• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't think we should hide the woman.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
My view of this is rather simple. If you're going out to the club to dance the night away, it makes sense to wear "revealing" clothing. At the grocery store in the afternoon or even the morning? No. That applies to both males and females. It's more about the situation.

DNB

Christian
Honestly, I personally find it matters more what side of town you're on than what you're wearing. And I've gone out in everything from the very racy, to the dirty sweats and matted hair she was sporting.
Well, I can't imagine if one was dressed in a provocative manner, in any part of town, it would not elicit sexual glares. My cousin put it well, he said that the word 'sexy' is derived from the word 'sex'. Therefore, the intent, whether concerted or not, is to connote sex in the onlookers mind.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I can't imagine if one was dressed in a provocative manner, in any part of town, it would not elicit sexual glares. My cousin put it well, he said that the word 'sexy' is derived from the word 'sex'. Therefore, the intent, whether concerted or not, is to connote sex in the onlookers mind.

Its true. Sexy clothes can receive sexual glares. But so can yucky, not attractive clothes. I think the fault tends to lie with the one staring.

Its a lost cause, I guess.

DNB

Christian
Rapists don't choose their victims according to clothing. Dressing immodestly does not cause rape.
oh, well then i guess there's no negative ramifications to dressing like a prostitute or a promiscuous person.
Thank you for clarifying that IC.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
oh, well then i guess there's no negative ramifications to dressing like a prostitute or a promiscuous person.
Thank you for clarifying that IC.
There is no such thing as "dressing like a promiscuous person." And even if you are dressed like a hooker, in fact, even if you ARE a hooker, you still need to consent to sex, or its called rape.

DNB

Christian
Its true. Sexy clothes can receive sexual glares. But so can yucky, not attractive clothes. I think the fault tends to lie with the one staring.

Its a lost cause, I guess.
Yes, but my point is because there are malevolent people in the world, unfortunately, we all must apply discretion in everything that we do.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but my point is because there are malevolent people in the world, unfortunately, we all must apply discretion in everything that we do.

I understand your point, and I see where you're coming from. I just don't think whether or not we're leered at is entirely in our control.

I had someone tried to force himself on me once. A stranger who'd tricked me into letting him into the house(said he was a friend of a roommate). I was wearing my grubby old pajamas, had on no make up or other things to make myself pretty. Snuck up behind me while I was doing the dishes(he was supposed to wait in the living room for the roommate, who would be home momentarily). Roommate's cocker spaniel saved my ***. That wasn't my fault. And there are thousands, if not millions of other men and women who have these things happen(without the aid of a cocker spaniel) who are doing nothing to provoke attention in the least. If I'd been in a burqa, I bet that creep would have tried the same.

DNB

Christian
There is no such thing as "dressing like a promiscuous person." And even if you are dressed like a hooker, in fact, even if you ARE a hooker, you still need to consent to sex, or its called rape.
You're very pedantic IC, you have an uncanny ability of sabotaging a good point.
Women need to dress modestly, and not dress in a promiscuous, revealing, provocative, or flirtatious manner.
They need to be aware of the world that we leave in, and not be either defiant or naive to the perils of society.
Men cannot flash their money or bling, for there are people who will want to take it away from you at any cost.
Women cannot, and morally should not, dress in any manner that they deem attractive. They need not advertise their 'personal belongings' to those that they do not wish to get personal with.

I am not telling people what their rights are, I am telling them how to both protect and respect themselves.

DNB

Christian
I understand your point, and I see where you're coming from. I just don't think whether or not we're leered at is entirely in our control.

I had someone tried to force himself on me once. A stranger who'd tricked me into letting him into the house(said he was a friend of a roommate). I was wearing my grubby old pajamas, had on no make up or other things to make myself pretty. Snuck up behind me while I was doing the dishes(he was supposed to wait in the living room for the roommate, who would be home momentarily). Roommate's cocker spaniel saved my ***. That wasn't my fault. And there are thousands, if not millions of other men and women who have these things happen(without the aid of a cocker spaniel) who are doing nothing to provoke attention in the least. If I'd been in a burqa, I bet that creep would have tried the same.
Well, of course you're right JG: there are those who don't need an impetus of any sort to invade someone's rights, and the only crime on the victim's part is being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. i.e. beyond anyone's control as far as the attire goes.
But, in the plethora of cases where women were either accosted or were regarded as advertising, due to their rather revealing outfit, this was in the women's control to circumvent, and the proper attire could have prevented the undesired advances.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, of course you're right JG: there are those who don't need an impetus of any sort to invade someone's rights, and the only crime on the victim's part is being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. i.e. beyond anyone's control as far as the attire goes.
But, in the plethora of cases where women were either accosted or were regarded as advertising, due to their rather revealing outfit, this was in the women's control to circumvent, and the proper attire could have prevented the undesired advances.

It would be interesting to see a statistic on whether or not women are harassed more or less based on their clothing. However, that wouldn't be a safe one to really gather information on...

Age seems to do it, too. The young always get more unwanted commentary than the old, regardless of wear. At least around here, they seem to.

IndigoChild5559

Women need to dress modestly,
Modesty is culturally defined. In some places, modest dress means covered from head to toe. In my country, wearing a sleeveless dress is considered modest. In some cultures, modest means you are stark naked but have a particular tatoo. IMHO as long as you are keeping the modesty standards of your own culture, its cool.

DNB

Christian
Modesty is culturally defined. In some places, modest dress means covered from head to toe. In my country, wearing a sleeveless dress is considered modest. In some cultures, modest means you are stark naked but have a particular tatoo. IMHO as long as you are keeping the modesty standards of your own culture, its cool.
You're way too pedantic!
Just agree with the flippin' point: dress in a manner where it's not regarded as sexually enticing. And, if such a connotation has an ambiguity about it, then alleviate the potential for any misconstrued notions by dressing ultra-conservatively. i.e. the hedjab in principal has merit.

IndigoChild5559

You're way too pedantic!
Just agree with the flippin' point: dress in a manner where it's not regarded as sexually enticing. And, if such a connotation has an ambiguity about it, then alleviate the potential for any misconstrued notions by dressing ultra-conservatively. i.e. the hedjab in principal has merit.
Pedantic? I don't think so. I think you just don't like women with opinions.

DNB

Christian
Pedantic? I don't think so. I think you just don't like women with opinions.
Unbelievable! There you go again, somehow inexplicably missing the entire point? ...you have detected a male chauvinistic viewpoint in me, by calling you pedantic or misguided? How in the flippin' world did you make that connection?

IndigoChild5559

Unbelievable! There you go again, somehow inexplicably missing the entire point? ...you have detected a male chauvinistic viewpoint in me, by calling you pedantic or misguided? How in the flippin' world did you make that connection?
Well, certainly your decision to attack me personally rather than respond to the substance of my remarks make an impression.

DNB

Christian
Well, certainly your decision to attack me personally rather than respond to the substance of my remarks make an impression.
that's an oxymoron: 'substance' and 'my remark'
My indignation IC is derived from your constant pedantic approach when addressing one's post. You turn every issue into one of semantics, never appreciating the point, especially when it is meant to transcend specific verbiage and nomenclature.