• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trump more dishonest than the mainstream media?

Who is more dishonest, Trump or the Mainstream Media?

• Trump

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • Mainstream Media

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Also, @leibowde84

I'll present my argument for how fake the news is...

If the news isn't fake:

Why does it seem like they all get together and print the same stories? Independent news organizations have niches, and print stories reflective of the interests of their viewership. See Breitbart, or The Dally Caller for example... They are on the same "political side of the fence", but the stories will vary. Nearly all of the mainstream media will print exactly the same stories, as if they are a government run propaganda machine. :D The only difference between those news sources is minor editing....

Now, I am not SAYING the wouldn't all headline a major event like the Vegas Shooting. I find it weird though that they all start printing the exact same anti-gun messages at the same time - if they had their own opinions one may focus on the guns, one may blame the psychology of the shooter, one may feel that it's the political climate, etc... They would have their own opinions, but they do not not.. They all immediately lay into the 2nd Amendment.. Regardless, the absurdities that you guys must believe defies my imagination - fine, you're a bleeding heart liberal and you hate Trump. You done? You guys don't even have your own opinions you just parrot theirs...

I'm not even a conservative, but an Anarcho-Capitalist and the collusion is so evident there is simply no way I can trust them.
Maybe that's because the obvious elephant in the room is .... guns!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Why does it seem like they all get together and print the same stories? Independent news organizations have niches, and print stories reflective of the interests of their viewership. See Breitbart, or The Dally Caller for example... They are on the same "political side of the fence", but the stories will vary. Nearly all of the mainstream media will print exactly the same stories, as if they are a government run propaganda machine. :D The only difference between those news sources is minor editing....
They all present the same stories because they are covering the same people ... U.S. Politicians in the Federal Government. Not exclusively, but that is what is getting them ratings. If the stories are real it would be likely that every news organization would cover them. And, since Trump has started a "war with the mainstream media", it shouldn't surprise you that they don't kiss his behind ever (like Fox News, Breitbart sometimes, the Daily Caller, etc.). If the stories are true, we should assume taht they would be covered by all of the news agencies. They compete with each other for ratings. And, stories about Trump and his admin. get good ratings.

Now, we know that the Daily Caller and Breitbart (and Fox News to a smaller degree) consistently publish "fake news" (exaggerated stories, made up stories, rumor without evidence, etc.). The fact that they cover different stories seem to evidence this.
Now, I am not SAYING the wouldn't all headline a major event like the Vegas Shooting. I find it weird though that they all start printing the exact same anti-gun messages at the same time - if they had their own opinions one may focus on the guns, one may blame the psychology of the shooter, one may feel that it's the political climate, etc... They would have their own opinions, but they do not not.. They all immediately lay into the 2nd Amendment.. Regardless, the absurdity that you guys must believe defies my imagination.
Would you expect them to publish pro-gun stories after a horrific incident where guns were altered to become automatic with legally available parts? I sure wouldn't. I find it common sense that they would speak to gun control after something like this.
I'm not even a conservative, but an Anarcho-Capitalist and the collusion is so evident there is simply no way I can trust them.
You haven't presented any evidence of collusion. Can you provide any?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The big problem is Trump has no problem spouting these things off but he offers no credible evidence to the contrary. How could he in 140 characters of less? But that is the point. Trump does not appear to want to do this. This guides me to the conclusion that there isn't much substance behind it outside of blind swinging at anyone who speaks about his administration in a negative tone. For those of us who are data driven, the media gets a pass not because they are purely neutral or are free of biases, but because there is no alternative presented.

Instead of holding rallies and practicing his jump shot with paper towels, perhaps Trump and company could take some time to formulate a concise, articulate argument against the media they seem so motivated to discredit. My theory is that the media bias is the same as it always has been and the reason why the intel committee isn't looking into it is because there isn't anything to look in to. Trump is simply beating this drum to keep that political narrative alive with his base. Good news for him is that those who read his statements and agree with the sentiments are there for good. If they haven't jumped ship by now, they aren't going to.

In short, I see this as pure, political posturing without any substance behind it at all. Until something is presented to the push the discussion in the other direction, I know where I am placing my bets.
I think that the media have nothing to argue against until Trump provides actual evidence to back up these claims. All they can say is that the claims are unsubstantiated. They can't be expected to prove a negative.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Trump's tweet this morning:
"Why Isn't the Senate Intel Committee looking into the Fake News Networks in OUR country to see why so much of our news is just made up-FAKE!"

