• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is changing you're religion wrong?

Mr.Lost

Mr.Lost
There's nothing wrong with a person changing their position about something.

If, however, you find yourself changing rather frequently, you might do well to examine your process for determining what is true from what is false. You may be over-committing to a particular position without enough justification, or relying too heavily on quick-changing emotions rather than reason.

To say that "atheists think religion = lack of freedom" is an untrue statement. Some atheists do perhaps, but you've used a broad label incorrectly.

Emotions is what god gave us if god (exists). I believe in going to what feels right. Though that is where I'm stuck people use a god to cope sometimes but if there is none then...

InvestigateTruth

Emotions is what god gave us if god (exists). I believe in going to what feels right. Though that is where I'm stuck people use a god to cope sometimes but if there is none then...

I think, feelings has more to do with telling us if we like something or not. But mind is really what determines what is true and logical.
But I think, If a religion has truth in it, it should bring happiness, when it is practiced.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I disagree with you earlier comment saying that i have not found him yet due to being in the wrong place. I think that if you are a good person you need religion not to find him. In a religious point of view i do think that one will be guided i'm just frustrated and ****** that this loving god hates me lol.

BTW many thanks for clearing that up :bow:

ok i'll go with that and perhaps ask you a question that may help you undestand my pov

Were the followers of Jim Jones in a religion that led them to God?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In a religious point of view i do think that one will be guided i'm just frustrated and ****** that this loving god hates me lol.

sorry, i missed this in my last post.

God doesnt hate anyone...but he does expect us to take the initiative.

There are religions that cater to atheism, such as Unitarian Universalism, even Buddhism and Jainism, stripped of its parabolic decor.

Whether you believe in God or not, just stay true to who you are. There is nothing God wants more than to be honest with yourself. God only knows how much I've switched religions in my lifetime... I just hope I don't offend anyone with it, LOL.

Surya Deva

You should always be open to your knowledge changing, when new information becomes available. If you are not, you will stop yourself from learning. I have changed my religious and philosophical views many times in my life. I was born Sikh, then I later became atheist, then I became Nihilist, then I became New-age, then I became existentialist and finally I have settled on Hinduism. I have not yet come across any new information that would cause me to change from Hinduism. In fact, as Hinduism is santana dharma, the eternal religion, I don't think change is even possible now.

Onkara

You should always be open to your knowledge changing, when new information becomes available. If you are not, you will stop yourself from learning. I have changed my religious and philosophical views many times in my life. I was born Sikh, then I later became atheist, then I became Nihilist, then I became New-age, then I became existentialist and finally I have settled on Hinduism. I have not yet come across any new information that would cause me to change from Hinduism. In fact, as Hinduism is santana dharma, the eternal religion, I don't think change is even possible now.

Why did you choose Santana Dharma over Sikhi, any reason or just progress? :)

Surya Deva

Onkara,

I do not like devotion and theism(I still maintan some of my atheist leanings, however I accept Brahman as you may already know) Sikhism is highly devotional, ritualistic and theistic, even though it hinges on Nirguna Brahman and is suppose to eschew ritual. This is the same reason I do not like Bhakti Hinduism. I have always had a very scientific temper and this is why santana dharma is my religion of choice over everything else out there. The beauty of this religion is that it puts the human being at centre stage. It is all about being human and how to become a better human being through self-development. I detect not even a tinge of superstition, mysticism or faith in this approach. I can see why it is called "eternal religion" because it is based on the same universal reality of humanity. The truth is present within all human beings. The human is the scripture of this religion. Even if the Vedas were to disappear of the face of this planet, the eternal religion would once again be established by the humans who inquire into the depths of their soul.

Onkara

Onkara,

I do not like devotion and theism(I still maintan some of my atheist leanings, however I accept Brahman as you may already know) Sikhism is highly devotional, ritualistic and theistic, even though it hinges on Nirguna Brahman and is suppose to eschew ritual. This is the same reason I do not like Bhakti Hinduism. I have always had a very scientific temper and this is why santana dharma is my religion of choice over everything else out there. The beauty of this religion is that it puts the human being at centre stage. It is all about being human and how to become a better human being through self-development. I detect not even a tinge of superstition, mysticism or faith in this approach. I can see why it is called "eternal religion" because it is based on the same universal reality of humanity. The truth is present within all human beings. The human is the scripture of this religion. Even if the Vedas were to disappear of the face of this planet, the eternal religion would once again be established by the humans who inquire into the depths of their soul.

Thanks, that is useful to know. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is changing your clothing wrong?

Your hair color?

The style of your furniture?

The way you do things?

Your past times?

Hobbies?

Your job?

Where you live?
It's fine to change any of those things, but if you're changing them every day, it can get disruptive and expensive. ;)

Mr. Lost, personally, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with someone changing their religion, but if you're constantly shifting from one religion/viewpoint/label to another, this could be a sign that none of the ones you're shifting between are a good fit for you.

It's no skin off my nose if you change your mind about religion... even if you do it frequently. However, I think it's good for people to be happy. If you're happy changing religions frequently, fine by me, but the fact that you're changing them, plus this thread, are signs to me that you might not be so happy this way.

Surya Deva

It's no skin off my nose if you change your mind about religion... even if you do it frequently. However, I think it's good for people to be happy. If you're happy changing religions frequently, fine by me, but the fact that you're changing them, plus this thread, are signs to me that you might not be so happy this way.

You will continue to change your religion until your needs for choosing religion are met. Most people who choose religion are looking for happiness, liberation or salvation. If a religion does not provide this, then it is natural to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
It's fine to change any of those things, but if you're changing them every day, it can get disruptive and expensive. ;)

Mr. Lost, personally, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with someone changing their religion, but if you're constantly shifting from one religion/viewpoint/label to another, this could be a sign that none of the ones you're shifting between are a good fit for you.

That's good and well, Mr. Almost Penguin, but I especially love your dino comic.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I worry cuz over the past year I been jumping from one religion o the next not knowing where ill end up. I question and end up with more. some people say you have to stay on one and have faith. How long must I stay on a religion to understand then concepts that don't make any sense? My brother who is Atheists is trying to sway me off the path of religion (or maybe hes the devil tv preacher tried to say that. I guess what im asking is if its ok to jump from theists agnostic and atheists from day to day.:run:
Believe your brother! One thing that all Atheists believe staunchly is that a god doesn't exist................period. No other rules, doctrines, interpretations, or gray areas.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I worry cuz over the past year I been jumping from one religion o the next not knowing where ill end up. I question and end up with more. some people say you have to stay on one and have faith. How long must I stay on a religion to understand then concepts that don't make any sense? My brother who is Atheists is trying to sway me off the path of religion (or maybe hes the devil tv preacher tried to say that. I guess what im asking is if its ok to jump from theists agnostic and atheists from day to day.:run:

I can't see any reason why it would be wrong. It may well be unconfortable on a personal level and embarassing on a social level, of course, but by no means wrong.