• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don`t understand the concept of only one GOD.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I struggle to understand those who believe there is only one God. I see it as natural that there are many Gods, Buddhas, and Daos in other dimensions. Just like there are many human beings on earth.

What is your thought about this?

Ayjaydee

I struggle to understand those who believe there is only one God. I see it as natural that there are many Gods, Buddhas, and Daos in other dimensions. Just like there are many human beings on earth.

Dead buddhas are no longer buddhas

Jeremiah Ames

My definition of God would allow for only one.
Your definition is apparently not the same as mine.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Dead buddhas are no longer buddhas
They are still there in my understanding, but not in access for us human beings. The realms they are in are at a higher wisdom level. In Buddhism, they speak of 31 realms of existence as far as i remember. so it is not only this human realm.
or do you see it differently?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

My thoughts are that there could be one God or many. The one God is all powerful and is capable of anything. The many Gods would be different Gods having different purposes. How each concept developed over the millenniums is a rabbit hole discussion.

Also what is interesting the is variants on the many gods idea. Some are just spirits. Others play different roles. Some polytheistic believes say that there is an all powerful creator God who is separate from the other deities. And in some myths all the Gods are personifications of the attributes of one God. So it is complicated but all possibilities are possible.

Ayjaydee

They are still there in my understanding, but not in access for us human beings. The realms they are in are at a higher wisdom level. In Buddhism, they speak of 31 realms of existence as far as i remember. so it is not only this human realm.
or do you see it differently?
Far differently but it's of no real onsequence

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Some religions consider there is only one god, however that one god appears different for everyone. Lets say there are 4 billion people who believe in one god, what you have are 4 billion one gods.

That's how i see it and i am sure many monotheists will disagree.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

What you see is not what others see...nor should it be.

As I see it, people are at different points on their journey than you are. It helps some at their point in their journey to see one god, others to see many gods, and still others to see no gods.

I think once you gain an understanding of that, your struggle will end. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I still tend to go in the direction of my previous faith statement, namely that Whatever caused this universe I'll call "God" (or "Gods", as the case may be) and pretty much just leave it at that. I definitely believe there is Something, but just don't ask me to define what that Something is.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I've never heard a Taoist refer to "Daos". It is only ever, the Tao. Think of One God, like "one whole". If it's whole, that encompasses all that is. There is not multiple "all that is". All That Is, is a singular, when viewed as a whole. "Form is not different than emptiness; emptiness is not different than form." There are not multiple "emptinesses". That's what "One God" really points to.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I guess it depends on the definition. In Christianity, though we believe there is one God, we still acknowledge those who have made themselves gods.

Example: Satan is the god of this world; we can be our own gods; you can make money your god.

But, what we mean by one God is that there is on God who created all thing and all things were created by Him.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

one can consider a subset as poly, but the gods would still be one as a whole.

in judaism there is the elohim, or gods, but there is one greater than them and it is el.

in order for those individualized gods to have come into being, they all had to come from one source. this is something you should have studied in buddhism. all forms arise and fall from no-thing. it is the no thing; which has no form and has no equal. it is from this no thing that buddhas arise and it is the nirvana to which they will return as they came having no form, no attachment.

Jeremiah Ames

Off the top of my head, wouldn't the Principle of the identity of idiscernibles offer a way to argue for the existence of only one God, if by God we mean the omni-attributed God?

The Identity of Indiscernibles (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Maybe Occans razor might also be useful when thinking of a necessary omnimax deity. Why posit 2 when 1 had equal explanatory power?
Yes, that was the crux of my question.
If your god has omni’s associated with it, then that precludes multiple gods.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
in judaism there is the elohim, or gods, but there is one greater than them and it is el.

In Judaism, above/prior to El is the Aiyn Sof ( never-ending ).

For Elohim, it is better understood as "mighty-forces" of nature. Translating it as "gods" misrepresents Judaism.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You’re only saying that you believe there are many gods.
My question is this: what attributes do you assign to the entity you refer to as god?
I don't attribute anything to it, because I do not know the full truth about what God truly is. But I understand it has to be more than one being outside of our own realm. My understanding of God does not reach up to what God truly is. so for me to say I think God is this or that would be wrong. So my words do not describe God, it only reflect my understanding

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose 1 God is easier to manage.

As a polytheist, I endorse this observation. :D

Yes, that was the crux of my question.
If your god has omni’s associated with it, then that precludes multiple gods.

How so? For that to be the case, wouldn't you also have to take the step of "only things that are omni- are worthy of the title god?"