't fully sort out my own mind, so how can I expect that others are able to do it?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have mental issues as well as a physical handicap. I think it's a trap to define oneself merely over the handicap, be it physical or mental. I also know what it is difficult because many persons with mental illnesses lose social connections and so just have nothing else to define themselves over.

The second thing I'd like to mention is the ultimate subjectivity of a psychotic experience. I can't fully sort out my own mind, so how can I expect that others are able to do it?

That's a good question. Awhile back there was an article suggesting that the mentally ill understand each other better, to the extent that they can communicate in the same fashion as two normal people. Yet when you put a normal person with a mentally ill person, there were more communicational barriers.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
That's a good question. Awhile back there was an article suggesting that the mentally ill understand each other better, to the extent that they can communicate in the same fashion as two normal people. Yet when you put a normal person with a mentally ill person, there were more communicational barriers.
I wouldn't call anyone in RF or in the world "normal", but that said people who not struggle with mental health issues have to stop making presumptions about people who do struggle with these issues and see them and treat them as equals. Many who do not struggle with mental health often presume that people who struggle with these issues are unreasonable and can't be reasoned with and they will treat them thusly whether it is in a negative manner, such as being mean to them and alienating them or what they think is a positive manner by coddling them and thus enabling them. Both approaches are not necessarily beneficial. We must first see and acknowledge people with mental health issues as human being and therefore our equals.

We Never Know

No Slack

What is a normal person?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How in the **** am I saying that you are?
Its this non-sense idea that love and support can be enabling symptoms, and bringing it up in a general way of speaking. Support and love is not doing things to make them worse.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Its this non-sense idea that love and support can be enabling symptoms, and bringing it up in a general way of speaking. Support and love is not doing things to make them worse.
Love and support can definitely nurture unhealthy behavior. But, whatever, you, say...

And you still didn't show how I said anything about you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

PureX

Veteran Member
That isn't a diagnosis, and its unethical and even illegal to diagnose people if they aren't your patient. As I've pointed out a few times now, people love, LOVE, to pretend and insist they are experts and they refuse to acknowledge and accept their irresponsible behaviors can have serious consequences for other people. Simply put, quit trying to diagnose people if you arent their doctor.
The person asking for our opinion was not the person objecting to the opinion I gave. So I think this is really all just a bunch of irrelevant nonsense.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The person asking for our opinion was not the person objecting to the opinion I gave. So I think this all really all just a bunch of irrelevant nonsense.
Its the fact its very easy to give bad advice. If someone asks to be diagnosed, the only proper and ethical response is you can't. In this case a member is potentially being diagnosed with something that isnt a fiagnosis, and its being done by those who are not qualified to do so. That is not excusable behavior.