• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's nothing wrong with being gay. It would be better if sex was within a loving bond of holy matrimony.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I do have a religion, and the concept of "sin" isn't in its vocabulary.

There is, however, virtuous and honorable behavior that speaks of good character. One's sexuality doesn't play into that at all, in of itself. It depends on how one uses it, and whether or not one's uses of it are in keeping with one's own sense of virtue and honor.

The various gods also have things they favor and disfavor. One isn't expected to act in accordance with the favors of all the gods; it is impossible. The vast majority of the gods will be completely indifferent to some human's sexual preferences. For those whose domains include sexuality, so what if you're disfavored by the gods who enshrine male-female sex to exclusion of all other sex acts? The ones who are more inclusive will favor you just fine.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I do have a religion, and the concept of "sin" isn't in its vocabulary.

Same here.

The Old Way had a real stigma against "unmanly behavior" back in the Old Days, which over time got confused with homosexuality in general, but as I'm a feminine, heterosexual man by nature, I leave that stigma in the past where it belongs. Not all aspects of the Old Way are appropriate anymore, and the nature of living religions is that there's no set-in-stone "thou shalt nots" that are regarded as true for all time, but rather a lot of room for variation, growth, and change to suit the needs of the time.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Degrees of honorable and less honorable, more holy and less holy, more intelligent and less. Along with that goes things more likely to bring shame or disgust to your self and your family/friends/community. The things most would see as plainly criminal and truly devious would be seen as a solid wrong.

I see LGBT people as being left handed rather than wrong or evil handed lol I look at how they live, how they love, etc. Their partners, body positions, and other juicy details don't matter to me and I think it is generally like this for most pagans in general. I don't think Gods are so petty as to care about your romantic life. Some people see the Divine as always watching, worrying, plotting over them like our very own Truman Show. In my opinion it's not only very unlikely but very bad for your quality of life, well-being, and personal evolution.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What is there to fear..?
I ... dunno. Probably the fear associated with difference. People are taught to fear people who are different from them.

Here's an example: When I was in college back around 1980, I had shoulder-length hair, I wore faded blue jeans and usually rock band T-shirts. But no one was more religious than I.

One day, I had to run some items over to a christian radio station located on a Baptist college campus. As I was walking across the campus (it was very conservative; the girls all had to wear at least knee-length skirts, and the boys had to wear slacks and button-down shirts, and wear short hair) I became lost. I saw a girl sitting on a bench reading a book. I stopped, said, "Excuse me, I'm trying to find the radio station." She looked up; her eyes got real big, her mouth opened and closed several times, and she got up and literally ran away from me.

Because I was different.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The priest of my parish said in a sermon:
" Nature has already been unfair enough to gays. Why should we be cruel to them too? "
that was a bit inappropriate but

I think that Christianity substantially thinks that nature creates diversity and diversity is not a guilt

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What is there to fear..?

Afraid of catching "teh ghey" and converting others. It's our sworn duty and mission to seek out every hunky straight man, seduce him away from his wife (the women can keep the ugly men) and make him have teh ghey secks and like it (I spend waaay too much time on bodybuilding.com :D). First on my list is Chris Hunksworth, I mean Hemsworth. You must realize of course that is all dripping with sarcasm, but it's not anything I have not encountered. It worries me that people actually believe those things.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My Grandmother's church was Methodist. They had a Lesbian pastor so I suppose not.

ametist

being gay is a special case. it is like being born extremely rich, having had your own child killed in an accident at an early age, like being genious, like your house getting burnt and losing both of your parents. it doesnt happen to everyone thus correct interpretation of it, right attitude towards it and with it can bring you great rewards spiritually unlike things that happens to everyone now and then like greed or jelausy or being kind. thus it is just a great opportunity given to gay people.
those who are not gay in no way can estimate what is in their heart or biology only god does. so those non gays should respectfully keep their silence, stop including themselves in that relationship as if they know what it is like to be a gay or what it is like to be their creator.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
being gay is a special case. it is like being born extremely rich, having had your own child killed in an accident at an early age, like being genious, like your house getting burnt and losing both of your parents. it doesnt happen to everyone thus correct interpretation of it, right attitude towards it and with it can bring you great rewards spiritually unlike things that happens to everyone now and then like greed or jelausy or being kind. thus it is just a great opportunity given to gay people.
those who are not gay in no way can estimate what is in their heart or biology only god does. so those non gays should respectfully keep their silence, stop including themselves in that relationship as if they know what it is like to be a gay or what it is like to be their creator.
Plus, heaven will be *FABULOUS* for gays. :cool: