• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will religions cope after alien contact?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How do you think religions (and I'm not just talking about Judaism, Islam and Christianity, but also Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Neopaganism among others) will fare if aliens landed on earth tomorrow?

Do you think they will see the aliens as angels or devils? Or people who need converting? Will it damage some, or all religions?

How do you think they would fare if the aliens were incredibly religious beings, with their own religious scriptures and prayers and so on, as opposed to incredibly scientific and hateful of religion?

outhouse

Atheistically
having aliens land is one thing

communication on our level is all together a different subject.

If they can communicate it will open the minds of the religious so they might start learning new things.

If they share knowledge it will change the world as you know it.

Possible that there are inter steller laws against communication

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
How do you think religions (and I'm not just talking about Judaism, Islam and Christianity, but also Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Neopaganism among others) will fare if aliens landed on earth tomorrow?
I don't believe aliens exist. however any responsible government would be preparing a defence strategy if the possibility became viable. considering that the major and influential religions of the world and the civilizations which practice them have been engaged in holy war through the previous centuries.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
If we ever discover anthropomorphic aliens, I suspect our reaction will depend largely on how much technology they've been seen to have.

If they have equal or greater technology than us, resistance is by and large futile, going by the old maxim in science fiction: "Any interstellar technology doubles as a weapon."

If they have significantly less technology than us, you can probably guess what'll happen just by looking at my avatar. :D

dmgdnooc

It would depend on what they have to say.
But rest assured the welfare lines will be packed with out of work priests, reverends, monks and gurus of various denominations and persuasions.
And that's a comforting thought.

But maybe they will say that they got here by having a communal society that shared and pooled resources.
Then all hell would break loose.

Jacksnyte

Reverend

Do you think they will see the aliens as angels or devils? Or people who need converting? Will it damage some, or all religions?

How do you think they would fare if the aliens were incredibly religious beings, with their own religious scriptures and prayers and so on, as opposed to incredibly scientific and hateful of religion?

I think they will be divided on it. I think some will drop their faith altogether, and embrace whatever the aliens teach them(UFO religionists), or they will percieve them as a threat, and try to kill them out of fear. Of course there will be quite a few people in between on this as well, but I think these would probably be the two largest camps from what I have seen of human behavior.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are many examples of first contact, historically. Generally it's followed by cultural collapse.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I think a great deal would depend on how each individual church, temple, school or sect decided to interpret the conatct and whatever interactions we end up having with the other sapients.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

My religion would just evolve and adapt to the situation.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
There is the idea in Buddhism that there is life on other planets, so I don't think much would change in Buddhism. Of course, that all might depend on what the aliens have to say.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I'm thinking the culture shock involved in meeting a truly alien race would be a phenomenon wreaking havoc on more than just the mentalities of the religious.

outhouse

Atheistically
Sure. I would love to read your peer reviewed sources about the existence of intelligent aliens.

mathmatically they cannot be denied.

the universe is way to big for us to be the only life forms who have left there rock

a star for every grain of sand on every beach is the size were talking about.

If we are here, then they are there.

outhouse

Atheistically
There are many examples of first contact, historically. Generally it's followed by cultural collapse.

only with imagination.

Back then a shooting star was imagined in many ways

a meteor shower would have been a celestial battle of the gods lol

pulling non fiction out of imginative people who knew nothing is close to impossible

Archer

Why would it change anything?

TJ73

What about an orchestrated, artificial contact? You know the conspiracy theory: In an effort to establish a NWO the appearance of aliens would be projected to the masses and confirmed by major governments to rally people together in fear, desiring the protection of a world wide big brother.