• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's offensive to NOT wear a Hijab? Shame on Miss Michigan?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The Confederate rag is not an American symbol. It's a flag of treason and sedition and any real patriotic American would spit on it. They lost and need to get over it.

To me it will always represent a lack of education/culture, superstition and scientific illiteracy, prideful ignorance, bigotry, and poor hygiene.

Considering that they lost the war, does that make confederate monuments essentially "participation trophies"? :D

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
To me it will always represent a lack of education/culture, superstition and scientific illiteracy, prideful ignorance, bigotry, and poor hygiene.

Considering that they lost the war, does that make confederate monuments essentially "participation trophies"? :D
My attitude towards the Confederacy is complicated, and I certainly see a lot to respect in certain aspects of the history, but anyone who thinks the Confederacy was not an intrinsically racist institution is willfully deluding themselves. After all, the whole point of the secession was to maintain slavery! Just shy of genocide, you can't get much more racist than race determined slavery, really, can you?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
She said that more black people are murdered by other blacks than by police officers. This is factually correct.
And most white people are killed by other white people. So what. That doesn't mean that cops aren't out of control in this country and don't need to be reined in. It doesn't invalidate concerns over police brutality and killings at all.

PureX

Veteran Member
I have a feeling this has a lot less to do with "angry PC police" and more to do with the pageant organizer overreacting simply to avoid attracting any potential negative media attention or controversy (which it got anyway).
And it's not because people actually care so much about what is or is not "PC". It's about the media using the "issue" to fill up it's content with controversy, to attract eyes and ears to their advertising. And it works, because these "hate the PC" threads just keep on popping up week after week. Some folks just can't seem to get enough of this media manufactured "issue".

PureX

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say leftists though I am pretty sure some want and need it to be to justify themselves since many on the left seem to like to play the victim and hero at the same time all the while being neither, I'd just say some of the more radical and ridiculous PC crowd. You do understand the undermining effect these wannabe thought police and mollycoddling types who pretend to care more about hurt feelings and a false social justice have had on free speech and expressions of free thought correct? From school, politics, workplace etc. this mental disease of PC social control that pretends it's making things better turns out to be just another leper messiah infecting and destroying the mind and body of it's host,they are nothing more than modern day pied pipers in fool's cloaks.
Yeah, because showing kindness and respect toward other people for their unique differences is really just a horrible thing to expect from us. How can we be better than everyone else if we can't belittle and humiliate them for not being as clever and righteous as we are?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
And most white people are killed by other white people. So what. That doesn't mean that cops aren't out of control in this country and don't need to be reined in. It doesn't invalidate concerns over police brutality and killings at all.

Black cops kill equal to or greater number of blacks than white cops, this is a fact. Why do you think news outlets typically report mostly only the "white cop shoots black suspect" stories?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Most media sources reference this.

Do White Police Officers Unfairly Target Black Suspects? by John R. Lott, Carlisle E. Moody :: SSRN

The source has links for some references which become a hunting exercise as some are media rather than a direct link to a study, report, etc.
And to quote said study:

We find that the probability of an unarmed black suspect being killed by a white police officer is significantly greater than the probability of a black suspect being killed by a black police officer.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Where is the data?

FBI crime statistics
There is a good reason for that fact as well and that is that many cities attempt to have black police patrol predominately black areas instead of white or hispanic police officers, the problem is there just isn't enough black police officers.
But it still begs the question:
Why do you think you mostly hear about white officers killing a suspect in the news when black police officers are involved in half or over, also take into account the numbers of black vs. white police officers.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
FBI crime statistics
There is a good reason for that fact as well and that is that many cities attempt to have black police patrol predominately black areas instead of white or hispanic police officers, the problem is there just isn't enough black police officers.
But it still begs the question:
Why do you think you mostly hear about white officers killing a suspect in the news when black police officers are involved in half or over, also take into account the numbers of black vs. white police officers.
Bring 'em. Let us look at those raw numbers.