• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I know that your God is The One, True God?

Standing Question

• Total voters

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
No, because your statement implies you should be hostile or unreceptive to someone just because they are an evangelical atheist and because they are "making straw man questions", whatever that means. Why?
No, I contrasted your identified "beliefs" with your questions and deduced that you were trolling.

But you are exhibiting anger. I'm not the one that's angry. You are. It's abundantly clear in your posts. How could anyone have missed that?
I never stated you were angry, and I have stated that I am not.
Apparently it is easy for you to misread anger as this is the second time you've done it in this thread. Whatever the reason, I recommend you stop as it is not helping your argument that you are not trolling.

What evidence did I "add"? I asked one question. That's it.
Accusing someone of being angry for disagreeing with you adds evidence that you are trolling or insincere with your original argument. You may note I'm being incredibly consistent here.
Didn't we already have that discussion? What did I say about other gods? Groups of gods?
No, we did not, but even allowing that your supposition is still that polytheists believe that their gods are exclusively the correct ones is still only an assumption.
If you don't mean "one true god" I recommend you stop saying those words.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Storm started in immediatley with sarcasm, so there is no way she could know if my overall motives were sincere. I would think that the motive is what should matter and one can only know that by how one carries themselves (is civil, for starters).
Actually, I wasn't immediately sarcastic. That was a response to your own behavior.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Hi all,
I'm new here and have just read up on the policies and finished my signature, etc. I hope I've done everything correctly so far.
I would like to believe in an almighty power but the problem is that in my research I've found so many gods out there. Coming from a family that has been explicitly atheist for generations, I'm starting from scratch and am looking at all religions.
I am sincerely curious to know how would I know, for instance, that your god is The One, True God?
Thank you.

It’s mostly been said already but what the hell, you can’t.

It is not possible to show a God exists at all, let alone a particular flavour of one. After all, if it was there wouldn’t be any atheists.

Some people have religious experiences that draw them towards a particular religion, or you might choose a religion whose teachings match up with your ideas of right and wrong. The Belief-O-Matic might help you out here.

Regardless, any such beliefs are ultimately a matter of personal faith.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just a quick check in to see if I've been addressed at all. Still nothing. As I expected. Carry on.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am sincerely curious to know how would I know, for instance, that your god is The One, True God?
Beats me, but I would assume that you would have to accept that I spoke with authority on the matter. How else would you know? :shrug:

Before you run too far with this, you have to understand that I do not believe in any "god", true or otherwise. Also there is also that niggling problem with truth being relative to the information at hand. That nugget has spoiled many a good narrative in the past and, no doubt, will skewer many now and in the future.

So, I guess what you are really asking is how do you figure out who is shining you on and who is speaking with authority. Your worldview holds the answer to that riddle.

Just a quick check in to see if I've been addressed at all. Still nothing. As I expected. Carry on.
Always seeking attention... *giggles*

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Yep, that's me, just call me attention whore. Now, where shall I perform my tantrum? Over there by the window or on the couch?
How about some theobromine instead? (Food of the gods!) :p

crossfire-albums-misc-picture4063-theobromine.jpg

Awoon

The Dollar is the "One True God" that America Trusts. Those words are printed on the Dollar Bill.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
"How do I know that your God is The One, True God?" <--You don't. You'll never know for sure unless you have an experience that makes you believe. Outside of that, there is no proof that God exists.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hi all,
I'm new here and have just read up on the policies and finished my signature, etc. I hope I've done everything correctly so far.
I would like to believe in an almighty power but the problem is that in my research I've found so many gods out there. Coming from a family that has been explicitly atheist for generations, I'm starting from scratch and am looking at all religions.
Thank you.

Religion and God/Gods are not dependent on each other for relevance in a person's life.

There are atheistic religions, and non-religious theists.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
How dose ''There are atheistic religions, and non-religious theists'' this work out ? Sounds like a conradiction

Excellent question. The answer requires the cessation of regarding Abrahamic religions as the microcosms of all religions.

Religion can be broadly defined as a combination of ethics, mythology, philosophy, and ritual. They must, however, work together in a certain way.

That is: ethics are there to define general behavior. Mythology is the demonstration of such ethics, oftentimes along with their origins. Ritual is the recreation of mythology on earth. Philosophy is basically the thread which ties all three together. It must be said that all these definitions are, by necessity of the matter at hand, heavily simplified.

Now, based on this broad definition of religion, the existence of God/Gods is not automatically necessary. Many forms of Buddhism, for example, are atheistic. Jainism is atheistic. (Notice, of course, that my examples come from India: this is owing to the fact that religious tolerance lasted far longer there than many other places in the world.) They are still, however, complete religions in themselves.

On the other hand, a belief in God/Gods can exist in a person who does not follow a specific religion. I, for example, had a very rudimentary form of theism as a child (though the "Gods" were "angels" and were benevolent spirits of the dead), yet there was no religion connected with this belief.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hi all,
Thank you.

Hi Kir and welcome to the forum,hope you'll enjoy it.

For me as a muslim,i believe in the proof and evidences that god and the right path to him is Islam.

i don't believe on the blind faith,i was born as a muslim but i was an atheist for long times and then i started to think about reality and to fetch for the truth which led me to islam and i am still investigating.:)

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi all,
Thank you.

Actually, I think that is a very fair question. The true God should provide evidence for his Godship. I believe Jehovah, the God of the Bible, has done so.
One line of evidence is what God has created: "What may be known about God is manifest among them, for God made it manifest to them. For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship," (Romans 1:19, 20)
Another line of evidence is his historical dealings with people. Jehovah has acted throughout mankind's history, fulfilling his purposes and overthrowing kingdoms that attacked his people. History reveals kings such as Sennacherib, the pharaohs of Egypt, the kings of Babylon mentioned in the Bible really existed.
I believe the true God foretells accurately what will come in the future. at Isaiah 43:9, Jehovah challenges the false gods of the nations to prove their godship: "Let the nations all be collected together at one place, and let national groups be gathered together. Who is there among them that can tell this? Or can they cause us to hear even the first things? Let them furnish their witnesses, that they may be declared righteous, or let them hear and say, ‘It is the truth!’”
At Isaiah 46:9,10 Jehovah exhorts: "Remember the first things of a long time ago, that I am the Divine One and there is no other God, nor anyone like me; the One telling from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done." The Bible is full of prophecies, and these prophecies came true.
Jehovah has proven superior to false gods. One example is the judgments Jehovah brought upon the false gods of Egypt by means of the ten plagues. Exodus 12:12 states: "And I must pass through the land of Egypt on this night and strike every firstborn in the land of Egypt, from man to beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I shall execute judgments. I am Jehovah. " (italics added) The Nile god Hapi, the frog god Heqt, the sun-gods Ra and Horus, and others, were each in turn humilitated by Jehovah, who demonstrated his power over them.
Jehovah communicates with mankind. The Bible claims to be "inspired of God." Written over a period of 1,500 years by 40 different secretaries, the Bible stands as a unique communication available to over 90% all earth's inhabitants in their own language. No other book about gods has anywhere near the circulation of the Bible. Despite many centuries of opposers and detractors, I think the Bible still stands as what it is, the Word of God.

Syrokal

Bouncy Dasa
Ahh that's easy...because my God is "All of them" pick mine and you get to de'facto worship everyone elses.