• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

idolatry

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think most atheists are simply waiting for empirical evidence. We don't believe for the same reason you don't believe in unicorns.

Milton Platt

I appreciate that bro may I ask what made you an Atheist?

A good education, a lay understanding of the results scientific enquiry, the stories collected in the Bible, historical behavior of those that follow religions, logic...........

But it must be remembered that babies are not born worshiping a deity. They must be indoctrinated.
My family was non-religious, as well, or at least didn’t participate, so I could grow up unaffected and search without preconcieved concepts about gods.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
A good education, a lay understanding of the results scientific enquiry, the stories collected in the Bible, historical behavior of those that follow religions, logic...........

But it must be remembered that babies are not born worshiping a deity. They must be indoctrinated.
My family was non-religious, as well, or at least didn’t participate, so I could grow up unaffected and search without preconcieved concepts about gods.

ok I appreciate your honest answer bro

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Not even sure how to respond to this. It would seem that your response would make the Bible totally subjective, if not irrelevant at best.
Not really....the Bible explains itself, so you would have to look at context. An easy example: if I say “Earth”, what would you think of? The planet, right? And many times in the Scriptures, it means just that, the planet. Now read Genesis 11:1. Is it the planet spoken of here, or is it the people on it?

So earth can be symbolic of people.

Context is very important!

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Not really....the Bible explains itself, so you would have to look at context. An easy example: if I say “Earth”, what would you think of? The planet, right? And many times in the Scriptures, it means just that, the planet. Now read Genesis 11:1. Is it the planet spoken of here, or is it the people on it?

So earth can be symbolic of people.

Context is very important!
Context is Everything unfortunately no matter how intelligent a person my be doesn't excuse laziness when looking for proper context

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
absolutely your spot on right.
Hmm.

But it's good ─ encouraging, uplifting ─ to have heroes, people you'd like to be like (when you're young), people you've always admired (when you're older). How does that differ from youthfully going nuts and filling up with adrenalin because your hero's a pop star?

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
How can a bible give false teaching?
If the bible isn't an absolute truth then who has the absolute truth to challenge it?

the bible doesn't teach false teachings, the men who manipulate it based on lack of context or willfully using it to their power or gain teach false Teachings. For example I can use fire to either light up a room so I can see or I can burn down my house

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How can a bible give false teaching?
If the bible isn't an absolute truth then who has the absolute truth to challenge it?

Truth : that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

Some parts of the bible can be identified as fact or really happening. But not all.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing

Some parts of the bible can be identified as fact or really happening. But not all.
well let me give an example of a false teaching that an Atheist I know made him not believe in God. he was taught its God will that evil things like rape and murder happen that God Causes things to happen that when a child dies God needs another angel. Bible truth

James 1:13

"13 When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. "

Ecclesiastes 9:11,12

"11. The swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle, nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches, nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all.12 For man does not know his time. Just as fish are caught in an evil net and birds are caught in a trap, so the sons of men are ensnared in a time of disaster, when it suddenly overtakes them.”

ChristineM

Premium Member
well let me give an example of a false teaching that an Atheist I know made him not believe in God. he was taught its God will that evil things like rape and murder happen that God Causes things to happen that when a child dies God needs another angel. Bible truth

James 1:13

"13 When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. "

Ecclesiastes 9:11,12

"11. The swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle, nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches, nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all.12 For man does not know his time. Just as fish are caught in an evil net and birds are caught in a trap, so the sons of men are ensnared in a time of disaster, when it suddenly overtakes them.”

All i can say to this is omnipotence. If one believes that an omnipotent god made the world and all it contains then that god must surely be responsible for the bad he created as well as the good.

I have often heard the argument that god created all but humans cause childhood leukemia etc. That argument nullifies omnipotence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
the bible doesn't teach false teachings, the men who manipulate it based on lack of context or willfully using it to their power or gain teach false Teachings. For example I can use fire to either light up a room so I can see or I can burn down my house
Neither of those are “false” uses of fire. Fire really does both of those things.

It would be perfectly valid for someone to say that you should be careful using fire to light up a room because by doing that, you stand a real risk of burning down your house.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
Neither of those are “false” uses of fire. Fire really does both of those things.

It would be perfectly valid for someone to say that you should be careful using fire to light up a room because by doing that, you stand a real risk of burning down your house.
I appreciate that correction but I'm making the point that a false teaching can have terrible effects on a human hence the atheist losing faith just like a fire can have terrible results if misused. If you teach Bible truths The atheist May obtain and uphold his faith just like using fire in a good way can have good use. I appreciate it logic and I'll be more careful when using that example so I appreciate it

ChristineM

Premium Member
The atheist May obtain and uphold his faith

Atheism is not a faith, like not collecting stamps is not a hobby.

Atheist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

No faith is required to lack belief.

In that respect and assuming you are monotheist then you are almost as atheist as me. Of the thousands of gods you disbelieve or lack belief in all but one.

LiveByFaithNotSight

The Art Of Conversing
All i can say to this is omnipotence. If one believes that an omnipotent god made the world and all it contains then that god must surely be responsible for the bad he created as well as the good.

I have often heard the argument that god created all but humans cause childhood leukemia etc. That argument nullifies omnipotence.
explain further please I don't understand

PruePhillip

Certainly, some parts are symbolic, some are poetry, some is wisdom literature, some is lamentation etc..
If you can't accept an absolute Truth then you are free to believe Derrida et al who hold there's no truth
in anything - it's all just matter of opinion. I wonder where that's going to lead us.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Certainly, some parts are symbolic, some are poetry, some is wisdom literature, some is lamentation etc..
If you can't accept an absolute Truth then you are free to believe Derrida et al who hold there's no truth
in anything - it's all just matter of opinion. I wonder where that's going to lead us.

Truth is not opinion but fact or reality

I am quite happy accepting factual events, observable or measurable reality as truth. Im not comfortable with the idea of bible is truth because the bible says so without proof.