• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

idolatry

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
The Penguin has the right idea (#32). Consecrating a symbol or an idea is a sort of idolatry.

If you sanctify a particular country, if a national anthem makes your heart swell -- you might be an idolator.
If you become incensed when someone disrespects, or appears to disrespect, a symbol of a country, like a flag -- you might be an idolator.

If you idolize a 'celebrity' -- you might be an idolator.
absolutely your spot on right.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Well, I think wearing or showing crucifixes with the image of dead Jesus is under suspicion of idolatry. Like all images of Jesus. Especially for those Christians who believe that Jesus is God, since it conflicts with one of the commandments,

Ciao

- viole
I completely agree and it's a crafty forum of idolatry because satan has taught and convinced ppl to worship jesus murder weapon. if your grandmom was kill by an axe murder you would by a axe chain and wear it as a symbol of remembrance. its sick and twisted

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
I view going to church to listen to sermons from one or two paid ministers as idolatrous and not just the paid ones. That minister is required to pretend to be more spiritual, and the people tend to think that listening to sermons is a spiritual practice when it is barely so if at all. I also consider worship leaders to be idols, because people consider them to be spiritual leaders.
I completely agree there a difference between respecting on teaching of Gods word and idolizing them for it

exchemist

Veteran Member
your absolutely right in today culture Celebrity is worship as a God unknowingly to many.People will follow there every move try to look and emulate them. anything that places more importance on said idol over god. Money is The most popular god today in my opinion. They will sacrifice everything for money time,family,Love and so on. Can you explain further your point on money?
I suppose it comes down to what one means by worship. I find it hard to think people give the sort of honour and respect to an inanimate thing like money that one might give to God. But maybe I'm wrong. As they say in Yorkshire, There's nowt so queer as folk.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Idols, idols everywhere...symbols of the mysterious transparencies of hidden supremicies..
All of these idols represent the fear of what is behind the power of unseen megapowers.
Get rid of the fear, and then you can get rid of the god's control over one's obsessions.
The Earth offers fantastic rewards in the stuff that it gives to us, no gods needed.
NuffStuff

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Idols, idols everywhere...symbols of the mysterious transparencies of hidden supremicies..
All of these idols represent the fear of what is behind the power of unseen megapowers.
Get rid of the fear, and then you can get rid of the god's control over one's obsessions.
The Earth offers fantastic rewards in the stuff that it gives to us, no gods needed.
NuffStuff
I thought you were going to write a poem there!

Idols, idols everywhere and all the glass did clink,
Idols, idols everywhere, nor any libation to drink!

Last edited:

PruePhillip

Idolizing the Bible seems to me to be largely an Evangelical and fundamentalist disease. It occurs when the Bible -- or an interpretation of it -- means more to people than their god itself. Such as when someone insists that Genesis must be taken literally and cannot be legitimately interpreted metaphorically. To put it in Christian terms, it's making the law more important than the spirit of the law.

The "argument" is disingenuous.
Loving the bible is loving God because it is considered the book of God.
As for Genesis, I presume you mean the creation account?

God first made the heavens
then the earth
and the early earth was dark and oceanic
and then the granite continents rose
and the atmosphere cleared
and life emerged, first on land (in fresh water) and then the seas brought forth life.
and finally, man.

As for The Flood.
The term "earth" or "world" meant differing things to each generation, just as the
term "universe" has shifted in the past 20 years. In Genesis time the world was
the tiny population of the Middle East, later the earth was the empire of the Babylonians
and later still the earth was the Roman Empire (even though other empires were known)