• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do Disagreements Affect You?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?
I ask cuz I notice some people get really abusive.
(Even I manage to offend people at times.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?
It can be frustrating yes specially if they really go after me to disprove what i believe in and they will not stop bugging me.
It does not lead to anger.
Have i been annoying to people here? yes i think i have even i do not mean to harm them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It can be frustrating yes specially if they really go after me to disprove what i believe in and they will not stop bugging me.
It does not lead to anger.
Have i been annoying to people here? yes i think i have even i do not mean to harm them.
You haven't struck me as annoying.....yet.

RF is an entertainment medium (with occasionally some educational value), I don't understand why anyone would actually get annoyed about what other people say.

David1967

Premium Member
Depends on who it's with and what it's about. If you are referring to people being abusive in discussions on online forums, I try to simply not engage people that take that low road. Note I said try. I was once told that I just wasn't a good person by someone for simply having a different POV than them. That's the problem with online discussions. It's too easy for some folks to be especially mean from the other side of a computer screen.

You? Never!!:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
RF is an entertainment medium (with occasionally some educational value), I don't understand why anyone would actually get annoyed about what other people say.
Old Revoltistanian saying (stolen from someone else)....
"The fighting is never so vicious as when the stakes are so low."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
First, there is usally confusion: I try to figure out what the other person means and whether it is just a difference of word usage.

Then, I generally ask questions while presenting my viewpoint. If they refuse to answer questions or respond, that can be frustrating. Also, if we come from *very* different philosophical backgrounds, finding a common ground for communication can be frustrating.

Sometimes, I find that the person isn't serious about their questions or answers and that can greatly increase my frustration level. I don't get angry easily, especially on an internet forum, so it usually doesn't go that far.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?

Actually, I find agreement frustrating. Someone agrees with you, there's just no where to go with that. Sometimes I'll take a position just because I know a lot of people will disagree with it.

No sense in getting angry with people you only know from online. Not much reason to get angry with people in RL either unless you have a specific purpose behind it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?
I love diversity
I love debate
I love confrontation.

I guess some people just want the others to agree with them....
Which is childish imho

It's frustrating when someone argues with obvious logical fallacies and compounds it by interspersing that with ad hominems*.

At its best, the dialectic process can produce some good discussions, but I think to get the best out of it you have to try and respect your opponent and listen properly. If your opponent isn't willing to do that, or is dishonest or uses logical fallacies a lot then I consider them to be just wasting my precious time when I could be doing something more productive.

I'm a theist but I was an atheist for many years so I don't go around trying to convert people to my current perspective. If someone is an atheist I'm absolutely fine with that. Maybe like me they'll have an experience that changes their mind. Maybe they won't. It's non of my business, and likewise unless I make the error of trying to force my beliefs onto someone else, they're no business of anyone else's. I think if more people took that line there'd be a lot less useless heated arguments about theology.

I can get briefly irritated with people but then I let it go. There's a world of deluded people out there and if I were to get angry with every one of them I'd be in a state of perpetual rage and that wouldn't do me or anyone any good. So I guess that stint in Buddhism did me good. :)

-----------------------------------------------
Meaning: "to the man" ~ someone who insults the other person on the opposite side of the debate instead of addressing the argument.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?

Disagreements don't effect me at all..... I simply hunt them down and maul them until they are more agreeable

smiling-bear.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is it frustrating?
Does this lead to anger?

Depends on the disagreement. At home with family or friends it can lead to upset follow by sullen moods or anger.

Online, much less so, i tend to ride with it, under some circumstances i will push buttons, become a devils advocate, but when the fun stops, i stop. And sometimes i will become stubborn (yes really, it can happen)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Depends on the disagreement. At home with family or friends it can lead to upset follow by sullen moods or anger.

Online, much less so, i tend to ride with it, under some circumstances i will push buttons, become a devils advocate, but when the fun stops, i stop. And sometimes i will become stubborn (yes really, it can happen)
Devil's advocate?
Playing the provocateur?
I might have to try that!

Terry Sampson

Is it frustrating? Does this lead to anger?

On-line Disagreements with others often frustrate me. Depending on the value that I place on my position and the importance to me of maintaining continuing communication with "the other person" or my ability to avoid further contact with "the provoker", anger can and does arise. My frustration frequencies, durations, and their intensities these days are substantially fewer, shorter, and lower than they used to be. In the old days, when I first engaged in on-line exchanges, I spent a lot of time being frustrated and angry. I've learned a lot about when and how to avoid, to temper, and to terminate the exchanges. I still make mistakes, but fewer of them.

The "ignore" button helps decrease "stroke evoking" exchanges substantially. Exercising self-restraint in decing which thread to weigh in on, who to respond to, and how far I can go in being abusive before a moderator is going to call me to account for my abuse enables me to make it through a day's of RF-ing with substantially less frustration and anger too.

My "ignore" list is getting longer. And there are several knuckleheads whom I've been letting slide without an abusive response, so I 'spect I'll continue to hang around here for a while. It beats arm-wrestling my wife and keeps me off the streets for the time being.