• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't think we should hide the woman.

DNB

Christian
Honestly if men tries to hide a woman in a burka or in some other ways, then it is not the woman that is the problem. It is the men. If a man can not control his lust without hiding away the females. The veil isn't in the clothes it is in the mind.

Oh boy am I gonna be put in place for saying this :)
As much as this is true, people have to take responsibility for the message that they send to the public. Dressing sexy implies sex, and doing so elicits such thoughts within those exposed to your attire. No one has the right to do anything more than look, but do not be surprised if you receive unexpected reactions from those around you. Prostitutes and strippers dress in a certain manner in order to allure men for illicit engagements. When the clothes that you are wearing resemble those in such professions, don't be alarmed if men feel that they have license, in one manner or another, to express their desires to you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As much as this is true, people have to take responsibility for the message that they send to the public. Dressing sexy implies sex, and doing so elicits such thoughts within those exposed to your attire. No one has the right to do anything more than look, but do not be surprised if you receive unexpected reactions from those around you. Prostitutes and strippers dress in a certain manner in order to allure men for illicit engagements. When the clothes that you are wearing resemble those in such professions, don't be alarmed if men feel that they have license, in one manner or another, to express their desires to you.
I believe in dressing in modesty :) but not to hide away a person so much that they become persona none grata, but like other have said, if a woman want to cover by her free will, then they should be allowed to do so. But not because a man tell them to.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I suspect the color of the garment comes into play here.

Which confuses the mess out of me that so many women wear black burqas. I've heard it said that they risk see-through with white, but if you buy quality material, this isn't a problem.
Black is the colour that radiates the most heat - unless you are exposed to direct sunlight, then black is the colour being most irradiated. The trick is to keep mostly to the shadows.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Honestly if men tries to hide a woman in a burka or in some other ways, then it is not the woman that is the problem. It is the men. If a man can not control his lust without hiding away the females. The veil isn't in the clothes it is in the mind.

Oh boy am I gonna be put in place for saying this :)

I agree that this hiding of women is absurd. Unless there is some kind of invasion of a raping type of force or some thing like that which is absolutely unlikely today. Maybe some specific circumstances exist around the world, but as an overall picture, what you say is true.

But this mens lust factor. I think there is much more to it. There has been studies done on this but in terms of why men rape. Clinical studies. I believe these studies provide an indication of this "male" factor. I just wish to say here that there is more to it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lust isn't the problem. (Even women have it.)
It's religion imposing restrictions based upon a dysfunctional morality.
(I'm being diplomatic with "dysfunctional".)
Woe unto those who cannot appreciate lust.

But in general women are not predatory or blame the men for their lust. And religion knows this

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Black is the colour that radiates the most heat - unless you are exposed to direct sunlight, then black is the colour being most irradiated. The trick is to keep mostly to the shadows.
It doesn't radiate, it absorbs. I've heard that if you're wearing all black clothes and you're caught in a nuclear blast, you're more likely to die.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

A person has the right to dress as they wish without being harrassed for it. As soon as someone else begins harrassing that person, the harrasser is at fault not the harrassed.

HonestJoe

I would like to wear a burqa sometimes, but feel that to do so would be culturally appropriating.
The veil might cause you some issues (though, ironically, more because people would assume you were Muslim) but I don't see what's stopping you wearing a head-scarf and a long loose dress with whatever you want underneath. It's not as if this general style of dress is unique to the Middle East after all.

SA Huguenot

I fully agree.

However, I believe that if a woman chooses to wear something, like a burka or hijab, we should also respect that. That is her business, and no one elses.
Not if she gets brainwashed from birth, and peer pressured by family and religious despots.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But in general women are not predatory or blame the men for their lust. And religion knows this
Women aren't predatory?
Hah!
Old saying....
Man pursues woman until she catches him.

But back to the meat of the issue, the problem isn't
lust, but a religion that wrongfully tries to suppress
it in both men & women. And then has the ridiculous
notion that covering up women solves the problem.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Women aren't predatory?
Hah!
Old saying....
Man pursues woman until she catches him.

But back to the meat of the issue, the problem isn't
lust, but a religion that wrongfully tries to suppress
it in both men & women. And then has the ridiculous
notion that covering up women solves the problem.

Yeah, that one I agree with sort off, but I would claim culture in general.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The culture would improve without the
religious prescriptions & proscriptions.

Yeah, but remove religion in China and nothing would change. Religion is not outside culture. It is a form of culture and not the only overall category that have prescriptions & proscriptions.