• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity White supremacy?

Shalom,

The word 'Christian' conjures up images of a white person although there surely are many nonwhite Christians, just as the word 'Muslim' has become synonymous with 'brown' even if there are many white Muslims. Bottom line, has Christianity ceased to be a religion and become instead a front for white supremacy?

Please don't be offended by this. I love Christ, but the fact that this religion is inextricably linked to racism cannot be denied. The US president Obama (I mean the abuse he faced from his opponents) is a good example here.

Mahatma

Last edited:

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Good question. I believe earlier practice it was. Remember, christianity historically is an off-brand of Judaism, totally foreign to Europe at the time. I believe as Christianity developed it became attached to anglo-saxon culture. So in renaissance paintings you see mary and jesus as white and muscular or in various cathedrals and churches over the world you see a pale jesus or mary totally and historically inaccurate depictions. I am sure if we gave jesus darker skin and short hair people would be uncomfortable or if Mary looked Latino instead of caucasian people would believe that would be an inaccurate version of mary.

As far as christianity today I don't think its the same as it was in the middle ages however I do believe the residue of its past is still there.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Well look at jesus "picture" and tell me if that ain't a white man being portrayed there. Didn't expect someone of Jewish ethnicity (especially back at that time before races started mixing) to look like a white hippie from the 60's.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Shalom,

The word 'Christian' conjures up images of a white person although there surely are many nonwhite Christians, just as the word 'Muslim' has become synonymous with 'brown' even if there are many white Muslims. Bottom line, has Christianity ceased to be a religion and become instead a front for white supremacy?

Please don't be offended by this. I love Christ, but the fact that this religion is inextricably linked to racism cannot be denied. The US president Obama (I mean the abuse he faced from his opponents) is a good example here.

Mahatma

While many white supremacists have inexplicably co-opted Christianity into their ideology, I would say that it's hardly representative of Christianity as a whole, although christian conservatism in the U.S. certainly has ethnocentric overtones.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Reminding everyone this is the Christian DIR, but seeing as I'm a Christian Gnostic, yes I think sometimes Christianity has been used as that. To me it's a misuse, but there it is. Not so much today, Christianity is starting to acknowledge it's Jewish roots. It's not uncommon to hear one say Jesus and his apostles were Jews, which was unheard of 100 years ago in Christendom.

Like I said, a misuse of Christianity, but actually not surprising. Christianity is so ingrained into European culture and mindset, and in the ancient world that often meant a religion was used to support such agendas. It happens with all religions.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Christian DIR, folks.

EDIT: No longer in DIR forum, ignore notice.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
MOD POST

I am backing up Zardoz here by reminding you folks this is the Christian DIR.

The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.​

Beta

Well look at jesus "picture" and tell me if that ain't a white man being portrayed there. Didn't expect someone of Jewish ethnicity (especially back at that time before races started mixing) to look like a white hippie from the 60's.
Yes , it is false christianity (mainly catholics) who paint a picture of Jesus the way you describe it and have done untold damage to true followers who actually go with the 2nd commandment.
All this 'idol worship' is not doing religion any favours as we can see from the false concept it creates.
God did start out with the Tribes of Israel but they also included others who had the same privileges as long as they observed God's ways Ex.12v49. God has never limited himself to a single nation ,colour or race and this still applies in the NT Acts 10v35.

There is a lesson here for people not to look to people for truth but to GOD ALONE. :yes:

Beta

Reminding everyone this is the Christian DIR, but seeing as I'm a Christian Gnostic, yes I think sometimes Christianity has been used as that. To me it's a misuse, but there it is. Not so much today, Christianity is starting to acknowledge it's Jewish roots. It's not uncommon to hear one say Jesus and his apostles were Jews, which was unheard of 100 years ago in Christendom.

Like I said, a misuse of Christianity, but actually not surprising. Christianity is so ingrained into European culture and mindset, and in the ancient world that often meant a religion was used to support such agendas. It happens with all religions.
I must agree with you on this.
I am from a european RC background and was raised with anti-jewish teachings denying Jesus' own roots. I am very old now and know different but my relatives back home are still staunch RC and see religion quite differently from the actual TRUTH. :eek:

kai

ragamuffin
I would ask Christians here if the images of Jesus tend to carry the characteristics of the culture that produced them. I saw some Ethiopian ones that didn't look much like white Anglo Saxon protestants.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I would ask Christians here if the images of Jesus tend to carry the characteristics of the culture that produced them. I saw some Ethiopian ones that didn't look much like white Anglo Saxon protestants.

Of course Kai a culture tends to depict their religious figures in a way familiar to that culture.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"

Kai difference is historically europeans used christianity as a shield to justify inhumane acts. Europeans used the curse of ham to enslave blacks, the fear of hell to convert samoans and the wrath of God to annihilate Native Americans.

kai

ragamuffin
Kai difference is historically europeans used christianity as a shield to justify inhumane acts. Europeans used the curse of ham to enslave blacks, the fear of hell to convert samoans and the wrath of God to annihilate Native Americans.

No different tactics than anyone else then!

kai

ragamuffin
lest take a look at the OP it asks

The word 'Christian' conjures up images of a white person although there surely are many nonwhite Christians

really ? to me it does but i live in a predominately white country, but would say a Lebanese person or an Egyptian or an Ethiopian cunjure up an image of a white person when he or she thinks of a Christian. I dont think so.

This thread is now in Religious debates by the way

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is Islam a front for Brown supremacy?

:shrug:
Well. are the two dilemmas in conflict with each other?
There is Christian supremacy, and Islamic supremacy.
I am not sure how one contradicts the other. especially in light of the reality that both expanded civilizations have been conquering each other on our historical time line. and both of them boasted of supremacy.

Last edited: