• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Try reading your own original post:
Future Hall-of-Fame quarterback and exceptional Christian, Tim Tebow is being called upon to seek the seat being vacated by retiring Ander Crenshaw, who represents Florida's 4th District.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politics/tim-tebow-congressional-bid-florida/

This is amazing news! Imagine what Mr. Tebow can accomplish!
Okay, you said "Exceptional Christian." My apologies for misquoting you. How exactly is he an EXCEPTIONAL Christian?

Who's attacking him? I'm attacking, if anything, your otherwise meaningless but very enthusiastic declaration that this is good news! He was a better than average football player on a good team, and many thought there were a couple of others who probably should have won that year. I listened to some of his broadcasts, and he was at best fair-to-middling in that capacity. Seems like a likeable fellow, but that's hardly anything, as lots of people are likeable. I had the same reaction a couple of years ago when people started talking about Charles Barkley running for office. Really? Nice guy, great basketball player! But in office? on the basis of what?

Okay, it doesn't say GOP--I misread. Are the DEMOCRATS calling upon him? Some other group? How about telling us that? Your whole attitude in the OP was that this is an exceptional individual and would make an exceptional representative, and you STILL have not provided any inkling to the rest of us why we should think so. It still doesn't sound like he is offering himself up, and the point I was making is that it is hardly newsworthy to be asked to run for office by ANYONE, as it happens with anyone with name recognition or a little experience at something. Therefore, how is being asked to consider running for office "Great News" (from the title of your thread).

Nice to see that you consider ALL politicians to be corrupt political hacks. Again, how does that make Mr. Tebow any better? What evidence do you have, besides football and religion, that he would be any good as a representative? Personal integrity? That's the sum of your declaration that he would be a great representative and would be able to do so much, AND WHAT HE WOULD DO? And how do you know he has personal integrity? Your evidence please?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As I noted earlier, he hasn't had success in the NFL, like many other great players. He has tried to break through and will keep trying; will you continue to slam his efforts, as a mean person might deride a child struggling to read?
I haven't been slamming his efforts, but speaking factually about what I've heard about it. And what people are talking about isn't his skills as a quarterback.
As for his religion, are you sure that it's not your dislike of religion affecting your dislike of Tebow? Intolerant or not, you would probably admit at least that Tebow's faith is important to him and his supporters, correct?
I couldn't care less about his faith. It's his life, not mine. But when I say that's all I've ever heard about it, I mean that I have literally heard nothing else about him except for his displays of faith.

Grumpuss

Try reading your own original post:

Okay, you said "Exceptional Christian." My apologies for misquoting you. How exactly is he an EXCEPTIONAL Christian?

Who's attacking him? I'm attacking, if anything, your otherwise meaningless but very enthusiastic declaration that this is good news! He was a better than average football player on a good team, and many thought there were a couple of others who probably should have won that year. I listened to some of his broadcasts, and he was at best fair-to-middling in that capacity. Seems like a likeable fellow, but that's hardly anything, as lots of people are likeable. I had the same reaction a couple of years ago when people started talking about Charles Barkley running for office. Really? Nice guy, great basketball player! But in office? on the basis of what?

Okay, it doesn't say GOP--I misread. Are the DEMOCRATS calling upon him? Some other group? How about telling us that? Your whole attitude in the OP was that this is an exceptional individual and would make an exceptional representative, and you STILL have not provided any inkling to the rest of us why we should think so. It still doesn't sound like he is offering himself up, and the point I was making is that it is hardly newsworthy to be asked to run for office by ANYONE, as it happens with anyone with name recognition or a little experience at something. Therefore, how is being asked to consider running for office "Great News" (from the title of your thread).

Nice to see that you consider ALL politicians to be corrupt political hacks. Again, how does that make Mr. Tebow any better? What evidence do you have, besides football and religion, that he would be any good as a representative? Personal integrity? That's the sum of your declaration that he would be a great representative and would be able to do so much, AND WHAT HE WOULD DO? And how do you know he has personal integrity? Your evidence please?
Take a deep breath. Step back. Evaluate your outlook.

Consider for a moment what the source of your frustration and ennui might be. Hint: It's not me, Tim Tebow, or even religion/Christianity.

When you're more composed and can refrain from baiting & personal attacks, I will be happy to re-engage intercourse with you. Until then, I wish you well and please have a wonderful rest-of-weekend!

Grumpuss

I haven't been slamming his efforts, but speaking factually about what I've heard about it. And what people are talking about isn't his skills as a quarterback.
Oh, then it's curious that you just previously DID bring up his quarterback skills and diminished them in an attempt to make a point.

I couldn't care less about his faith. It's his life, not mine. But when I say that's all I've ever heard about it, I mean that I have literally heard nothing else about him except for his displays of faith.
Perhaps you could do some research then? He has hosted multiple nationally-syndicated radio and television shows, written a best-selling book, made numerous speeches and public appearances and has been extensively active in running large charitable organizations in multiple countries. If you are ignorant of his accomplishments other than "Tebowing", then so be it... but please don't insist the rest of the population shares your level of knowledge.

esmith

Veteran Member
I look at this way, he wouldn't be any worse that some of the idiots that got elected to Congress.
I give you Al Franken, Michael J. Myers, Charles Diggs, Charles B. Rangel,
Oh, lets not forget
Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Barack Hussein Obama :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh, then it's curious that you just previously DID bring up his quarterback skills and diminished them in an attempt to make a point.
I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible. I do not care about football, at all. I don't follow it. Everything I know about it I hear from what other people are saying, from what is on the news, and the bit I hear about it on the radio. I would shed not a single tear or feel upset in anyway if football were to completely and forever vanish today. I know Tebow was a quarterback from what people say, but I don't hear of his ultra-long passes like Favre, his ability for second-half comebacks by short-passing his way up the field like Manning, undefeated until the Superbowl Marino, the undefeated '72 Dolphins, I literally never hear anything like that about Tebow. Literally (used in the correct way), the only thing I've ever heard about him is his displays of faith.
Perhaps you could do some research then? He has hosted multiple nationally-syndicated radio and television shows, written a best-selling book, made numerous speeches and public appearances and has been extensively active in running large charitable organizations in multiple countries. If you are ignorant of his accomplishments other than "Tebowing", then so be it... but please don't insist the rest of the population shares your level of knowledge.
I never said the rest of the population shares my lack of knowledge about football. That would be a foolish statement because my enthusiasm extends no further than hoping the Colts lose, I haven't watched a game in several years, and I don't like the NFL because they deny the link between playing football and head trauma (and they viciously attack doctors who try to speak up for this), and because legions of people worship mediocre ogre-sized athletes who pile on unhealthy amounts of weight and clobber each other. Payton Manning has a children's hospital that bears his name in Indianapolis, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to learn a bunch of stuff about him, especially when I don't idolize athletes like many (if not most) Americans.

Grumpuss

I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible. I do not care about football, at all. I don't follow it. Everything I know about it I hear from what other people are saying, from what is on the news, and the bit I hear about it on the radio. I would shed not a single tear or feel upset in anyway if football were to completely and forever vanish today. I know Tebow was a quarterback from what people say, but I don't hear of his ultra-long passes like Favre, his ability for second-half comebacks by short-passing his way up the field like Manning, undefeated until the Superbowl Marino, the undefeated '72 Dolphins, I literally never hear anything like that about Tebow. Literally (used in the correct way), the only thing I've ever heard about him is his displays of faith.

I never said the rest of the population shares my lack of knowledge about football. That would be a foolish statement because my enthusiasm extends no further than hoping the Colts lose, I haven't watched a game in several years, and I don't like the NFL because they deny the link between playing football and head trauma (and they viciously attack doctors who try to speak up for this), and because legions of people worship mediocre ogre-sized athletes who pile on unhealthy amounts of weight and clobber each other. Payton Manning has a children's hospital that bears his name in Indianapolis, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way to learn a bunch of stuff about him, especially when I don't idolize athletes like many (if not most) Americans.
You appear to be a very angry person and IMO this manifests in your responses. Did you suffer some trauma in life that you feel it is possible to indirectly place blame upon Tim Tebow?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
You appear to be a very angry person and IMO this manifests in your responses. Did you suffer some trauma in life that you feel it is possible to indirectly place blame upon Tim Tebow?
I don't know, @Grumpuss ...did you suffer a trauma in life that leaves you in a condition to put a moderately talented jock who shows off his faith on a pedestal above everyone else?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I look at this way, he wouldn't be any worse that some of the idiots that got elected to Congress.
I give you Al Franken, Michael J. Myers, Charles Diggs, Charles B. Rangel,
Oh, lets not forget
Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Barack Hussein Obama :D
Wow, they're all Democrats, what a surprise!
You'd never see the GOP electing idiots

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't see where you are getting this anger out of trying to explain that I simply do not follow football, at all, and the only things I know about it are what I hear from others. It's not anger, but a fact that I have only ever heard people talk about Tebow's displays of faith. I hear a lot about many quarterbacks, the Superbowls they've won, their abilities to pick apart a defense, undefeated seasons, but I never hear any sort of things about Tebow. Never. It's not anger, but just a fact that people aren't really talking about his abilities as a quarterback.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I may step in to get a little personal.....
While we all might anger at times, there are some for whom this is their natural state towards those they disagree with.
I don't see her as one of those.
Sometimes vigorous addressing of issues is mistaken for anger.

