• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Trump more dishonest than the mainstream media?

Who is more dishonest, Trump or the Mainstream Media?

• Trump

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • Mainstream Media

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Trump's tweet this morning:
"Why Isn't the Senate Intel Committee looking into the Fake News Networks in OUR country to see why so much of our news is just made up-FAKE!"

Isn't it ironic that the President very frequently spreads unsubstantiated stories from sources like Fox News and Breitbart without providing any evidence to back them up? Here are just 7 examples out of many many more:
1. Obama illegally wiretapped Trump Tower in NYC
2. “Between 3 million and 5 million illegal votes caused me to lose the popular vote.”
3. “So, look, when President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can't have that.” (There were no gun homicide victims in Chicago that day.)
4. “They all say it's 'nonbinding.' Like hell it's nonbinding.” (The Paris climate agreement is nonbinding — and Trump said so in his speech announcing the withdrawal.)
5. “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”(The mayor was specifically talking about the enlarged police presence on the streets.)
6. “When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?” (Clapper said he wouldn't have been told of an investigation into collusion.)
7. “We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world.” (We're not even close.)

So, who is guiltier of spreading "fake news" stories?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Trump simply started the "fake news" craze to personally fight against everything he personally disagrees with; it's ironic how he doesn't refer to anything on Fox News as "fake news".

The only "fake news" comes from Trump himself.
He certainly seems to be the biggest source of it when it comes to making it viral.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
"Why Isn't the Senate Intel Committee looking into the Fake News Networks in OUR country to see why so much of our news is just made up-FAKE!"

Isn't it ironic that the President very frequently spreads unsubstantiated stories from sources like Fox News and Breitbart without providing any evidence to back them up? Here are just 7 examples out of many many more:
2. “Between 3 million and 5 million illegal votes caused me to lose the popular vote.”
3. “So, look, when President Obama was there two weeks ago making a speech, very nice speech. Two people were shot and killed during his speech. You can't have that.” (There were no gun homicide victims in Chicago that day.)
4. “They all say it's 'nonbinding.' Like hell it's nonbinding.” (The Paris climate agreement is nonbinding — and Trump said so in his speech announcing the withdrawal.)
5. “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”(The mayor was specifically talking about the enlarged police presence on the streets.)
6. “When James Clapper himself, and virtually everyone else with knowledge of the witch hunt, says there is no collusion, when does it end?” (Clapper said he wouldn't have been told of an investigation into collusion.)

Don't forget his repeated campaign promise to have Hillary Clinton prosecuted, and his repeated statements that he would release his tax returns.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Trump simply started the "fake news" craze to personally fight against everything he personally disagrees with; it's ironic how he doesn't refer to anything on Fox News as "fake news".

Let me give you my wonderfully eloquent but maybe overly lengthy reply: yep.

metis

A word of advice: it's far easier to list the times Trump told the truth than when he lies. So, I'll start by listing one truth from him:

Um, er,-- I'm still looking-- have patience!

metis

Well, there was that time that he boasted about his ability to sexually assault women.
You found one! You're good-- I'm really impressed. I now believe in miracles.

OK, that's enough for today, so maybe someone here can find another one and post it tomorrow. Wow, I'm getting really excited!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You can't really believe anything Trump says, so I would have to say that the MSM is slightly more believable. Sadly though, even they have had a credibility problem for quite awhile. But, I will agree, Trump is in a class all his own.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Does it really matter all that much if one is "more dishonest" than the other? The mainstream media created Trump and gave him enough clout and celebrity status to reach the point that he did. Even if he has turned into their "Frankenstein's Monster," then that's still on the media for bringing it all about in the first place.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Does it really matter all that much if one is "more dishonest" than the other? The mainstream media created Trump and gave him enough clout and celebrity status to reach the point that he did. Even if he has turned into their "Frankenstein's Monster," then that's still on the media for bringing it all about in the first place.

And here I was blaming the voters who weren't smart enough to think for themselves.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The big problem is Trump has no problem spouting these things off but he offers no credible evidence to the contrary. How could he in 140 characters of less? But that is the point. Trump does not appear to want to do this. This guides me to the conclusion that there isn't much substance behind it outside of blind swinging at anyone who speaks about his administration in a negative tone. For those of us who are data driven, the media gets a pass not because they are purely neutral or are free of biases, but because there is no alternative presented.

Instead of holding rallies and practicing his jump shot with paper towels, perhaps Trump and company could take some time to formulate a concise, articulate argument against the media they seem so motivated to discredit. My theory is that the media bias is the same as it always has been and the reason why the intel committee isn't looking into it is because there isn't anything to look in to. Trump is simply beating this drum to keep that political narrative alive with his base. Good news for him is that those who read his statements and agree with the sentiments are there for good. If they haven't jumped ship by now, they aren't going to.

In short, I see this as pure, political posturing without any substance behind it at all. Until something is presented to the push the discussion in the other direction, I know where I am placing my bets.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Also, @leibowde84

I'll present my argument for how fake the news is...

If the news isn't fake:

Why does it seem like they all get together and print the same stories? Independent news organizations have niches, and print stories reflective of the interests of their viewership. See Breitbart, or The Dally Caller for example... They are on the same "political side of the fence", but the stories will vary. Nearly all of the mainstream media will print exactly the same stories, as if they are a government run propaganda machine. :D The only difference between those news sources is minor editing....

Now, I am not SAYING the wouldn't all headline a major event like the Vegas Shooting. I find it weird though that they all start printing the exact same anti-gun messages at the same time - if they had their own opinions one may focus on the guns, one may blame the psychology of the shooter, one may feel that it's the political climate, etc... They would have their own opinions, but they do not not.. They all immediately lay into the 2nd Amendment.. Regardless, the absurdities that you guys must believe defies my imagination - fine, you're a bleeding heart liberal and you hate Trump. You done? You guys don't even have your own opinions you just parrot theirs...

I'm not even a conservative, but an Anarcho-Capitalist and the collusion is so evident there is simply no way I can trust them.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Not that I disagree, but why do you think that Trump was created by the media?