• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Justice" System Incompetence

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ohio wants to execute a criminal.
But they fail at something which should be so simple.
Ref....
Ohio execution called off after prison officials can't find good vein

They can't find a vein?
That stops everything?
They can't hang or shoot him?
Oh, what a silly, intellectually paralyzed, bloated bureaucracy
we have when they can kill innocent citizens willy nilly, but they
cannot execute an aged convict in their custody.

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but if they're going to do it,
then dad gummit....man up, & accomplish this easy task.

Underhill

Well, I know when I give blood, by law they can't poke me more than three times. So that may have something to do with it.

After all, you wouldn't want the guy to have to suffer from multiple injection sites.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I know when I give blood, by law they can't poke me more than three times. So that may have something to do with it.
After all, you wouldn't want the guy to have to suffer from multiple injection sites.
Firing squads always find an "injection site".
Problem solved!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Ref....

They can't find a vein?
That stops everything?

I find this similar to the act of disinfecting the injection site before administering the lethal dose.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I had committed and was convicted of a capital punishment crime, then I would want to face my executioners in a firing squad...just sayin'.
Aye, it would be faster, less painful, cheaper, more reliable, more honest, & more splattery.
And the victimized family survivors could pull the triggers.
All good.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The perp's lawyer also worried about an allergic reaction to the drug.
Ya juss canna make this stuff up!
What is the desired outcome here? A few more weeks in a box until they give it another go?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Squirty tips? Same aisle as the blinker fluid and fireproof matches?
th

PureX

Veteran Member
I think the problem is that we have to be exceedingly careful about avoiding unnecessary suffering or states like Texas and Florida and Alabama will be routinely torturing people as part of the "execution process". As it is they can't stand to wait even a day to execute people, whether they're actually guilty or not, because their stupid-redneck-hang-em-high-and-fast mentality so permeates their collective political psyche.

You think the degree of 'safety procedure' they go through is absurd, but so is the degree of insanity people get up to when they're "dispensing justice". It wasn't that long ago that we were literally "drawing and quartering" people, for the delight of the crowds. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Ref....

They can't find a vein?
That stops everything?

My dad's the same way, his veins move as they insert the needle, they may have to stick him 10 times, but you would think that the main arteries in the Neck would work just fine.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The perp's lawyer also worried about an allergic reaction to the drug.
Ya juss canna make this stuff up!
When you are desperate you grasp at straw. What worries me is when the death penalty can be given unjustly. There have been very rare cases where people that were not guilty of the crime that they were accused of were executed. At that point it is pretty hard to undo what was done.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My dad's the same way, his veins move as they insert the needle, they may have to stick him 10 times, but you would think that the main arteries in the Neck would work just fine.
There's prolly some silly reason it's inhumane to kill him that way.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Good question, so I looked it up. The issues appear to be pressure, just getting the medication to go in is much more difficult. Pain, medications often react with arterial tissue, and losing an artery can be bad for ones health (the health aspect should not matter if execution is the goal). The one real answer is that arteries lead to capillary networks. The "medication" could be absorbed there and not where desired.

I do believe the main issues are pressure making it impractical and risky, pain, torture is not allowed even if someone has "earned it", and the fact that the poison may be absorbed where it will not do what it is supposed to do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When you are desperate you grasp at straw. What worries me is when the death penalty can be given unjustly. There have been very rare cases where people that were not guilty of the crime that they were accused of were executed. At that point it is pretty hard to undo what was done.
That's the reason I oppose the death penalty.
A sentence should be as reversible as possible.
Cant' do that once they're planted in the ground.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's the reason I oppose the death penalty.
A sentence should be as reversible as possible.
Cant' do that once they're planted in the ground.

Yep, now I have no doubts that those on death row are probably all guilty of some serious crime. But I have found that states too willing to do so will probably have put someone away unjustly. In my state there are those that I wish that they would put to death. The Green River Killer comes to mind. But he made a deal. He gave information as part of a plea bargain. Unfortunately that means that if anyone is killed in this state that they penalty will not be evenly administered. The worst of criminals get a life sentence where moderate murderers would face the ultimate penalty.

Keeping it on the books but almost never using it does seem to be the best solution, even though there are those that truly appear to deserve it.