• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Muffled

Jesus in me
God has nothing to say on the subject, but the ancient Hebrews sure did. I don't go by what humans say, except for Jesus, and he said nothing.

I believe Jesus is God in the flesh so whatever was said in the OT and by Paul comes from Jesus as well.

Parsimony

Yes, the holy Qur’an and the prophet’s traditions encourage the person to get married and have children. How many children is debatable, but the holy Quran implies that it’s related to how much you earn.

It’s considered a sin (Not a major Sin, but still a sin) if you have the funding and the place to get married and have children and you don’t.

Regards
Mahmoud
I'm sure glad I'm not a Muslim...

Brinne

Interesting question. In Shinto there isn't really a canon or list of dos a dont's. There are things considered impure and pure though impurity generally has to do with anything related to death, injury, blood, or things associated with malignant intent.

Across Japanese history homosexuality has never been a problem. In fact, it was common for members of the military caste to have a younger male lover. Kabuki, a traditional form of theater, was usually put on by homosexuals. Another interesting tidbit is that there is a shrine in Tokyo's gay village that is commonly associated with homosexuals, though that is mainly due to a play on words with the word 'gei' which is in the shrine's name.

I don't have a problem with homosexuality and I'm sure many other followers of the kami-faith share my views. Though I can't speak for everyone.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I believe your church is apostate.
Because Jesus was sooooo against lifting the downtrodden, including the outcast, and freeing the oppressed?

But frankly, I don't give a tinker's dam what you "believe." You've never been to my church, you're not familiar with our theological design, our praxis, or our missional impetus. So you're really not in a position to comment on the state of our acceptability. When you can park your butt in a seat and participate in what's going in, then an opinion might be valuable.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Yeah, you haven't given your views on this matter.

OK.

Atheists have no "views" about religious concepts of "sin".

A silly and simple conclusion comes painfully forward... "NO".

"Being gay" is NOT a sin.

Does that help?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The concept of "ergi" says otherwise.

Actually there is a different way of looking at this in Viking culture.

It is not OK for a male to be effeminate, having nothing to do with homosexuality. All males must be warriors - to the death.

In some of these sagas - this is used with men whom use what is considered women's forms of magic.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Interesting question. In Shinto there isn't really a canon or list of dos a dont's. There are things considered impure and pure though impurity generally has to do with anything related to death, injury, blood, or things associated with malignant intent.

Across Japanese history homosexuality has never been a problem. In fact, it was common for members of the military caste to have a younger male lover. Kabuki, a traditional form of theater, was usually put on by homosexuals. Another interesting tidbit is that there is a shrine in Tokyo's gay village that is commonly associated with homosexuals, though that is mainly due to a play on words with the word 'gei' which is in the shrine's name.

I don't have a problem with homosexuality and I'm sure many other followers of the kami-faith share my views. Though I can't speak for everyone.

I understand that Japanese culture is actually still decidedly uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality. Pretty sure same-sex marriage isn't legal, at least. Granted, that's not a reflection of Shinto belief directly, but still.

One would think, especially since considering the main symbol of your religion is a phallic/fertility symbol. :p

Well, the real reason why Thor's Hammer is that shape is because the people who wore it back in the day were displaying an open rebellion against Christianity; it kind of resembles an upside-down cross.

There might have been a phallic element to it, though. ^_^

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, the real reason why Thor's Hammer is that shape is because the people who wore it back in the day were displaying an open rebellion against Christianity; it kind of resembles an upside-down cross.

I'm not so sure of that reasoning. Besides, the inverted cross is a Christian symbol in the first place. It's the Cross of St. Peter.

There might have been a phallic element to it, though. ^_^
There definitely is. It's a fertility symbol.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I'm not so sure of that reasoning. Besides, the inverted cross is a Christian symbol in the first place. It's the Cross of St. Peter.

There definitely is. It's a fertility symbol.

It probably is a fertility symbol, and all crosses go back to a sun symbol.

Mjölnir is "That which smashes", derived from the verb mölva "To smash."

It is made in a forge by Sindri and Brokkr.

As a Atheist I do not believe in a sin concept. However, when I was younger and a practicing Catholic I was taught that homosexuality was sin. This was taught at my local church and my interpretation reading the bible. The Catholic church still holds this view. This is from their website.

Throughout history, Jewish and Christian scholars have recognized that one of the chief sins involved in God’s destruction of Sodom was its people’s homosexual behavior. But today, certain homosexual activists promote the idea that the sin of Sodom was merely a lack of hospitality. Although inhospitality is a sin, it is clearly the homosexual behavior of the Sodomites that is singled out for special criticism in the account of their city’s destruction. We must look to Scripture’s own interpretation of the sin of Sodom.

Jude 7 records that Sodom and Gomorrah "acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust." Ezekiel says that Sodom committed "abominable things" (Ezek. 16:50), which could refer to homosexual and heterosexual acts of sin. Lot even offered his two virgin daughters in place of his guests, but the men of Sodom rejected the offer, preferring homosexual sex over heterosexual sex (Gen. 19:8–9). Ezekiel does allude to a lack of hospitality in saying that Sodom "did not aid the poor and needy" (Ezek. 16:49). So homosexual acts and a lack of hospitality both contributed to the destruction of Sodom, with the former being the far greater sin, the "abominable thing" that set off God’s wrath.

The website is Catholic dot com/homosexuality

According to the religion? No.
According to some in the religion? Yes.

I just showed you what the official position was of the Catholic church and it's 1,000,000,000 followers. If a Catholic follower does not agree with that then they are not a Catholic, plain and simple.

:yes:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As a Atheist I do not believe in a sin concept. However, when I was younger and a practicing Catholic I was taught that homosexuality was sin. This was taught at my local church and my interpretation reading the bible. The Catholic church still holds this view. This is from their website.

The website is Catholic dot com/homosexuality

I just showed you what the official position was of the Catholic church and it's 1,000,000,000 followers. If a Catholic follower does not agree with that then they are not a Catholic, plain and simple.

:yes:

Yeah, because being a Catholic all depends on what you think about gays. It has nothing to do with God or theology.

Get a clue.

The human mind sees symbology even when there isn't any.

Thor's hammer.... is a hammer nothing more.

The Christian cross.......is the means of Roman Capitol punishment, nothing more. It's shape is the most logical shape to have if you are trying to crucify a Homo Sapien. It has no more meaning then a triangle.

Yeah, because being a Catholic all depends on what you think about gays. It has nothing to do with God or theology.

Get a clue.

No but it has to do with agreeing with official Catholic doctrine. If you check out their website they provide comprehensive examples through out the bible that show the intent of the authors and the God conceptualized in the bible conveying his disdain for homosexuality. I think it's something you need to read closely and think long and hard on. Really long and really hard ...

:D

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No but it has to do with agreeing with official Catholic doctrine. If you check out their website they provide comprehensive examples through out the bible that show the intent of the authors and the God conceptualized in the bible conveying his disdain for homosexuality. I think it's something you need to read closely and think long and hard on. Really long and really hard ...

:D

Dogma and social teachings aren't the same things. I hardly care what the Vatican or conservative apologetics sites like catholic.com have to say about sexual issues since they are disregarding modern science on the subject and are stuck in a faulty "natural law" understanding of it from the Middle Ages which needs to be thrown out and the teachings completely revised in light of new knowledge.

I've been thinking long and hard about this for years. I don't appreciate smug anti-theists like you using what is often a very difficult emotional and social journey to go through (LGBT Christians coming to terms with being both) in order to score "points" in bashing us.