• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lower Back Tatoos on Females

BFD_Zayl

nutshell said:
Can't disagree with that one.
gods i hate IE....anyways i agree with you, but its a very hot fad (for now) ive also noticed another fad, colored contact lenses, this one girl had ones that made her eyes yellow and have vertical pupils (like a cats)....i hope this posts without screwing up again

CDRaider

My aunt got one when she was young and then because of the type of ink or something, she couldn't get an epideral because the ink would get into her spinal cord.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mrs stemann said:
Aren't they usually called "Tramp Stamps"?

I used to think they were quite pretty but men apparently take them to mean "I'm easy".

I've never heard that expression! To tell the truth, they don't mean or say anything to me. As far as I am concerned, they are a 'turn-off' if anything

A

angellous_evangellous

nutshell said:
I often wonder about girls/women who get tatoos on their lower backs. From an evolutionary standpoint where nature wants the species to continue, do these tatoos perhaps represent fertility and call a male's attention to the hips and a$$ of the woman, luring him to mate with her?

What do you think?

It works for me...: hamster :

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
They're like any other tattoo as far as I'm concerned - if they're nicely done and suit the person they're on, then it's all good. I find a woman's back to be incredibly sexy, tattooed or not. :shrug:

nutshell

Bastet said:
They're like any other tattoo as far as I'm concerned - if they're nicely done and suit the person they're on, then it's all good. I find a woman's back to be incredibly sexy, tattooed or not. :shrug:

Then it's all good for what?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
nutshell said:
I often wonder about girls/women who get tatoos on their lower backs. From an evolutionary standpoint where nature wants the species to continue, do these tatoos perhaps represent fertility and call a male's attention to the hips and a$$ of the woman, luring him to mate with her?
You mean the way that a female baboon's a$$ turns bright red when she's in estrus? :p

nutshell said:
What do you think?
I think that tattoos are just a more radical form of body decoration in general, from makeup and jewelry to high-heels and push-up bras to colored contact lenses and hair coloring to piercings and ink to cosmetic surgery. And I think that while body decoration may have originally started as an attempt to attract a mate it moved beyond that long ago.

I am often struck by the sense that women dress more to impress other women within their peer group than to impress men. (And I'm talking about straight girls here.) Honestly, does your average straight male care whether a woman is wearing Prada or Versace? The guys I know notice how short a skirt is (assuming that the legs are nice to look at), not what label is on the skirt. When women plunk down the big bucks for those labels, are they hoping to impress a man or their friends and co-workers?

Similarly I think that with lower back tattoos, while it may have started a something to increase sex-appeal to men, what it is now is a status symbol (depending on the crowd you aim to impress).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lilithu said:
You mean the way that a female baboon's a$$ turns bright red when she's in estrus? :p

No wonder red's my favorite color. Must have inherited a preference for it from my distant ancestors.

Callous

Interesting topic.
I myself sport three tattoos. There have recently seen several articles and televised shows covering the history of tattoos and the art of tattooing. As you are probably already aware tattoos dated back to the ice age and probably much further.
Pagan tattoos were both symbols of status, rank and deity preferences.
Except for tribal tattoos it was almost a lost form of expression in the civilized world until sailors reached the Pacific Islands.
I feel it is unfortunate that social morality has regarded it as a less than appropriate self expression

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Callous said:
I feel it is unfortunate that social morality has regarded it as a less than appropriate self expression
I think that's changing, don't you? It seems to me that for those under the age of 30 they more likely have a tattoo and/or piercing than not. Tho it could just be the people that I hang out with.

Callous

lilithu said:
I think that's changing, don't you? It seems to me that for those under the age of 30 they more likely have a tattoo and/or piercing than not. Tho it could just be the people that I hang out with.
I was listening to a radio talk show just a few days ago out of Anchorage Alaska. The host was on a rant about Tattoos especially on those who displayed them above the collar. His take was anyone or at least 100% of the people who had neck tattoos that could be seen above the collar was an outlaw. It’s too bad like I said people are quick to reach a judgment.
I’m not saying I’m without prejudices but I do try to find my path around it.
BTW, your friends are part of creation and balance and are no less than anyone else.

Ðanisty

CDRaider said:
My aunt got one when she was young and then because of the type of ink or something, she couldn't get an epideral because the ink would get into her spinal cord.
I'm not sure I buy this. I have no doubt that this is what your aunt was told, but to be honest, I think the doctors were just put off by the fact that she had a tattoo and therefore decided they'd give her their own little punishment for it.

Callous

I read this post and wondered that possibly the tattoo covered a large enough area combined with a doctor being cautious or afraid to do the epideral. Here is a site that talks about the subject.
soap.org/media/newsletter_summer2001.pdf

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ðanisty said:
I'm not sure I buy this. I have no doubt that this is what your aunt was told, but to be honest, I think the doctors were just put off by the fact that she had a tattoo and therefore decided they'd give her their own little punishment for it.

I think that the key statement in the link is " Although some anesthesiologists may be reluctant to perform an epidural directly through a tattoo, most of the time this can be done safely."

Many doctors in Canada will not give an epidural if there is a tattoo on the lower back . Not as a punishment , but because of safety . A few years from now , after more reseach has been done .... who knows ? :)

Side note : there are many medical standards that differ in Canada and the U.S. , for whatever reasons .

Ðanisty

I couldn't get the link to work. What I can tell you is that I can think of no reason whatsoever that it would be dangerous to give an epidural through a tattoo. I'll ask my artists this weekend when we go to their Halloween party, but I am almost certain they will come to the same conclusion.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Faint said:
I don't think I've met any vestal young women with tattoos.

Ah, but what if the tattoo read "No sex for me, please!"? (On an off-topic note, I thought for the longest time that the phrase was 'vestigial virgins'.)

I think that, for me, a large part of the appeal of getting a tattoo would be that I imagine it would be a very grounding experience. Esoterically, the lower back is close to the first and second chakra, respectively the ones relating to survival and sexuality. I would think that getting a tattoo there would remind you of the importance of these things in life.

BFD_Zayl

maybe...has anyone else seen colored contact lenses? those always draw my attention more that tattoos (not by much though)