• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innocent vs Stupid. Can you explain giving examples ?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Nobody is stupid. Nobody does that mistake. Does anybody ? why will one do such mistake ? Have you seen anybody doing ? :)
Have you been watching the grass and the fence all your life? How do you know who is innocent or who is stupid, when anyone can be both? :oops:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Innocent is without blame. Stupid is when you should know better and don't.

Blamed for being stupid and was not.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Please explain the difference between Innocent and Stupid by giving an example ?

Kindly note: No direct speech, or definitions. Only examples please.
Innocent: Newly born pure child
Stupid: An educated 40 year old man from India with frostbite condition going on a South Pole expedition AND complaining about frostbite afterwards

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Please explain the difference between Innocent and Stupid by giving an example ?

As I see it, ‘innocent’ is a state of unintentional ignorance; ‘stupid’ is a state of willful ignorance.

ETA:

Innocent: Touching and getting burned by a hot stovetop when you’re unable to see the stovetop is on.

Stupid: Touching a hot stovetop and getting burned knowing you got burned the first time you didn’t check if it was on.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Innocent, The English women complained aloud about **** in a New York City Bar.
Stupid, The Texan complained aloud about **** in a New York City Bar.

In case you don't Know **** are cigarettes in England and a Slang term in Texas.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The opposite of innocent is guilty rather than stupid.

Innocent maybe more He accused her of cheating on him based on the gossip of his girl's friend. Later, it found out the friend lied to him, therefore her girlfriend was actually innocent. He apologized.

Stupid is more, I did a stupid thing this morning. I went into the cabinet to get a plate thinking it was a cup. I poured the orange juice on the plate, and realized when the juice splashed the floor, I was stupid (or a stupid behavior).

Calling someone stupid is a common way to use it. "He didn't know what two and two is and he's an adult. He's stupid."

PureX

Veteran Member
I find that very few stupid people are stupid because they cannot learn. They are almost inevitably stupid because they will not learn. They don't think they need to, because they think they already know what matters (to them). They are stupidly myopic, and as a result; willfully ignorant.

Innocence is something else. Innocence is really just moral naivety, usually as a result of inexperience.

chinu

chinu
Have you been watching the grass and the fence all your life? How do you know who is innocent or who is stupid, when anyone can be both? :oops:
No. not been watching grass and fence all life. But, I ever haven't heard anybody doing such a stupidity, have you ?

chinu

chinu
Innocent: Touching and getting burned by a hot stovetop when you’re unable to see the stovetop is on. Stupid: Touching a hot stovetop and getting burned knowing you got burned the first time you didn’t check if it was on.
What if, someone thought he/she checked the stove, but didn't ? Sometimes, human mind perform such errors when in hurry, isn't ? :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
At what age you consider your child as grown up ? :)

I've never met a grown up, have you?

I suspect the world has so many unhappy people, because most of us still keep our childish needs deep down; the need for recognition for a job well done, the need to be entertained, the need to be comforted when we've done something the resulted in pain, and the occasional need to throw a tantrum, and then be lead to a quiet place until we're done. The happiest adults(and children) seem to have many of these needs met, at least most of the time.

I'm not very good with cars. In my younger years, there would be a crash, bang, or light on somewhere that shouldn't be, and i didn't realize it was a problem. I didn't have enough collective knowledge about cars to know it was abnormal. If I ignore those things today, I'm being stupid. I know its abnormal, but I'm ignoring it because it inconveniences me.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No. not been watching grass and fence all life. But, I ever haven't heard anybody doing such a stupidity, have you ?
That's hardly a good way of determining something though is it - doesn't exist unless at least one person has experienced something. People do the most stupid things - I do know that - but I doubt I have seen or heard of even a fraction of what is possible.

chinu

chinu
When my daughter was 8 years she wanted to have ear piercings, which were popular at the time.
I also had 6 ear piercings, so that may have influenced her.
I did not regard that she had enough years life experience to make such a decision, so I said to her "Ask me again when you are 12 and you may do it if you wish".

So one could say I did not regard as grown up enough to make such a decision.

(Incidentally, I reminded her of her question when she was 12, she just laughed and called me palio-hippy)
But, this is age factor. :)

chinu

chinu
What is your point? or
where are you attempting to lead this thread?
I don't think there's any difference between innocent and stupid. All are innocent, I think. Even the one who isn't agree with me upon this issue is innocent. That's what where this thread leads to -- at the end, I think.

Jedster

I don't think there's any difference between innocent and stupid. All are innocent, I think. Even the one who isn't agree with me upon this issue is innocent. That's what where this thread leads to -- at the end, I think.

Thanks for your reply.
I have contributed all I can in this thread so retire.

MNoBody

while my knowledge of the Bollywood genre has been limited, this film I rate as the best I have seen in genre.
also, applicable to the topic as the character PK is the classic drunken type, but he is anything but...... the film is better than most hollywood produces as far as content. [chinu, you could start a thread on this movie...after you see it]
31127ef5e419580e674adf94811aa89c.jpg
aamir.jpg

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
One example of stupid was me believing I could let it leak out I was bi and still be accepted in a religious group.

Dear KAT-KAT

I read this bit and must pause. For it’s a good example of what we so often do to ourselves: (mis)take another’s ”stupidity” (I’d rather call it ignorance, personally) for our own and allow it to rob us from innocence.

Innocence, not stupidity, led you to trust that you could come out to your people; the fact that they chose to judge and cast you out for this, says nothing about you and everything about them.

To claim that it was stupid of you to trust your people, is not only to take responsibility for their actions, but it will mistakenly lead you to believe that you should abandon your innocence and replace it with mistrust. What way is that to live...?

Living in innocence is believing in others as well as in oneself. It is knowing that yes, sometimes you will be betrayed (we may teach our ego to be okay with being wrong, for it will be - often - even if we were to live in complete mistrust of everyone) but that must always be on your betrayer and does not take away your absolute right to continue to live in innocence.

Put the burden of “stupidity” back on the shoulders of those who act from it: those who think themselves holy enough to judge and cast out another.

And you KAT-KAT, you just keep trusting and living in your truth and innocence.

8E94D69C-422D-4AF8-A3D7-45C95256D161.jpeg