• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immigration thread-Time to tell the truth

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, his greatest achievement is pulling US out of the Great Recession.
Which I can't help but point out,
was caused by the same policies that Trump is planning to bring back.
"Promise whatever you have to before the election, then cut taxes on the investment class."
Makes no difference how much else you fail to accomplish, just make the USA safe for rich people.

Then the rich will trickle down on the voters.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, his greatest achievement is pulling US out of the Great Recession.
Except that he didn't do it.
He even instituted policies which prolonged it, which explains why it was so grindingly slow.
- No assistance for troubled homeowners (because his programs excluded
those with less than perfect payment histories) until late into his 2nd term.
- No loan renegotiation allowed between homeowners & Fannie Mae &
Freddy Mac (the world's largest residential lenders)
- Forcing some private lenders (eg, RBS, Citizens, Standard Federal) to foreclose
upon troubled properties in lieu of renegotiation to salvage the receivable.
- Requiring borrowers to pay income tax on forgiven principal & interest,
thereby making renegotiation financially impossible for many borrowers.
Note: When refinancing a loan with this taxable event, banks require that
the borrower have sufficient cash on hand to cover the future tax liability.
I managed this, but most troubled borrowers couldn't.

Even if we put a shaved weasel in the Oval Office, we'd eventually recover
from a recession. But Obama was dangerously ignorant of real estate,
lending, borrowing, & taxation.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which I can't help but point out,
was caused by the same policies that Trump is planning to bring back.
I believe that you & I have already covered our differing judgements
regarding which is the lesser of 2 evils. Whether Trump is better or
worse than Obama at starting wars remains to be seen.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
That started, mainly, in 2009. When a batch of billionaires started the Tea Party and convinced a bunch of red necks to vote against their own best interests.
It was easy to do, with modern media and marketing techniques.

Heck, even Vladimir Putin is in on the game.
Tom
What do you know of rednecks?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What do you know of rednecks?
I live in southern Indiana.
Believe me, I know about rednecks.
Some of my best friends are rednecks. Proud Rednecks!

I generally prefer rednecks over flatlanders. For the same reason I prefer really biased news sources. I prefer the honesty, I can deal with the disagreements.
Tom

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I live in southern Indiana.
Believe me, I know about rednecks.
Some of my best friends are rednecks. Proud Rednecks!

I generally prefer rednecks over flatlanders. For the same reason I prefer really biased news sources. I prefer the honesty, I can deal with the disagreements.
Tom
I agree. I live with hillbillies and am proud to be accepted.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Some citizens U.S. citizens specifically don't see a difference:

There is a difference though. Refugees can be helped to stay in their home country, that they did not want to leave in the first place. Immigrants want to leave their home country to seek a better life here. It's much harder to adapt when you do not want to be a here vs being here voluntarily.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree. I live with hillbillies and am proud to be accepted.
I get along with most of them just fine myself. Also Catholics.

It helps that I am a large white male who can pay his own bar tab and doesn't hit on anybody's wife. Rednecks are usually quite practical folks.
Tom

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Upstate New York is a lot like Pennsylvania, I have been told.
Pennsylvania being "Philadelphia at one end, Pittsburgh at the other, and Alabama all in between."
Tom
Immigrants, by the way, work the farms and carnivals around here and owner/operators are glad to have legal, hard workers of any stripe.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Generally speaking, this is a good approach to deal with scurrilous accusations.
It's counter-productive to dignify them with a defense.
1) The accuser won't accept it anyway.
2) Posters don't judge one by others' mere accusations & insults.
3) Vitriolic & vapid accusations speak volumes about the accuser, so commentary is superfluous.

You use "big words" in an indirect way of addressing me, be a man and adrdress me as you're in MY THREAD and are being biased...His mentioning of the "nuffins" part is an indirect way of being insulting of how blacks talk.

"dindu nuffin
A pejorative term used to mock Blacks that commit crimes, and the excuses that's made for them. Derived from wailing family members, usually mentally unstable mothers, that claim that they "didn't do anything wrong".

You said in another thread:

Stanyon said:
After the line "we going to shoot them" I was waiting for the line " an da PO- lices won't do nuffins!

This is proof, but alas, you being in the same demographic have a bias

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Simple. I die.

That would be foolish on your part but I highly disagree with you. I think you're trying to save face because you don't want to be challenged. Most humans care about life and you do to otherwise suicide would be easy for you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You use "big words" in an indirect way of addressing me, be a man and adrdress me.....
While your posts clearly inspired my advice, I intend it to be general.
Hyperbolic personal criticism too often goes unaddressed.
We posters may advise & moderate ourselves at times.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That would be foolish on your part but I highly disagree with you. I think you're trying to save face because you don't want to be challenged. Most humans care about life and you do to otherwise suicide would be easy for you.
It must be comforting to have such certainty. I simply don't believe that a lot of people would decide to trek hundreds or even a thousand miles to knowingly break the laws of another country by slipping past their border, all while expecting the folks of that country to take me in even after I fail to make a refugee claim.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
There is a difference though. Refugees can be helped to stay in their home country, that they did not want to leave in the first place. Immigrants want to leave their home country to seek a better life here. It's much harder to adapt when you do not want to be a here vs being here voluntarily.

Question...This is a simple yes or no answer....

Have you ever been an immigrant?

If your answer is no then the latter portion which is in bold is perhaps something best left for anecdotes as opposed to a truism. All refugees cannot be helped to stay in their country, look at the large influx of Cubans in Florida. Why is it that if Cubans flee communist Cuba (who we re-established relations with) are allowed to stay but Mexicans and Central Americans cannot? Cuban refugees some which are questionable brought, crime, rape, drugs, etc. Why are Mexicans, Salvadorians, Nicaraguans, so different? Why can't we take in Palestinians, Iraqis, and people living in warn torn countries? What was the words said on the statue of liberty?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It must be comforting to have such certainty. I simply don't believe that a lot of people would decide to trek hundreds or even a thousand miles to knowingly break the laws of another country by slipping past their border, all while expecting the folks of that country to take me in even after I fail to make a refugee claim.

You'll be surprised. Considering you have never been an immigrant nor a refugee you don't know the extent of what a human will do to survive and make a better life.

italy-migrants-refugees-asylum-seekers-1.jpg