Isn't it ironic that the President very frequently spreads unsubstantiated stories from sources like Fox News and Breitbart without providing any evidence to back them up? Here are just 7 examples out of many many more:
1. Obama illegally wiretapped Trump Tower in NYC
2. “Between 3 million and 5 million illegal votes caused me to lose the popular vote.”
3. “So, look, when President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can't have that.” (There were no gun homicide victims in Chicago that day.)
4. “They all say it's 'nonbinding.' Like hell it's nonbinding.” (The Paris climate agreement is nonbinding — and Trump said so in his speech announcing the withdrawal.)
5. “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”(The mayor was specifically talking about the enlarged police presence on the streets.)
6. “When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?” (Clapper said he wouldn't have been told of an investigation into collusion.)
7. “We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world.” (We're not even close.)

So, who is guiltier of spreading "fake news" stories?

Authority = Truth in America...

sheeple.jpg

The Big Lie: Why America is all about Control and Conformity, not Truth or Freedom

It seems to me the fight is over who gets to dictate the narrative. The truth seems less important than the perception of authority of the individual telling the narrative.

I suspect both Trump and the news media realize this.

Personally I've kind of stop expecting the truth from either. Do either really know anything about truth?

Trump? Really?
The news media just repeat whatever they get from their "trusted" sources.

Both Trump and the News media create the truth for millions of Americans. The perception of authority is more important than honesty.

The authority of the presidency was always an illusion IMO. Folks are finally beginning to question it is all. The news media lost its perception of authority when it decided to go after ratings.

Leaves you to do your own research if you want any chance at getting at the "truth". Even then you're still having to deal with your own bias.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
They all present the same stories because they are covering the same people ... U.S. Politicians in the Federal Government. Not exclusively, but that is what is getting them ratings. If the stories are real it would be likely that every news organization would cover them. And, since Trump has started a "war with the mainstream media", it shouldn't surprise you that they don't kiss his behind ever (like Fox News, Breitbart sometimes, the Daily Caller, etc.). If the stories are true, we should assume taht they would be covered by all of the news agencies. They compete with each other for ratings. And, stories about Trump and his admin. get good ratings.

Trump doesn't care about the ratings, he knows they're cooked. Trump just wants it out there what exactly he's doing/being done. They aren't even printing that, never mind their opinions of him. Trump is about 100% more open than Obama ever was, but instead of using that as a resource to inform the American people they use it as a shell game and deceive. They decided to go full time on garbage stories about irrelevant matters. How exactly does that make them credible? I mean, literally... I've read stories on them tripping about Melania's shoes...

Now, we know that the Daily Caller and Breitbart (and Fox News to a smaller degree) consistently publish "fake news" (exaggerated stories, made up stories, rumor without evidence, etc.). The fact that they cover different stories seem to evidence this.

Wow, just wow. It's obvious that both media companies talk about different stories, lending them some legitimacy in my eye. Also, while there are opinion pieces on any of the sites most of what they print is true. 100% truth isn't possible just because none of them absolutely know the truth, but it is tempered with the need to share what is known. Basically, 80% of the truth is better than none of it... The mainstream media prints 20% truth (or less) and the rest are agenda pieces for the "unknown" and "known" puppet masters.

Would you expect them to publish pro-gun stories after a horrific incident where guns were altered to become automatic with legally available parts? I sure wouldn't. I find it common sense that they would speak to gun control after something like this.
You haven't presented any evidence of collusion. Can you provide any?

Anti-gun is anti-America, bottom line. There would be no America if the guns were collected, and besides that criminals do not care if the government wants all of the guns - they'll still keep them. How would any of that stop the crime? We have millions of rounds of ammo in circulation, and a gun for every person in the USA. Perhaps it would be more interesting that most mass shootings in the USA happen via the hands of registered Democrats, how do you like those apples? Why does the mainstream fail to mention that? What does that have to 2nd Amendment rights? Yeah, I can't figure it out either... All it does is confirm that the craziest among us are probably liberal... :D

The evidence for collusion was presented, but I'm not going to do the homework for you. You either get off your lazy ***, or continue to be led around by your nose. It doesn't affect me one iota.. :D

Stay woke...

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not that I disagree, but why do you think that Trump was created by the media?

I think it started during the Reagan era, when the media became more enamored with the "lifestyles of the rich and famous." That's about the same time their love affair with Trump began and he became a household word.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it started during the Reagan era, when the media became more enamored with the "lifestyles of the rich and famous." That's about the same time their love affair with Trump began and he became a household word.
You don't remember the glamorized coverage of Kennedy?

suncowiam

A word of advice: it's far easier to list the times Trump told the truth than when he lies. So, I'll start by listing one truth from him:

Um, er,-- I'm still looking-- have patience!

I got one!

He said "... an island, surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water."

Can't argue with him on that.