Some symptoms of the perpetually petulant.....
- Quick to resort to personal attack in preference for the issues.
- Believe they have THE TRUTH, & that opposition to them is a moral failing of others.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It does seem to be an expression of anger to ask legitimate questions about the qualifications of someone being advanced as a great...oh wait, that wasn't the term he used...wait, what was it?...well, a candidate for US Representative...was it outstanding?:rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As a citizen of the Uk, I do not understand how a sporting celebrity is in any way qualified for a political career, though I acknowledge some minor polititians have a sporting background. Any achivements and electoral sucess they have, has come by way of other abilities, qualifications and achievements respected by everyone.

I would have thought a fervent christianity would be a serious disadvantage in the civil world of government, that must treat all citizens af every religion equally...and be seen to do so.

so far I have been shown nothing that would recommend him to any one not of his persuasion. Or that shows he has any abilities except that of promoting his celebrity.

Exceptional atheletes with other exceptional abilities and political acumen do make their way in politics, such a Lord Coe, a multiple world and Olympic champion of exceptional educational, organisational, business and political skill. But they are very much the exception.

Altfish

Veteran Member
As a citizen of the Uk, I do not understand how a sporting celebrity is in any way qualified for a political career, though I acknowledge some minor polititians have a sporting background. Any achivements and electoral sucess they have, has come by way of other abilities, qualifications and achievements respected by everyone.

I would have thought a fervent christianity would be a serious disadvantage in the civil world of government, that must treat all citizens af every religion equally...and be seen to do so.

so far I have been shown nothing that would recommend him to any one not of his persuasion. Or that shows he has any abilities except that of promoting his celebrity.

Exceptional atheletes with other exceptional abilities and political acumen do make their way in politics, such a Lord Coe, a multiple world and Olympic champion of exceptional educational, organisational, business and political skill. But they are very much the exception.
Also...
Colin Moynihan
Menzies Campbell
Christopher Chataway
Jeffrey Archer - (a very successful Oxford Blue)
David Evans
CB Fry

All Tories, I think.

esmith

Veteran Member
Wow, they're all Democrats, what a surprise!
You'd never see the GOP electing idiots
Wow, you expected me to mention others than Democrats?
Truth be known there have been some dunderheads from the Republican party. I'll even give you one.....Bill Sali, he was even from my state.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wow, you expected me to mention others than Democrats?
Truth be known there have been some dunderheads from the Republican party. I'll even give you one.....Bill Sali, he was even from my state.
Topping the list of "dunderheads" from the Republican party would be "Dubya" wouldn't it? Dear Georgie Bush has to be leader of the pack when it comes to idiots in office, from either party. That one's pretty obvious isn't it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Topping the list of "dunderheads" from the Republican party would be "Dubya" wouldn't it? Dear Georgie Bush has to be leader of the pack when it comes to idiots in office, from either party. That one's pretty obvious isn't it?
Bush Jr. or Reagan. After all, "Reaganomics" has worked so well that many Americans are going to China of all places to live the American Dream. But, then again, the Neo-Con approach of "Dubya" achieved the dubious distinction of spilling Islamic sectarian wars globally and FUBARing Iraq.

esmith

Veteran Member

Bush Jr. or Reagan. After all, "Reaganomics" has worked so well that many Americans are going to China of all places to live the American Dream. But, then again, the Neo-Con approach of "Dubya" achieved the dubious distinction of spilling Islamic sectarian wars globally and FUBARing Iraq.

Well one could suspect those opinions from those with political persuasion that have a problem handling the real world....like Bernie supporters.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No. But I don't live in Florida either. I'm glad you like the status quo of politicians.
Not quite sure what your residency has to do with anything...after all, it's YOU who suggested that he'd be a great member of Congress.

It's amazing how many assumptions you make about anyone who asks you a question or two.:rolleyes: