• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, the hate along Democrat and atheistic lined is very revealing. Interesting to note that little about a person's qualities and integrity are acknowledged, if there are political consequences or a pleasant Christian man, who has never hurt anyone, has a chance to promote his faith. Calling him a fascist seems a bit much.

Most laughable are the people feigning ignorance of his football career, or outward hostility toward those accomplishments ("he was lucky to play on a good team!")...He only won the Heisman Trophy!

I know this is a little late in the piece but I was going to wait for a response to my last questions, but they seem to have been overlooked. Very well...there has been plenty for you to respond to so I get that to a degree.

I think it's a little rich for you to be complaining about responses being along athiestic and democrat lines, or arguing that people are feigning ignorance of his football career, given that his brand of conservative Christianity is clearly part of his appeal to you. This is a man who claimed the USA needed to once again become One Nation Under God, so I would simply suggest to you that it's a polarizing attitude.

Some other things worth considering;
1) Several of the people in this thread less than over the moon are pagans...not athiests. Might be worth thinking about the role of christianity in politics from a non-christian (rather than athiest) viewpoint.

2) I am an athiest, but hadnt said anything against him. I'd consider myself wary, rather than anti.

3) It's unlikely anyone here is feigning ignorance about football. I follow the pros (Niners) and college (Fightin Irish) but have been constantly amazed by the lack of even basic understanding here (I'm Australian). There are a couple of excetions but most here are clueless, no feigning required.

El Conquistador

Ruler of Zamunda
I'll go ahead and add two things:

1) The people who know nothing about Tim Tebow but hate him because of the so called religious antics have taken what the media has given them hook, line, and sinker. Tebow was doing all those things before he became a famous football player. And guess what? He's still doing them. The only difference is the amount of media coverage.

2) It was fairly clear even to a couch potato like me that Tebow was never going to be a very good NFL quarterback. He was good in college because he was a 245 lb battering ram of a quarterback, and he also had a very good supporting cast. It was not Tebow's fault that some blithering idiot in Denver decided to draft him in the 1st round. In that regard, Tebow was doomed from the beginning, because 1st round quarterbacks are expected to start soon if not immediately. Who knows, given a chance to ride the pine and actually learn the position, he might have developed into a starter. I still doubt that, but we'll never know.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'll go ahead and add two things:

1) The people who know nothing about Tim Tebow but hate him because of the so called religious antics have taken what the media has given them hook, line, and sinker. Tebow was doing all those things before he became a famous football player. And guess what? He's still doing them. The only difference is the amount of media coverage.

2) It was fairly clear even to a couch potato like me that Tebow was never going to be a very good NFL quarterback. He was good in college because he was a 245 lb battering ram of a quarterback, and he also had a very good supporting cast. It was not Tebow's fault that some blithering idiot in Denver decided to draft him in the 1st round. In that regard, Tebow was doomed from the beginning, because 1st round quarterbacks are expected to start soon if not immediately. Who knows, given a chance to ride the pine and actually learn the position, he might have developed into a starter. I still doubt that, but we'll never know.
On point #1, there is a difference between "hating" someone and being "indifferent" or "amused" by such public grandstanding. He may be consistent, and he may be honestly displaying his beliefs...but sorry, that does not impress me much, as LOTS OF PEOPLE are true to their beliefs--and yes, I think the media has overfocused on that aspect. But it's also clear that some people see Mr. Tebow as something of a godlike figure, and it seems to be mostly because he's an outspoken Christian.

As for point #2, I agree completely. I suspect that he has gotten dropped so much because he doesn't take instruction, or a benchwarming role, particularly well.

El Conquistador

Ruler of Zamunda
On point #1, there is a difference between "hating" someone and being "indifferent" or "amused" by such public grandstanding. He may be consistent, and he may be honestly displaying his beliefs...but sorry, that does not impress me much, as LOTS OF PEOPLE are true to their beliefs--and yes, I think the media has overfocused on that aspect. But it's also clear that some people see Mr. Tebow as something of a godlike figure, and it seems to be mostly because he's an outspoken Christian.

As for point #2, I agree completely. I suspect that he has gotten dropped so much because he doesn't take instruction, or a benchwarming role, particularly well.

The comments I've read about Tebow from a great many people were not "indifferent" or "amused." If they were, then my reading comprehension ain't what it used to be.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yeah, I think far more people are more indifferent or amused than hating. I don't hate him. I don't care enough about him to hate him. I know really nothing about him past the public displays of faith. I know there are others like me as well. Those who do not follow football all that much, certainly not enough to know intricate details about a random player. So, yes, I have to ask what is so "great" about the prospect of him running for political office.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The comments I've read about Tebow from a great many people were not "indifferent" or "amused." If they were, then my reading comprehension ain't what it used to be.
Many of the comments that are characterized as "hating" are really pretty neutral about Mr. Tebow, pointing out instead that being a sports celebrity is not that big of a deal to most people, and being highly religious is not that big of a deal to most people, either. That's not hating, it's pointing out the rather lame basis for celebrity. Mr. Tebow just happens to be the example du jour.

To some other people, however, it seems that anyone being a highly religious sports figure should be highly honored--and any resistance to that effort to make someone into a god is hating. But most people just don't get it, and if they do, still think it's stupid to do so. Just as it's stupid to put actors, musicians, businesspeople, etc. on a pedestal.

Grumpuss

I know this is a little late in the piece but I was going to wait for a response to my last questions, but they seem to have been overlooked. Very well...there has been plenty for you to respond to so I get that to a degree.

I think it's a little rich for you to be complaining about responses being along athiestic and democrat lines, or arguing that people are feigning ignorance of his football career, given that his brand of conservative Christianity is clearly part of his appeal to you. This is a man who claimed the USA needed to once again become One Nation Under God, so I would simply suggest to you that it's a polarizing attitude.

Some other things worth considering;
1) Several of the people in this thread less than over the moon are pagans...not athiests. Might be worth thinking about the role of christianity in politics from a non-christian (rather than athiest) viewpoint.

2) I am an athiest, but hadnt said anything against him. I'd consider myself wary, rather than anti.

3) It's unlikely anyone here is feigning ignorance about football. I follow the pros (Niners) and college (Fightin Irish) but have been constantly amazed by the lack of even basic understanding here (I'm Australian). There are a couple of excetions but most here are clueless, no feigning required.
Sorry, I am unable to comply with your request. It's a fairly dirty tactic to ask for someone's honest opinion (especially in a thread she started) and then whine about it to moderators in an attempt to silence someone.

You should be ashamed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Great! Just what we need. Another zealot to erode the separation of Church and State and turn to the Bible for legislative guidance.