• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lower Back Tatoos on Females

Circle_One

Pardus said:
I've been waiting intently for pictures, but oh well no luck! :D

Here. Here's my best friend's back tattoo. It's not finished yet though. It still needs more color put in it.

940158939_l.jpg

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I have 4 tats. One being on my lower back. It is my favorite tat, and I don't think that any man who sees it will view me as being easy. The way I 'carry' myself would put that notion to rest before it even occured.
My tattoos are an expresion of my self. One is a USMC tat and it has a character under it that means "courage". Another is two characters that, together, mean "seek truth". I have a heart on my stomach (lower right), and the one on my lower back is a blood red tribal-art-looking rose.

I also hope to get a butterfly with my daughter's name near it on my upper back between my shoulder blades.

Circle_One

Pardus said:
Not bad, tho i'm really over webs.

It was done by my artist who's really into the oldschool style of tattooing and old school artists throw red spider webs onto EVERYTHING, haha.

Ðanisty

Circle_One said:
It was done by my artist who's really into the oldschool style of tattooing and old school artists throw red spider webs onto EVERYTHING, haha.
Lol...I was about to explain that it was old-school.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
CDRaider said:
I am a female and I want a tatoo but I want one that is somewhere that I can see it and I don't care if anyone else sees it because it is just as much of an expression of myself as peircing my ears is or as dieting to be a certian body type or wearing heels to be taller. I am enchancing something about myself (in the case of the tattoo, my skin in that area) for the pleasure of myself and my self expression.

I think there are too many reasons that people get tattoos to be able to say it is either trashy/beautiful.

Just curious...what does having pierced ears express about a person?

Certainly having pierced ears is hardly unique, or even rare (in either men or women). Pierced tongues still seem all the rage amongst the younger lot. Does a pierced tongue really "say" something about the bearer of such an artifice? If so, what? Personal courage? Inanity? Sexual prowess or proclivities?
[Note: Some suggest that a pierced tongue laden with some sort of jewelry enhanaces a fellating or clitorally-stimulating enhancement. I'll favor and wager that experience and sexual know-how will eclipse any minor bits of protruding silver or plastic centrally situated within an inexperienced tongue engaged in similar exercises.]

Sure, I know that in my days of youth...having long hair, facial hair, or certain clothing was intended to make a "statement" about oneself (beyond peer pressure conformity tho', I'm not clear to this day as to whether any of these "statements" possessed any power or lasting value of any kind).

Tattoos today strike me as akin to the bell-bottom pants and polyester leisure suits of inexplicable conformity to bad fashion and trendy expressions of vapid rebellion against an empty and invisble foe of invention itself. The good news is that the bad taste of the 70's can be hung upon the hangars of intemperate youth in the dark middle-aged recesses of a large walk-in closet (or re-sold to "vintage" clothing stores for an absurd windfall profit for recycled trash). Try doing that with a Celtic rune (or some Chinese character) indelibly imprinted above your asscrack (or face) when you're 40.

Pierced noses, lips (facial or otherwise), ears, eyebrows, or other sundry extremities are areas that will self-heal, given time and better discretion. When "being different" places you amongst the ranks of millions of other similarly "different" people, you realise that rote conformity doesn't really make you "different" at all. You're just another slave to fashion and ever-so-slight non-conformity: both of which fade to meaninglessness when realistic priorities of self-expression and true accountability take their inexorable hold upon your sensibilities.

Go ahead. Get a tat of dolphins jumpin' over your asscrack or cleavage while you can. Those inked pictures will never fail to remind you of your iconoclastic rebellion agaist, um...something...when you're a 58 year old grandmother of three.

$300 tattoo of Celtic icon above your asscrack.
$1500 (painfull) lasering to remove that tattoo from your asscrack.
Faint but everpresent shadow of that tattoo that won't ever completely fade...priceless.

"Rebel Rebel, you've torn your dress

Rebel Rebel, your face is a mess

Rebel Rebel, how could they know?

Hot tramp, I love you so!"

--Rebel Rebel, David Bowie

PureX

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the term "Tramp Stamps" before. What, in your experience, has led to you believing men apparently take them to mean you're easy? (or, if not you, ladies who have them?)
Cause they look like handle bars for the bikers? *smile*

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
While I try really hard not to be judgmental of those who sport tattoos, I tend to find them trashy on both men and women, and an especial turn-off on women -- with the exception of tribal tattoos.

I guess it's because the tribal custom is a cultural thing, and the "modern" (for lack of a better term) custom has historically been a rebellion thing.

Mavrikmind

I think Danisty is correct, the lower back tattoo's are popular because one friend wants one because her friend allready has one. Personally I love tattoo's if they are done by a trained artist. Alot I've seen are truly works of art and truly convey, in ink, a story about that person.
I don't have a tatto yet but I've been waiting a long time to find the right artist and to let myself mature so that when I do get a tat it will convey a story about my life.
I have piercings as well, two 14 gauge and two ten gauge in my ears. I couldn't care less if anyone doesn't like them, I do. I also couldn't care less if people tag me as a "rebel". So what, I am a rebel :p Anyway my son thinks there cool and thats all that counts :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am wondering why people see tatoos as being a form of rebellion?
How would I be rebeling against anyone by getting a tatoo of a pentagram on my arm?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Luke Wolf said:
I am wondering why people see tatoos as being a form of rebellion?
How would I be rebeling against anyone by getting a tatoo of a pentagram on my arm?

