• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grumpuss

I don't see where you are getting this anger out of trying to explain that I simply do not follow football, at all, and the only things I know about it are what I hear from others. It's not anger, but a fact that I have only ever heard people talk about Tebow's displays of faith. I hear a lot about many quarterbacks, the Superbowls they've won, their abilities to pick apart a defense, undefeated seasons, but I never hear any sort of things about Tebow. Never. It's not anger, but just a fact that people aren't really talking about his abilities as a quarterback.
Yet clearly that isn't the case, as I've listed the many ways in which he is a notable public figure.

Oddly you continue to assert that since you (you personally) don't know much about his career outside his brief NFL stint and "Tebowing", nothing else matters. It sounds fairly ludicrous; like saying Rick Fox or Heath Shuler or Ivan Lendl don't exist outside of the tidbit of sports trivia that only the base 99% know about.

Grumpuss

If I may step in to get a little personal.....
While we all might anger at times, there are some for whom this is their natural state towards those they disagree with.
I don't see her as one of those.
Sometimes vigorous addressing of issues is mistaken for anger.

Some symptoms of the perpetually petulant.....
- Quick to resort to personal attack in preference for the issues.
- Believe they have THE TRUTH, & that opposition to them is a moral failing of others.

It does seem to be an expression of anger to ask legitimate questions about the qualifications of someone being advanced as a great...oh wait, that wasn't the term he used...wait, what was it?...well, a candidate for US Representative...was it outstanding?:rolleyes:
...except I listed Tebow's other accomplishments and its met with stony-faced denial and just more anger. Quite irrational, really.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oddly you continue to assert that since you (you personally) don't know much about his career outside his brief NFL stint and "Tebowing", nothing else matters.
I'm not saying nothing else matters, for example:
like saying Rick Fox or Heath Shuler or Ivan Lendl don't exist outside of the tidbit of sports trivia that only the base 99% know about.
I have absolutely no idea who any of those people are. How can it be expected for someone who doesn't follow or care about football to know of things a football player has done, especially when they aren't widely discussed? I imagine it would be on par with my discussing the public works of people like John Cena, Mick Foley, Ted Dibiase, or James Janos and expecting you to know who these people are, what they have done, and the highlights of their careers even though only one of them has really made national news and not even by his real name.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
...except I listed Tebow's other accomplishments and its met with stony-faced denial and just more anger. Quite irrational, really.
Oh, so not being as impressed as you are by the young man is "stony-faced denial" and "more anger?"

No, it's called not being impressed.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yet clearly that isn't the case, as I've listed the many ways in which he is a notable public figure.

Oddly you continue to assert that since you (you personally) don't know much about his career outside his brief NFL stint and "Tebowing", nothing else matters. It sounds fairly ludicrous; like saying Rick Fox or Heath Shuler or Ivan Lendl don't exist outside of the tidbit of sports trivia that only the base 99% know about.
Although you have yet to respond to my earlier post I'm going to have to address this too. I'm fairly sure I know who Rick Fox is. Really tall guy. Was on Big Bang Theory as Bernadette's ex. Couldn't tell you what sport he played or plays or what team either though (assuming he's an athlete that is). Have absolutely no idea who the other names belong to. Now, 99% of some group of people know who they are? 99% of who? Sports fans? Football fans? Basketball fans? Who is this 99%? 99% of the people in your household?

You still want to take a whack at the questions I posed in my previous post to you? You know, coming from the non-atheist non-democrat? Still waiting for that as well.

Grumpuss

Not quite sure what your residency has to do with anything...after all, it's YOU who suggested that he'd be a great member of Congress.

It's amazing how many assumptions you make about anyone who asks you a question or two.:rolleyes:
Because I don't gain or lose anything since he wouldn't be my representative.

Grumpuss

Oh, so not being as impressed as you are by the young man is "stony-faced denial" and "more anger?"
It is when you reduce him to nothing more than an unsuccessful NFL player who likes to kneel in prayer. Even worse when you insist that because that is your perspective of the man, it is the only perspective possible.

No, it's called not being impressed.
Fair enough. It's not as though snap judgements are against the law either...

Grumpuss

I'm not saying nothing else matters, for example:

I have absolutely no idea who any of those people are. How can it be expected for someone who doesn't follow or care about football to know of things a football player has done, especially when they aren't widely discussed? I imagine it would be on par with my discussing the public works of people like John Cena, Mick Foley, Ted Dibiase, or James Janos and expecting you to know who these people are, what they have done, and the highlights of their careers even though only one of them has really made national news and not even by his real name.
I am familiar with those names, yes. And where I am unfamiliar with the totality of their accomplishments, I would research it somewhat if they were running for office.

