• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don`t understand the concept of only one GOD.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I struggle to understand those who believe there is only one God. I see it as natural that there are many Gods, Buddhas, and Daos in other dimensions. Just like there are many human beings on earth.

What is your thought about this?

The concept, mystics aside, is if you look at it as a heirarchy. One person at the top and the rest to less importance going down.

President (no democracy), leader, etc.

The One position is a leader. Angels, etc are troops. Humans are citizens.

Christian god, heirarchy is creator. One creator just as one leader leads/creates. Political in nature.

Other Gods maybe like Parenthood. God and goddess.

Other Gods aren't deities in the general right but, I guess, a verb (thanks to RF member here) that we are moved within/as it by motion/service and meditation.

Think of politics. If you want a mystic definition, it depends on the god. Abrahamics define it differently if they do at all in their own words.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I struggle to understand those who believe there is only one God. I see it as natural that there are many Gods, Buddhas, and Daos in other dimensions. Just like there are many human beings on earth.

I believe in The Creator.
But I don't claim to know anything important about the Concept. Not even the most accurate number to apply. But I consistently think of and refer to God in the singular for the simplicity of the language involved.
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

One God to rule them all?
The rest are angels/demons. These others supernatural beings like Satan for example, just don't get the "God" title.
In your belief is there one main/head God? One God, the source of everything. The lesser beings others beliefs might call them gods, in Christianity, God means Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent. One being has to be more powerful than all of the rest.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I am a pantheist myself but I can understand monotheism.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I struggle to understand those who believe there is only one God. I see it as natural that there are many Gods, Buddhas, and Daos in other dimensions.

I don't see "God" as an entity. God is the name we give to the One without a second who is both immanent and transcendent, in all realms of existence and beyond all realms of existence, in the "three worlds" and also beyond the "three worlds".

GoodbyeDave

I too am puzzled by those who believe in only one god. People experience many gods — on what basis can those experiences be denied or re-interpreted? Quoting the Bible or Quran doesn't help, as there's no way to prove that they are correct.

My question is this: what attributes do you assign to the entity you refer to as god?
Gods are beings that are worthy of human worship. Their variety is such that it would be impossible to say more.

In Christianity … what we mean by one God is that there is on God who created all thing and all things were created by Him.
The trouble is that there's no evidence for that being.

SaintUriah

If there is more than one Lord, they will arrogate to each other, fight each other, and destroy everything

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If there is more than one Lord, they will arrogate to each other, fight each other, and destroy everything
Why?
Do you think gods are egoistic? in my understanding if they become egoistic they will fall down in wisdom level and end up on earth in our physical world

cataway

its very well known that men make gods of wood and stone but the true God they've not known

SaintUriah

Why?
Do you think gods are egoistic? in my understanding if they become egoistic they will fall down in wisdom level and end up on earth in our physical world
Look to those who worship the Lord in world , do they worship anyone with him?
Whatever their Lord was stone or any thing
I did not understand whether you want the Lord to make another Lord?
What is the wisdom of that
As if you were saying to a king, give this person half of your kingdom, and make him king

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Look to those who worship the Lord in world , do they worship anyone with him?
Whatever their Lord was stone or any thing
I did not understand whether you want the Lord to make another Lord?
What is the wisdom of that
As if you were saying to a king, give this person half of your kingdom, and make him king
No, this is not what I say, but the different gods, buddhas and so forth are at different levels of wisdom, and they don't fight against each other but work together to make the truth correct at every level of wisdom, I believe we humans are making it to difficult to understand the truth. we do see clearly

Terry Sampson

If your god has omni’s associated with it, then that precludes multiple gods.
How so? For that to be the case, wouldn't you also have to take the step of "only things that are omni- are worthy of the title god?"
???
  • The following list of God's/gods' attributes is one of many that can be found on-line today. Feel free to amend the list if you know of or come across more, or consolidate those attributes which you are convinced are sufficiently similar..
    • Eternal
    • Good
    • Charitable
    • Merciful
    • Holy
    • Immanent
    • Immutable
    • Just
    • Loving
    • Self-existent
    • Sovereign
    • Transcendent
    • Righteous
    • Omnipotent
    • Omniscient
    • Omnipresent
  • IMO, a good number of those attributes are not mutually exclusive: e.g.
    • Some entity could be eternal, transcendent, and sovereign;
    • Some entity could be holy, merciful, and righteous;
    • Some entity could be self-existent, omnipotent, and omniscient;
    • etc.
  • It seems to me that being omnipresent puts the brakes on the number of entities that can have some other attribute and be omnipresent, no?
  • So, IMO, multiple gods could, theoretically, have any number of the attributes, ... except omnipresence. Only one Supreme God can be omnipresent, ... or am I missing something? .

SaintUriah

its very well known that men make gods of wood and stone but the true God they've not known
They know them
No, this is not what I say, but the different gods, buddhas and so forth are at different levels of wisdom, and they don't fight against each other but work together to make the truth correct at every level of wisdom, I believe we humans are making it to difficult to understand the truth. we do see clearly
Buddha was a prophet, some say that an Israeli
People invent gods of stone and dates, and if they are hungry they will eat them

But how do they know the worship?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Abrahamic scriptures are reasonably clear about One God. There may be Messengers of that One God both in this world and the next but they are not exactly the same as a Creator God who is the Supreme Being. There may be different aspects of that One God such as Shiva, Vishnu or Brahma in Hinduism.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
They know them

Buddha was a prophet, some say that an Israeli
People invent gods of stone and dates, and if they are hungry they will eat them

But how do they know the worship?
Buddha an Israeli? You do know he was from India?
Buddha is a Sanskrit word meaning enlighten being, someone who has understood the full truth to their level of enlightenment. So there are many Buddhas, the historical Buddha Sakyamuni was only one of them :)

nPeace

Veteran Member

(1 Corinthians 8:4-6)
4 Now concerning the eating of food offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one. 5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.

I think the difference between the one true God, is in these words... "from whom all things are".