In answer to your first inquiry, I would offer that "it depends" upon the culture in which you reside. I some cultures, facial tattoos are a rite of male passage into adulthood. It's a "sign", or recognition of maturation and ritual acheivement. In other cultures, you might be observed as an iconoclast, or just plain weird (Seen many folks at your local Wal-Mart with full facial tats lately? Got any guesses as to why not?).

Physical expressions of "rebellion" against either: "The Man"; "The Establishment"; "The government"; or any other imposing aspect of influence upon the prevailing norms of contemporary culture are often regarded as "rebellious", or expressions of purposed distance and separation from those "norms". If short hair is "in" amongst the status quo, then long hair places you "outside" of the staus quo.

If the status quo eschews overtly visible piercings of the nose, lips, eyebrow, tongue, or other typically exposed area of the human form, it is not unusual or especially surprising that purposed deviations from that norm be considered some sort of rebellion against the status quo.

"Most people" (ya know...the status quo) wear their undergarments (ie, bras or briefs) under their pants and shirts. If you purposefully choose to wear your biefs on your head, or put your bra on over your shirt...it is assumed that you are purposefully drawing attention to yourself by defying conventional norms of dress...or otherwise trying to present yourself as being different or beyond such conventional norms. I could wear pink women's panties on my head, just to be "different"--but to what end, or what purposed expression of individuality (besides being "different")?

As to your second inquiry, I would suggest wearing a pentagram medallion around your neck first to guage the status quo reaction accordingly.

Do people wear crucifixes, or celtic runes, as jewelry alone...or as some expression of personalized expression of self? Are they meaningless, or do such purposed adornments seek to convey a particular "message" or pov for others to absorb and ponder?

Is a tattoo a greater expression of sincerity or earnest feeling because it is not easily removed, or perhaps because it is somewhat painful in intial application? Is pain and (relative) permanence a more pious or sincere representation of personal identity, or commitment to (a) cause than say, a t-shirt with a logo or a phrase?

Does a butterfly, a celtic rune, a pentagram, or a chinese character above your asscrack really say something special, or identify you as an exceptional and unique individual above and beyond anyone that chooses not to be permanently marked in such a way?

If not, then why bother with getting a tattoo, vs. wearing a pentagram adorned t-shirt or a hat?

If so, how so...and in what specific way?

If you're willing and ready to get a pentagram on your arm, then why not on your forehead instead? Does the relative bodily placement of the tatoo make a difference in what it "says", or you wish others to perceive about yourself? How does that differ in wearing momen's underwear (as a mtter of self-expression) on your head at you place of employment?

Would you deem a tattoo of a pentagram on your forehead as being an expression of rebellion or self-estimation? Would the same tat be regarded as a lesser or more tepidly expressive bodily adornment when inked upon your arm instead? Why not a pierced series of metallic studs outlining a pentagram in your cheek instead? Does that adornment "say" something more than a worn medallion about the neck?

You tell us...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Would you deem a tattoo of a pentagram on your forehead as being an expression of rebellion or self-estimation? Would the same tat be regarded as a lesser or more tepidly expressive bodily adornment when inked upon your arm instead? Why not a pierced series of metallic studs outlining a pentagram in your cheek instead? Does that adornment "say" something more than a worn medallion about the neck?
I'll start a new thread as too not go more off topic with this one.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
nutshell said:
I often wonder about girls/women who get tatoos on their lower backs. From an evolutionary standpoint where nature wants the species to continue, do these tatoos perhaps represent fertility and call a male's attention to the hips and a$$ of the woman, luring him to mate with her?

What do you think?

I have a tribal heart and cross there, my husband loves it. It was my 48th b/d present from him, it was lots of fun. Why the lower back? It's pretty, it's curvy, it's easy to cover a 'too there if you don't want it seen.

And no i'm not 'easy', lol.

nutshell

Moon Woman said:
I have a tribal heart and cross there, my husband loves it. It was my 48th b/d present from him, it was lots of fun. Why the lower back? It's pretty, it's curvy, it's easy to cover a 'too there if you don't want it seen.

And no i'm not 'easy', lol.

It's interesting that the first thing you said is "my husband loves it." May I ask why he loves it?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
sojourner said:
"modern" (for lack of a better term) custom has historically been a rebellion thing.
I think that's changed. Maybe 20 years ago I'd agree with that, and in the case of a 16 year old, yeah I'd agree with that. For grown men and women it can be many things ranging from expression of ideas to simply artistic appreciation.

BFD_Zayl said:
.........kinky....especially the tribal designs....then again im a tattoo freak (once im 18, im getting quite a few) but yes they do draw attention to the hips which is my second favorite part of the female body....the first favorite is...

>

>>

>>>

>>>>>

the eyes!

Ahhh....we have that in common. The first things I notice in a man (aside from body language and the fact that he's male) are 1. Eyes
2. Build/height
3. Smile
4. Hair

As for the lower back tattoos...I find them extremely sexy. But then...I find tattoos on men to be extremely sexy. Especially black tribal designs. Rawr. :eek:
I suppose they do draw attention to the hips, yes. I think that it also stems from female fantasy--having a man run his fingers down your back to that point and then pulling you in with his hand on you there.
Tattoos are expressions (unless you get them for the wrong reasons, like just to be "cool"), and should be treated as such. So yeah, lower back tattoos can be religious, sexual, or for ornament and personal self-esteem.

Dolphin

Mostly back tatoos on a female is body jewlary, a means of self expression, however, as in any interst, some overinduldge.