• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being religious sane or not?

confused453

According to Wikipedia, being sane means having a healthy mind in a healthy body. And insane can have different meanings like mental illness, or "something considered highly unique, passionate or extreme, including in a positive sense."

Don't you think that being religious is being in a state of rejection of reality, by following an imaginary one? If yes, wouldn't that count as being insane? Any thoughts?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
According to Wikipedia, being sane means having a healthy mind in a healthy body. And insane can have different meanings like mental illness, or "something considered highly unique, passionate or extreme, including in a positive sense."

Don't you think that being religious is being in a state of rejection of reality, by following an imaginary one? If yes, wouldn't that count as being insane? Any thoughts?

Rejection of reality?? Reality is having to pay my bills, raise my children- 2 (out of 3) of whom are special needs, cook healthy meals, and so on. I can't reject reality- I live in it everyday. Religion is not an "escape of reality" for most of we theists.

confused453

Rejection of reality?? Reality is having to pay my bills, raise my children- 2 (out of 3) of whom are special needs, cook healthy meals, and so on. I can't reject reality- I live in it everyday. Religion is not an "escape of reality" for most of we theists.

Bills, children and cooking are more related to responsibility. Religion is the opposite of responsibility, by dumping the problems, for example, to god, by praying and stuff like that.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Bills, children and cooking are more related to responsibility. Religion is the opposite of responsibility, by dumping the problems, for example, to god, by praying and stuff like that.
Not all believers do that, and even if we did - since when is asking for help a bad thing?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Suggesting religion is the opposite of responsibility is patently absurd. Confused453, I think you need to quit overgeneralizing and speak to specific examples. In some cases, beliefs (religious or otherwise) can be used as a way to dodge responsibility. This is not even remotely true of religion and its adherents as a whole. Many religions flat out demand personal responsibility. Probably most of them, when I think about it, considering one of the major functions of religion is to set guidelines for a person's interactions with the environment. Ten Commandments anyone?

confused453

Asking for help can be a good and a bad thing, depending on a situation. If you need a loan, and you absolutely know that you're going to pay it back, then I guess it could be a good thing. If children suffer because their parents are drug addicts or alcoholics, and the parents pray for help, and then continue doing the same stuff, I don't think it's a good thing.

Wouldn't it be interesting if churches and equivalent places, would teach people responsibility towards living beings and the environment, instead of teaching the bible, or equivalent?, (no gods); just morality based on reality.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Being a Christian is the only sane thing there is. It tackles reality with a workable solution.

Anything else is not sane because it either ignores the reality that we do hamful things to ourselves or others, or it has no workable solution to prevent the harm from occurring.

This is not enough information. It could just be religious hocus pocus or quite sincere. Not all religion is good religion.

This is not true. The Bible is God inspired.

And that is why we now have rules that say it is ok to murder babies and commit sexually perverted acts.

You're only strengthening the argument that religious people are insane... To call someone perverted because they're in a consensual relationship with someone they love who happens to be of the same sex is insane. A microscopic ball of goo is NOT a baby... And a religion based on a man who didn't exist has no basis in reality