• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being religious sane or not?

confused453

If/when humanity advances enough to travel the universe. It would be possible to bio-engineer personal slaves on your personal planet(s)/galaxy who'll think that you're a god (all knowing, all powerful). Then you get bored, and leave the place, or even die, by accident/stupidity :facepalm:

I just don't understand why would a sane person assemble in a pretty building and ask some being for granting his/her wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If/when humanity advances enough to travel the universe. It would be possible to bio-engineer personal slaves on your personal planet(s)/galaxy who'll think that you're a god (all knowing, all powerful). Then you get bored, and leave the place, or even die, by accident/stupidity :facepalm:

All religions, are just basically sets of some rules and stories written by some people. We as humanity are knowledgeable and advanced enough to make our own rules based on analysis of things and situations.

I just don't understand why would a sane person assemble in a pretty building and ask some being for granting his/her wishes.
Maybe I wonder the same about the irreligious.
:p

apophenia

Religion is insane and unreasonable. Destroying the environment with capitalist consumerism is insane and unreasonable. Desire for fame after death is insane and unreasonable. Expecting a logical explanation for all of existence is insane and unreasonable.

Generally speaking, humanity is insane and unreasonable.That's just the way we roll.

rusra02

Premium Member

All religions, are just basically sets of some rules and stories written by some people. We as humanity are knowledgeable and advanced enough to make our own rules based on analysis of things and situations.

I believe the evidence for God is all around us, in the order, intelligence, and engineering genius of life, in the wonders of natural cycles, and earth's place in the cosmos.
Thinking people realize that this all didn't "just happen." It is not true that ALL religions are man-made, though most are. There is but one true religion, according to the Bible, that centers on the worship of the one true God, Jehovah. (John 17:3)
Jehovah has made known what his purposes are, and given abundant proof of his existence and interest in mankind. Whether we acknowledge God now or not, God will completely carry out his will "on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:9,10)

cablescavenger

I have grown up with religion and religious people around me who I am close to.

I have been to religious conventions and had thousands of people dancing around in some kind of self induced hysteria waving flags and claiming to perform miracles.

I have been to church many times throughpout my life and witnessed people in all truthfulness believe what they are saying and hearing no matter that it has no bearing on the reality in which they exist.

I also think that at times their willingness to believe and trust in people and appreciate a salvation story makes them more disposed and vulnerable to people quite capable and willing to take advantage of them, including their own religious organisation.

I don't think of them as insane. I have sympathy for them, though I know it falls on deaf ears.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Our own stories, too. The rules and stories were written for a reason, not entertainment. That reason is the "basis," not the stories.

Generally, that's not the reason.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Being a Christian is the only sane thing there is. It tackles reality with a workable solution.

Anything else is not sane because it either ignores the reality that we do hamful things to ourselves or others, or it has no workable solution to prevent the harm from occurring.

This is not enough information. It could just be religious hocus pocus or quite sincere. Not all religion is good religion.

This is not true. The Bible is God inspired.

And that is why we now have rules that say it is ok to murder babies and commit sexually perverted acts.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Religion is insane and unreasonable. Destroying the environment with capitalist consumerism is insane and unreasonable. Desire for fame after death is insane and unreasonable. Expecting a logical explanation for all of existence is insane and unreasonable.

Generally speaking, humanity is insane and unreasonable.That's just the way we roll.

However this isn't religion. Religion says that we are stewards of this world. But what will you claim? That God is a polluter because he allows volcanos that spew out noxious fumes and destroy the land around with fire?

Desire for for fame seems quite natural and normal to me. Usually the only people who don't want to be noticed are those who are doing harm.

What planet are you from? A love of learning and a desire for answers is quite normal.

By and large people live their lives rationally. When it becomes otherwise and the majority of the people seek to do evil all the time, God will destry the world.

Bob Dixon

>implying
I believe the evidence for God is all around us, in the order, intelligence, and engineering genius of life, in the wonders of natural cycles, and earth's place in the cosmos.
Thinking people realize that this all didn't "just happen." It is not true that ALL religions are man-made, though most are. There is but one true religion, according to the Bible, that centers on the worship of the one true God, Jehovah. (John 17:3)
Jehovah has made known what his purposes are, and given abundant proof of his existence and interest in mankind. Whether we acknowledge God now or not, God will completely carry out his will "on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:9,10)

I, too, enjoy using circular reasoning.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
All religions, are just basically sets of some rules and stories written by some people.
No, they're not.

We as humanity are knowledgeable and advanced enough to make our own rules based on analysis of things and situations.
Yes, we are. Just as we were 1400, 2000, 6000, etc. years ago.

The problem with the ancient faiths is that the vast majority of their adherents (at least imx) have clung to the forms while allowing the context and meaning to be forgotten.

Newer faiths don't really have that issue.

waitasec

Veteran Member

this may be a bit off topic...
i think religion morphs into different phases. philosophy is always going to be what pushes ideas forward which teeters between sanity and insanity...actually if there were no philosophies i would go crazy with boredom.
;)

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Let's just pretend for a second that you are actually describing some existent religion (you aren't), the reason this behavior is not insane or even irrational, illogical, unreasonable or otherwise intellectually void, is because every once in awhile that wish gets granted. You can sit on your high horse looking down and explain a million reasons why their visit to the pretty building had nothing to do with their bounty, but that's only YOUR point of view. From their point of view it was absolutely the crucial element.

If someone prays for something in church and they end up getting it, its pretty hard to convince that person that the prayer had nothing to do with it because, lets face it, there is no proof that prayer had nothing to do with it.

F0uad

What if i throw this argument into the discussion: Its sane not to be religious if you belief that god exist and created you.

F0uad

Being a Christian is the only sane thing there is. It tackles reality with a workable solution.

Could you give me examples on how to solve the finical crisis with your religious text?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Religion can be sane, don't get lost in generalizations. However, insanity can be sane in some ways itself. It is quite sane to be apathetic, to turn your back on the harshness of reality, to seek comfort and love from all powerful beings. Ignorance truly is bliss, bliss is just not as helpful as truth.