• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to get cremated if you believe you will be resurrected?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Will God still resurrect your body?

Cremation is prohibited in Judaism (the Orthodox variety, at least - not sure about others) and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. It was prohibited in Catholicism as well, till the Vatican lifted the prohibition in the mid-20th century.

I assume in the above faiths, it's not about what God can or can't do but about what cremation represents.

Cremation is prohibited in Judaism (the Orthodox variety, at least - not sure about others) and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. It was prohibited in Catholicism as well, till the Vatican lifted the prohibition in the mid-20th century.

I assume in the above faiths, it's not about what God can or can't do but about what cremation represents.
Wha does it represent?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A quick Google search indicates cremation is also prohibited in Islam. :infodeskperson:
You are correct:)
Cremation is considered by Islam to be “haram,” or an unclean practice. Muslims are forbidden to take part in the act of cremation in any way, including witnessing the event or even stating approval of it. In Islam, funeral rites are prescribed by the divine law. Burying the dead is the method prescribed.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The resurrection is going to be a zombie apocalypse

Dave Watchman

What if you, and your wife, fall victim to a pyroclastic flow of lava which sweeps out of it's channel and over the ridge you are standing on?

Your molecules are dissolved in with the molten rock?

In June 1991, while filming eruptions at Mount Unzen (Japan), they were caught in a pyroclastic flow, which unexpectedly swept out of the channel that previous smaller flows had been following and onto the ridge they were standing on. They were killed instantly along with 41 other people, including fellow volcanologist Harry Glicken, several firefighters and journalists also covering the eruptions.
Katia and Maurice Krafft - Wikipedia

Those folks will not be exempted from either one of the two future resurrections.

"On that day there will be neither sunlight nor cold, frosty darkness. It will be a unique day—a day known only to the Lord—with no distinction between day and night. When evening comes, there will be light.​

Peaceful Sabbath.

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
What if you, and your wife, fall victim to a pyroclastic flow of lava which sweeps out of it's channel and over the ridge you are standing on?

Your molecules are dissolved in with the molten rock?
giphy.gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If God is omnipotent and omniscient it would be no more difficult to resurrect a cremated body than a person that had just died. A little math example infinity - 1 is no different from infinity - 1000. It is still infinity.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even in my youth when I first heard that idea, it struck me as odd to imagine God would need a skeleton in order to bring back the body. I mean, the skin goes away, and the muscles, and all of that naturally. Even bone disintegrates in time, unless preserved somehow.

I thought, what strange magic this is that requires an intact skeletal structure upon which to recreate out of thin air all the rest of the parts, like eyes, and hairs, and skin, and such which had turned to dust much earlier on. But why would God need that to do his thing?, I thought. It made no sense.

So if a resurrection was a literal thing to happen, then God could probably do it without those basic system requirements, like a skeleton frame to recreate things upon. So getting cremated is no different in the whole "resurrection" process in however that is God would perform the act. Bones or dust, it would make no difference.

I then concluded that those that worried about such things, were too consumed with preserving their lives here on earth as much as they could, rather than surrendering it to God. It was really a case of "trying to take it with you when you're gone" syndrom.

LightofTruth

If He does, it will not matter whether our bodies are skeletons in a boxes, or ashes in urns, or dust in the wind. And if He doesn't, then it won't matter, either.
Ash is ash whether it comes from being buried for thousands of years or being burnt.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God does Not need the old body for us to be in God's memory.
I find at 2 Chronicles 34:5 that the ' bones ' were burned.
'Bodies' were burnt at 1 Samuel 31:12.
Think too of people destroyed by atomic bombs. Not what you'd call cremation but result being the same.
So, those who will have a 'physical resurrection' will have a healthy recognizable body to themselves and to others.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Revelation 20:13...
“And the sea gave up the dead in it, and death and the hades gave up the dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds.”

So even those who were lost at sea, eaten by sharks or other predators of the deep, will not need any physical remains in order to attain a resurrection. Those whose bodies were consumed by fire or animals will likewise be given new bodies.

God did not require anything more than existing molecules to create Adam....he was formed from the elements of the earth. Material creation is made of matter, which God created in the first place. He does not require your remains to re-create you.

Jesus calls all the dead from the same place....their tombs. (John 5:28-29) Both the “righteous and the unrighteousness” will be raised (Acts 24:15)....but not those in “Gehenna”....which means eternal death. Only God knows who is in “Gehenna” (which is erroneously translated “Hell” in many Bibles.) They will never see life again.