• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I never said "NFL Hall of Fame". It's well-known that Tebow wasn't a success in the NFL. That doesn't detract from his college career, or how he's conducted himself as a fine upstanding Christian or American.
You did say future hall of famer, and as I said, that's the only thing I've ever heard about him. I've never heard anything about his football achievements, just that he displays his faith in a manner that earns him his rewards for such a thing here on Earth rather than in the after-life.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I, too, have to wonder what is "great" about this news. I mean, does he have some unknown qualifications for political work that make him a good candidate? Literally, the only thing I know about him is he is a football player who makes a spectacle of his faith. That's it. Couldn't tell you really anything else about him. If making public displays of your faith is all it takes to be a good candidate for public office then street preachers are all just really good candidates to govern us. :rolleyes:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Future Hall-of-Fame quarterback and exceptional Christian, Tim Tebow is being called upon to seek the seat being vacated by retiring Ander Crenshaw, who represents Florida's 4th District.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politics/tim-tebow-congressional-bid-florida/

This is amazing news! Imagine what Mr. Tebow can accomplish!

Tim-Tebow-Blackballed-From-NFL-Due-To-Christian-Beliefs.jpg
Really? What hall of fame? He had a name because he had a very good team that was able to use his moderate quarterbacking talents. He was not very capable in the broadcast booth, either.

Exceptional Christian? Care to detail how he is exceptional as a Christian? Maybe he's gotten lots of coverage in the Christian media that would show this, but so far not in the mainstream media; just looks to me like he took advantage of his position to make it clear that he is a Christian.

What is "amazing" about that a political party is attempting to recruit someone with some celebrity status to run for office? Until he says "yes, I'll run," it's not at all newsworthy, really, because the parties are constantly after anyone with a public name to run.

What do YOU imagine he would be able to accomplish? What would be so different about him as a Representative than anyone else from that district who might run?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I sort of understand, though. To be a successful/popular conservative in the U.S., all you have to do is wave around a flag in one hand, and wave around a bible in the other. After all, this country didn't elect the likes of Bush just once, but twice. Unfortunately, our country also holds it's sports stars and pop stars in much higher esteem than it does its authors, artists, scientists, educators, intellectuals, activists, etc.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't think you read that well. I said he was an exceptional football player.

The bar is set appropriately low for what is considered "success" as a U.S. congressman. But being as Tebow has served his community so well this far, I think he has a good shot.
I certainly do agree with you about the very low bar that currently exists for Congress.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's questionable whether an idealist is likely to promote policies that will benefit the majority of citizens.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
...the hokey traditional sense of what a representative should be; usually it's a disinterested, corrupt, lawyer-type...
Uhhhh....you think that is what people think a candidate SHOULD be?:confused:o_O

I like to think that most people want their representatives to be upright, honest, interested types, with the best interests of the nation at heart in all their deliberations and actions:cool:...if someone (or most people) WANTS a "disinterested, corrupt, lawyer-type," then I think Houston, we have a problem.:eek:

Now then, if you're proposing that those are typical characteristics of current US Representatives, there may be some basis for believing that...;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What if they think/believe it will benefit the majority?

I suspect idealists usually think that. Of course, thinking their policies will benefit the majority doesn't make it true that they will benefit the majority.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I suspect idealists usually think that. Of course, thinking their policies will benefit the majority doesn't make it true that they will benefit the majority.
I agree that thinking/believing they benefit the majority has no bearing on it benefiting the majority.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Idealists usually think, based solely on presupposition, that they know what is best for everyone else.

“Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are not as they ought to be.”
Ambrose Bierce,

Grumpuss

Wow, the hate along Democrat and atheistic lined is very revealing. Interesting to note that little about a person's qualities and integrity are acknowledged, if there are political consequences or a pleasant Christian man, who has never hurt anyone, has a chance to promote his faith. Calling him a fascist seems a bit much.

Most laughable are the people feigning ignorance of his football career, or outward hostility toward those accomplishments ("he was lucky to play on a good team!")...He only won the Heisman Trophy!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Wow, the hate along Democrat and atheistic lined is very revealing. Interesting to note that little about a person's qualities and integrity are acknowledged, if there are political consequences or a pleasant Christian man, who has never hurt anyone, has a chance to promote his faith. Calling him a fascist seems a bit much.

