• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lower Back Tatoos on Females

nutshell

I often wonder about girls/women who get tatoos on their lower backs. From an evolutionary standpoint where nature wants the species to continue, do these tatoos perhaps represent fertility and call a male's attention to the hips and a$$ of the woman, luring him to mate with her?

What do you think?

evearael

I think the idea is to draw the attention to the hips... and be easy enough to conceal at the office.

(I bit off-topic: I find it interesting that you mention fertility because of the cultural shift towards tiny, anorexic-looking women. This plays into fertility, because a woman needs a certain percentage of fat to even be able to have a period. This is why a lot of women athletes (like gymnasts) stop having their period altogether. If anything our culture has moved away from fertility for quite some time... though it may shift back soon if rear-end implants are any indication.)

nutshell

mrs stemann said:
Aren't they usually called "Tramp Stamps"?

I used to think they were quite pretty but men apparently take them to mean "I'm easy".

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the term "Tramp Stamps" before. What, in your experience, has led to you believing men apparently take them to mean you're easy? (or, if not you, ladies who have them?)

nutshell

evearael said:
I think the idea is to draw the attention to the hips... and be easy enough to conceal at the office.

(I bit off-topic: I find it interesting that you mention fertility because of the cultural shift towards tiny, anorexic-looking women. This plays into fertility, because a woman needs a certain percentage of fat to even be able to have a period. This is why a lot of women athletes (like gymnasts) stop having their period altogether. If anything our culture has moved away from fertility for quite some time... though it may shift back soon if rear-end implants are any indication.)

What is the purpose of drawing the attention to the hips and whose attention is supposed to be drawn there?

You make a good point about fertility and anorexic-looking women. Many women our culture currently considers "beautiful" do not mensturate because of their physical condition.

sahra-t

/me loves frubals
nutshell said:
I'm sorry, but I haven't heard the term "Tramp Stamps" before. What, in your experience, has led to you believing men apparently take them to mean you're easy? (or, if not you, ladies who have them?)

From urban dictionary:

“Tramp Stamp” is a derogatory term referring to a tattoo which a women places on her lower back. It is especially popular among women born in the late 70’s, 80‘s, and even early 90’s. Fair or unfair, these tattoos have a socially constructed connotation associated with them. These women are labeled as tramps, whores, or other derogatory sexually promiscuous terms. Although these are often bias generalized claims, there have been sociological studies done by the American Psychological Association, Federal Bureau of Prisons, and other demographic researchers showing strong correlative evidence associating tattoos with high risk behavior, illegal substance abuse and sexual promiscuity. These risk factors are greatest in the age range which these types of tattoos are gaining main stream popularity. Some have also jokingly stated that by 2050, the “tramp stamp” will be renamed the “gramp stamp”.

evearael

Well, in the absence of fertility, the first thing I think of is sex, which is self-explanatory. The second thing I think of is currency. Women in our society are encouraged to utilize all of their assets for everything from landing a rich husband to getting free drinks to getting out of a speeding ticket.

Ðanisty

I think they're all doing it because they're friends are all doing it. That's my professional tattoo-artist opinion.

BFD_Zayl

.........kinky....especially the tribal designs....then again im a tattoo freak (once im 18, im getting quite a few) but yes they do draw attention to the hips which is my second favorite part of the female body....the first favorite is...

>

>>

>>>

>>>>>

the eyes!

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
Well, in the absence of fertility, the first thing I think of is sex, which is self-explanatory. The second thing I think of is currency. Women in our society are encouraged to utilize all of their assets for everything from landing a rich husband to getting free drinks to getting out of a speeding ticket.

Hey, that's a typo! That should read "assettes" not "assets"! :run:

I don't know if I'm so much *encouraged* to use all my assets, but let's put it this way: it works much better for me many times than the "direct" approach.

When the power women have is through feminine charms, and that's the only real power they wield, they can hardly be criticized for using it to get what the need. (And no, I didn't think you were criticizing anyone. ;))

Seriously, if sticking my enormous tatas out there will get my car repaired properly and on time where just demanding decent customer service a man would get anyway will not...guess what? If some men are that stupid -- they get what they get.

Faint

nutshell said:
I often wonder about girls/women who get tatoos on their lower backs. From an evolutionary standpoint where nature wants the species to continue, do these tatoos perhaps represent fertility and call a male's attention to the hips and a$$ of the woman, luring him to mate with her?

What do you think?
If you want to get into evolution, I'd theorize that the tattoos are just another form of decoration--like make-up or body piercing. Some girls think the ink makes them more appealing, so technically yes...the tattoos are probably often an attempt to attract a mate. The location of the tattoo has little to do with this since girls get tattoos on many different body parts...but some locations are far more attractive than others. I personally like the well-drawn lower back tattoos since they tend to be symetrical, and they are easily hidden for formal events. And yes, they draw attention to the girls' backsides.

I used to think they were quite pretty but men apparently take them to mean "I'm easy".
In my experience, girls with tattoos anywhere on their body have had lots of sex...though they are not necessarily promiscuous. I don't think I've met any vestal young women with tattoos. That being said, I've heard the term "tramp stamp" used quite often, but I think it is an undeseved and unfair term.

Danisty said:
I think they're all doing it because they're friends are all doing it. That's my professional tattoo-artist opinion.
This is likely true, and would support the evolution/decoration assertion. Women are naturally competitive with each other. They follow the new vogues so easily because they don't want to be left on the shelf by potential mates who might prefer to hook up with their tattooed friend instead. Whether or not their assumption is true doesn't matter...only that the girls think tattoos will get them noticed more.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Personally, I love lower back tattoos, and have a design for mine in the works. I never gave much thought to them other than I think they look really cool, but then, I'm also a woman. I'm getting mine because I like them, not for competition or to get a man, I've already got one without the tattoo, and I'm the first of my circle of friends to get one priced.

So, I'm not sure where I fit in all that... but I sincerely hope that I'm not just a "tramp" getting a "stamp".

nutshell

Gentoo said:
Personally, I love lower back tattoos, and have a design for mine in the works. I never gave much thought to them other than I think they look really cool, but then, I'm also a woman. I'm getting mine because I like them, not for competition or to get a man, I've already got one without the tattoo, and I'm the first of my circle of friends to get one priced.

So, I'm not sure where I fit in all that... but I sincerely hope that I'm not just a "tramp" getting a "stamp".

Responding to the par in bold: If this is a result of evolution/nature then you may not even be aware of the reasons behind getting it. I know you say you "like them" and "they look really cool," but that doesn't seem dispositive.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Perhaps, but even if there are reasons that I'm not aware of for liking them and wanting my own, in my case I don't think that it would matter if it's out of competition. I'm not going to go around with jeans cut too low and shirts cut too high to constantly show it off, I'm not like that. I'll be getting it for myself and my SO will have the benefit of looking at it more often than I do, let's face it, I can't twist that much ;)

Ðanisty

Gentoo said:

No, it just makes you the exception to the rule. Lower back tattoos do look really nice. In my experience though, that's not why women choose them.

nutshell

Ðanisty said:
No, it just makes you the exception to the rule. Lower back tattoos do look really nice. In my experience though, that's not why women choose them.

In your experience, why do women choose them?

nutshell

Maize said:
Nutshell, I think I need to see some examples before I can form an opinion.

Kidding!

Well, here, Maize. This is something we might BOTH enjoy. :D

Last edited by a moderator: