• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

idolatry

exchemist

Veteran Member
Going to the church is idolatry. Don't you have idols of Jesus, Mary and Saints there?
No. We have statues and pictures there. We also sing and play music.

These forms of art are aids to devotion. One focuses on what is represented, and thereby empties one's mind of competing thoughts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
we had two different views of what idolatry is then. mines is much different to yours. if I agree with your definition then your right but my definition is different it's based on scripture which is idolatry to you lol but I respect your reasoning forsure.

John 5:39 speaks of idolatry.

Not all meanings need to have the word idolatry in it.

King James Bible
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The Word is Christ not scripture. Christ gives eternal life not scripture. Once you replace the bible as if it were gods Word, you are idolizing.

It's the exact same thing as a christian idolizing christ. Instead of the physical christ you worship the physical bible.

That's why when you speak from god you speak from the holy spirit. Your words and his guidence. It mentions guidence of righteous through the believer here.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me

Once you stay from that and assuming the bible is what you find the passion in you miss the point. You are crucified in "christ" not the bible.

If you feel scripture bypasses resources of christ it is used as an idol. When it's considered sacred and align with god replaced as christ it's an idol.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What forms of Idolatry can Christians perform without even noticing???

Well, I think wearing or showing crucifixes with the image of dead Jesus is under suspicion of idolatry. Like all images of Jesus. Especially for those Christians who believe that Jesus is God, since it conflicts with one of the commandments,

Ciao

- viole

sealchan

if the Source of the Bible or the Author of the Bible is God can It be considered Idolatry? considering the definition I gave ?

That's exactly the problem...if you believe that the Bible, against all good evidence, is merely the words of God forced through the imperfect hand of the author to be perfect in spite of themselves, then you have put the Bible in place of God.

Now God can speak directly to us. Should not that be the emphasis of one's worship and understanding...to pray to God with the Bible as a guide but not one superior to God Himself?

Some people speak as if they have no personal opinion but only consider what the Bible says as truth. These people always strike me as mindless robots because one could program AI to do the same. There is little to no understanding of how that individual's own, personal understanding and experience participates in their faith. That, to me, is idolatry.

sealchan

Well there you go. It is an ancient and very useful practice, clearly.

Yes, it is just like sci-fi and fantasy fans who collect action figures or other toys so that they can be put back into mind of the experience that the movie gave them. Excessive (materialistic) collection thereof would constitute a form of idolatry. Better would be to watch the movie again or to study on how that movie inspired you, study why it was so meaningful and important and seek to find ways of producing that meaning for yourself.

But anytime a person allows an interaction with a physical object to systematically substitute for a personal experience of spiritual truth, to substitute for the challenge of knowing yourself more deeply and growing mentally and emotionally, that is a form of idolatry.

Religion in practice contains and protects sheep. Religion is designed however to train up shepherds.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Worshipping their interpretations of the Bible as the word of God. Worshipping and clinging to their beliefs no matter what and calling that faith, rather than listening to the Spirit of God with an opened heart and mind. Viewing God as their sugar daddy for answered prayers to benefit themselves. And the list goes on. All of these and more masquerade as faith, whereas it is self-worship.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, it is just like sci-fi and fantasy fans who collect action figures or other toys so that they can be put back into mind of the experience that the movie gave them. Excessive (materialistic) collection thereof would constitute a form of idolatry. Better would be to watch the movie again or to study on how that movie inspired you, study why it was so meaningful and important and seek to find ways of producing that meaning for yourself.

But anytime a person allows an interaction with a physical object to systematically substitute for a personal experience of spiritual truth, to substitute for the challenge of knowing yourself more deeply and growing mentally and emotionally, that is a form of idolatry.

Religion in practice contains and protects sheep. Religion is designed however to train up shepherds.
In theory, that makes sense. The practical problem for most sheep, however, is that they struggle to attain that personal experience of spiritual truth on a regular basis. This is where a scaffolding of practice and ritual comes in, to help keep the sheep faithful and give them more chances of those moments than they would have without these props.
For we like sheep, have gone astray:

Later footnote: I'd forgotten how moving the change of mood at the end is. An aid to devotion? Or idolatry?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I view going to church to listen to sermons from one or two paid ministers as idolatrous and not just the paid ones. That minister is required to pretend to be more spiritual, and the people tend to think that listening to sermons is a spiritual practice when it is barely so if at all. I also consider worship leaders to be idols, because people consider them to be spiritual leaders.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Penguin has the right idea (#32). Consecrating a symbol or an idea is a sort of idolatry.

If you sanctify a particular country, if a national anthem makes your heart swell -- you might be an idolator.
If you become incensed when someone disrespects, or appears to disrespect, a symbol of a country, like a flag -- you might be an idolator.
Galatians, 3:28. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

If you idolize a 'celebrity' -- you might be an idolator.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Interesting question.

I've always thought the idea that anyone would actually worship an object particularly ridiculous. For example in the golden calf episode, the point was surely that the people were worshipping another god, represented by the statue of the calf that they had made. They were not worshipping the man-made object they had themselves made - that would be too silly for words.

So the use of statues, pictures or music as an aid to devotion is clearly not idolatry. Those Puritans who smashed the stained glass in mediaeval cathedrals were thoughtless idiots.

I suppose it becomes possible to worship another human being, if one is in the throes of infatuation, for example, or under the influence of brainwashing in the personality cult of a totalitarian regime. Some people say that money can be worshipped. I'm doubtful about this. People can get greedily preoccupied with money of course, but I don't think that qualifies as worship.

My initial thoughts, anyway.

your absolutely right in today culture Celebrity is worship as a God unknowingly to many.People will follow there every move try to look and emulate them. anything that places more importance on said idol over god. Money is The most popular god today in my opinion. They will sacrifice everything for money time,family,Love and so on. Can you explain further your point on money?