• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't think we should hide the woman.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You must know meek women.
But those Frenchmen....
R.4ed4f3a5123709c20bb2739598d9784b

Do you see Islam as at all related to this problem?

So perhaps Islam is a source of such oppression, eh.

P.s. no skunks in france, its just another Americanism to please american sensibilities

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
You brought islam into it.

No islam isn't the source although it does plenty to continue the the tradition. Christianity to can put the spoke in the works
Complete covering up of women is not in modern western history. But I have a rope let's string em all up! You think Pepe is a knock on the French? PePe is male is the point.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Complete covering up of women is not in modern western history. But I have a rope let's string em all up!

I have studied art and thus visited many churches throughout Europe. Bare arms and head are a no,no and skirts should be below the knee in many churches

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You brought islam into it.

No islam isn't the source although it does plenty to continue the the tradition. Christianity to can put the spoke in the works
Covering women from head to toe, hiding them
under a formless cloth sack....this happens in
Islamic theocracies. Where else?
You'll find a correlation with Islam.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Woah there, who is talking government?

Here is a wikipedia page on the very subject
Modesty - Wikipedia
Look at the correlation between Islamic governments
& requiring that women be in shapeless packaging.
You'll see that Islam is the driving factor in this.

I detect blaming men rather than Islam for this
oppressive modesty obsession. Is this so?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Honestly if men tries to hide a woman in a burka or in some other ways, then it is not the woman that is the problem. It is the men. If a man can not control his lust without hiding away the females. The veil isn't in the clothes it is in the mind.

Oh boy am I gonna be put in place for saying this :)

I think both are part of the problem. Takes two to tango.

A Vestigial Mote

I say they're as predatory as men.
Only the techniques differ.
I don't know... I'd say the bigger difference is what one or the other is after. From experience, there are far fewer women who are mostly after sex when they "prey" on men. More often they are looking to satisfy desires for other attentions... sex just happens to be one "technique" they know they can easily employ to try and further a given relationship toward their actual goals/desires. In other words... they know men are absolute suckers for sex and they can use this to their advantage to (potentially) snag other relationship-related benefits in the process.

When was the last time you saw (or even heard of) a man using sex as a vehicle to gain emotional benefits from a relationship with a woman? Not saying it hasn't happened - just pointing out that the stereotype is so heavily weighted in one direction on that one for very obvious and real reasons. Offering sex, or being the object of desire for money is a different issue, but I would still argue that the men who do this are with women who aren't after just the sex, but are also looking for the emotional benefits as well (even if that just be prestige of having a sexually desirable mate, or a feeling of "being desirable"). Men tend not to care about those things as much or as often - if sex is in the offering, that's "good enough" many times.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think both are part of the problem. Takes two to tango.
If a woman want to cover their hair that is their choice. As a man i do not tell a woman what she HAVE to do because it would please me, or hide her because I could not stop my lust ( that is by the way no problem for me to do)

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member

I blame more the male Muslim but some females also promote covering the female body completely with clothing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I blame more the male but some females also promote covering the female body completely with clothing.
Men & women are diverse.
Some want women fully covered.
But many more don't.
Consider the OP...a Muslim addressing the "burka".
Are we to be so circumspect about religion & people's
feelings about it that we cannot face theocracies' traits?
Where is such oppressive covering required other than under Islam?

ChristineM

Premium Member

Women had to cover long time before Islam was even a twinkle in Mohameds eye.

And i see you never bothered with the wiki, fair enough.

Men wrote the religions, for the most part men have controlled the religions. This is not one you can blame on whatever god you favour

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Women had to cover long time before Islam was even a twinkle in Mohameds eye.
Some citations about when, where, by whom,
& with what frequency would be useful.
And i see you never bothered with the wiki, fair enough.
You didn't excerpt anything to make part of your argument.
Merely expecting me to read your link, & arrive at the same
conclusion doesn't work.
Men wrote the religions, for the most part men have controlled the religions. This is not one you can blame on whatever god you favour
A very few men wrote the religion.
But Islam is adopted by many many millions of men & women.
So blame those few medieval goatheards for the scripture
they created if you want. But the fact is that today, Islam
is very often the regime that imposes such restrictive dress.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a woman want to cover their hair that is their choice. As a man i do not tell a woman what she HAVE to do because it would please me, or hide her because I could not stop my lust ( that is by the way no problem for me to do)

Laws are meant to aid and facilitate well being for society. You do tell women what to wear, you just don't believe Islamic code to be enforced. You don't allow women to walk naked in school and public for example.

So you rather judge by ignorance what women should wear and go by popular conjecture then insights from God which are not arbitrary and can be proven for the well being for society whether Islam is true or not.