• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Atheists?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jewish is a religion.

Jewish is a cultural identity.
The religion is "Judaism". There's some interplay between the two that includes concepts that are not always shared with other Jews.

For example, if a Jew who practices Judaism leaves the faith and converts to another religion still a "Jew"? We don't all agree on how to answer that question.

Rational Agnostic

Yes I know they exist in every religion. However my friend who goes to synagogue but also attends Christian service ;

She says a guy who responded to her romantic add insisted everyone in her synagogues is Atheist because most Jews are Atheist.

I've also heard this but she says people in her synagogue believe.Ive met 2 Jewish men who said they believe.Which statement is true?

Are all Jewish people atheist.

Of course not all Jews are atheists, and technically, Judaism and atheism are mutually exclusive. However many people who associate themselves with Judaism are secular, and so, could be considered "Jewish atheists" or people who are culturally Jewish but not religiously Jewish.

Rational Agnostic

I think we need to draw a distinction between "atheists" and "agnostics", and when we do that there are a great many more agnostic Jews than atheistic Jews. Here's how I differentiate and define these terms:

atheist: one who believes there are no deities.

agnostic: one who is unsure as to whether there are any deities.

Technically, an agnostic may be considered an atheist since the root words of atheist are a[no]-theist[god(s)].

Almost all self-proclaimed atheists are agnostic, but most theists are gnostic.

Ponder This

Yes I know they exist in every religion. However my friend who goes to synagogue but also attends Christian service ;

She says a guy who responded to her romantic add insisted everyone in her synagogues is Atheist because most Jews are Atheist.

I've also heard this but she says people in her synagogue believe.Ive met 2 Jewish men who said they believe.Which statement is true?

All you need to be Jewish is a Jewish mother. So if you have a Jewish mother and don't believe in in God, then you are a Jewish atheist.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Of course not all Jews are atheists, and technically, Judaism and atheism are mutually exclusive. However many people who associate themselves with Judaism are secular, and so, could be considered "Jewish atheists" or people who are culturally Jewish but not religiously Jewish.

I have met a number of Jews that consider themselves deeply culturally Jewish, but consider themselves atheists. I do not consider the statement whether or not some Jews are religiously Jewish is meaningful considering how 'religion' may be defined.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have met a number of Jews that consider themselves deeply culturally Jewish, but consider themselves atheists. I do not consider the statement whether or not some Jews are religiously Jewish is meaningful considering how 'religion' may be defined.

I met Jews in Israel who consider themsel
^ huh?

Milton Platt

I'm certain that there are Jews who are atheists, but not "most Jews", I would think.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm certain that there are Jews who are atheists, but not "most Jews", I would think.
I don't know about that.
In my circle, albeit a limited one, when I've discussed religous belief
with Jews, I can't recall a single one who wasn't an atheist.
But that could be a memory issue.
What were talking about?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't know about that.
What were talking about?

I agree that is a possibility if your friends in 'your circle' may be atheist if they are members of a reformed Jewish Congregation, which is a more liberal intellectual group. My experience is that in the Reformed congregation there is a tendency toward atheism to an indifference to the existence of God, but not all I met shared those views. In the Raleigh - Durham area I have attended both the Reformed and the Orthodox Congregation and the difference is significant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree that is a possibility if your friends in 'your circle' may be atheist if they are members of a reformed Jewish Congregation, which is a more liberal intellectual group. My experience is that in the Reformed congregation there is a tendency toward atheism to an indifference to the existence of God, but not all I met shared those views. In the Raleigh - Durham area I have attended both the Reformed and the Orthodox Congregation and the difference is significant.
Anyone who would associate with me would likely be reformed.....a lot.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Anyone who would associate with me would likely be reformed.....a lot.

My primary association was playing chess in chess clubs often held in Jewish Centers where I met both. I also visited Jewish congregations over the years, mostly reformed sometimes with Jewish friends.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My primary association was playing chess in chess clubs often held in Jewish Centers where I met both. I also visited Jewish congregations over the years, mostly reformed sometimes with Jewish friends.
Mine is with relatives, employees, friends & co-workers.

Milton Platt

I don't know about that.
What were talking about?

Well, I learn a new thing every day.....and forget two things.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Reformed?

You want to try again to get it right?