Most laughable are the people feigning ignorance of his football career, or outward hostility toward those accomplishments ("he was lucky to play on a good team!")...He only won the Heisman Trophy!
But he wasn't good enough, despite that recognition, to make it in the NFL. He posed a novelty for a few games...then everyone figured him out...and he couldn't adjust.

To note, anyone who wins such a trophy does so because of the team they are on: the blocking, the receiving, etc. If you think he did it all by himself, then you are very mistaken about the nature of football. And, to be honest, a fair number of Heisman and other trophy winners in college have gone on to mediocre and/or very short careers in the NFL or Canadian football. College football is different than the NFL.

By the way, some people truly do not care for nor follow football, or any given sport, or all sports. And quite frankly, about the ONLY "news" about him has been football and his putting his religion on his sleeve, so to speak. So, outside of football, few Americans have even heard of him, or know anything about him.

So, if you will note, I did ask you to enlighten me (and everyone else) about 1) which hall of fame he'll be in, 2) what makes HIS Christianity so amazing, 3) what is so amazing about the political party asking him if he would be a candidate, 4) what you imagine him doing as a Representative, 5) what would make him so different than any other candidates who might run, and 6) do you really think most people want corrupt, self-interested representatives, or is that just what we've got?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not feigning ignorance when you just don't give a damn about football and the only thing you ever hear about him is that he gets passed around from team-to-team and he makes a huge spectacle of his religion.

Draka

Wonder Woman

Hmm, not a Democrat, not an atheist, didn't call him a fascist, and I do not follow the careers of overpaid jocks. Can hardly call that ignorant, as if everyone should know about him and his career. :rolleyes:

You made this thread. You said it was "great news". You never said why it was supposedly "great news". You still haven't. When the most people know about a man is he plays a particular sport, maybe well, maybe not, and that he makes a spectacle of his faith publicly, can you honestly blame people for wanting to know just why this is "great news"? Why is a most likely mediocre publicly Christian football player possibly running for Congress "great news"? You claimed it. Please explain it.

Grumpuss

But he wasn't good enough, despite that recognition, to make it in the NFL. He posed a novelty for a few games...then everyone figured him out...and he couldn't adjust.

To note, anyone who wins such a trophy does so because of the team they are on: the blocking, the receiving, etc. If you think he did it all by himself, then you are very mistaken about the nature of football. And, to be honest, a fair number of Heisman and other trophy winners in college have gone on to mediocre and/or very short careers in the NFL or Canadian football. College football is different than the NFL.

By the way, some people truly do not care for nor follow football, or any given sport, or all sports. And quite frankly, about the ONLY "news" about him has been football and his putting his religion on his sleeve, so to speak. So, outside of football, few Americans have even heard of him, or know anything about him.

So, if you will note, I did ask you to enlighten me (and everyone else) about 1) which hall of fame he'll be in, 2) what makes HIS Christianity so amazing, 3) what is so amazing about the political party asking him if he would be a candidate, 4) what you imagine him doing as a Representative, 5) what would make him so different than any other candidates who might run, and 6) do you really think most people want corrupt, self-interested representatives, or is that just what we've got?
You are aware that football exists outside of the NFL, right?

To answer your awful questions:

1. The College Football Hall of Fame.
http://www.collegefootball.org

2. I don't recall ever saying that Tebow's religion is "amazing", though it is commendable how his faith and upbringing have shaped him as an individual, especially given how people such as yourself who seemingly know nothing about him, relish in engaging in attacking him.

3. Again, a strawman. I never said any political party was "amazing", and it's not even decided what party affiliation he would run with. I'm a fan of no political party, so it would appear at least some of your disdain for Tebow is due to political vitriol. For shame!

4. Serving with personal integrity, which is more than I can say for existing Republican and Democrats, particularly those that characterize Florida politicians.

5. See #4.

6. I think most are simply a product of a corrupt system.

Grumpuss

It's not feigning ignorance when you just don't give a damn about football and the only thing you ever hear about him is that he gets passed around from team-to-team and he makes a huge spectacle of his religion.
Still no need to diminish his accomplishments. I can guarantee that Wayne Gretzky doesn't care one iota about your given field or profession, but that doesn't diminish you or your profession, does it? Please try to be fair.

As I noted earlier, he hasn't had success in the NFL, like many other great players. He has tried to break through and will keep trying; will you continue to slam his efforts, as a mean person might deride a child struggling to read?

As for his religion, are you sure that it's not your dislike of religion affecting your dislike of Tebow? Intolerant or not, you would probably admit at least that Tebow's faith is important to him and his supporters, correct?