I would not, for example, insist over and over again that I knew everything I needed to because of some irrational series of viewpoints like "football and traumatic brain injury" is an excuse for being close-minded...

Grumpuss

Although you have yet to respond to my earlier post I'm going to have to address this too. I'm fairly sure I know who Rick Fox is. Really tall guy. Was on Big Bang Theory as Bernadette's ex. Couldn't tell you what sport he played or plays or what team either though (assuming he's an athlete that is). Have absolutely no idea who the other names belong to. Now, 99% of some group of people know who they are? 99% of who? Sports fans? Football fans? Basketball fans? Who is this 99%? 99% of the people in your household?

You still want to take a whack at the questions I posed in my previous post to you? You know, coming from the non-atheist non-democrat? Still waiting for that as well.
Sure. Feel free to list your questions.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It is when you reduce him to nothing more than an unsuccessful NFL player who likes to kneel in prayer. Even worse when you insist that because that is your perspective of the man, it is the only perspective possible.

Fair enough. It's not as though snap judgements are against the law either...
From the title you applied to this thread, and your glowing positive statements in the OP, I was waiting to be impressed, shown something that would make Mr. Tebow appear significantly better than any randomly selected individual from the population. He certainly seems to be the product of a loving family who lives their beliefs, and from the primarily pro-Tebow press coverage and assessments of him I could find, it sounds like he walks the walk too. That's all to his credit.

Personally, I'm against missionary work (and proselytizing in general), so that background and experience is not a positive for me. What you've said and what I've read suggests that the interest in him as a politician is primarily driven by his celebrity, which is highly tied to his very public conservative Christianity. I think being highly religious can (but not always) be a positive trait about a person, but religious beliefs and practices are not a good basis for selecting elected officials--frankly, religious beliefs/practices is one of the least important qualities of a candidate in my opinion. And it's a detraction, if I suspect that the individual would be likely to try to legislate their religious beliefs into law, which does seem to be the tendency of conservative Christian politicians and voters.

And certainly, having been a star athlete is no qualification for office at all.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Sure. Feel free to list your questions.
Why? So you can ignore them like you just did again? You didn't answer anything from that post either. Look again at the post you wrote that response to and then go look at this then see if you can respond honestly by addressing what was said.

Grumpuss

Why? So you can ignore them like you just did again? You didn't answer anything from that post either. Look again at the post you wrote that response to and then go look at this then see if you can respond honestly by addressing what was said.
You'll have to give me a moment. Thanks for responding with your message in such good faith. I can just tell you'll be fair and impartial when you respond to my answers.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, the hate along Democrat and atheistic lined is very revealing. Interesting to note that little about a person's qualities and integrity are acknowledged, if there are political consequences or a pleasant Christian man, who has never hurt anyone, has a chance to promote his faith.

I don't consider myself a Democrat, and I'm far from being an atheist. I don't follow football and probably would never have heard of him except for all the comments in the media about his "tebowing".

What I'll give him credit for is that he does a lot of philanthropic work, especially for children. Hearing him speak once I think he really believes in these causes, and is involved in them for genuine reasons. Given that, he comes across as a gung-ho young guy who would like to do right. So I can see him wanting a wider platform e.g. Congress, to perform public service. However, that does not include promoting his faith as a representative of the US government. He can minister and evangelize on his own time, not on the congressional payroll.

Unfortunately all of that philanthropy is overshadowed by his tebowing and the bad taste that leaves. Ironically that behind the scenes philanthropy says more about him as a genuine Christian than his public displays. I don't dislike him (anymore) having heard him speak. He can be an "exceptional Christian" by doing the work he does but without the playing field tebowing, which will probably fade in time.

Wirey

Fartist
Again, if there really is a God, and he's American (ask Cruz) then please let him crush Tebow with a meteor or Rosie O'Donnell falling off a balcony or something.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Again, if there really is a God, and he's American (ask Cruz) then please let him crush Tebow with a meteor or Rosie O'Donnell falling off a balcony or something.

I'll take door # 2 and sacrifice Rosie... at least Tebow is cute :yum: (you had to know my sluttery would rear its ugly head at some point in this thread :D).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Also...
Colin Moynihan
Menzies Campbell
Christopher Chataway
Jeffrey Archer - (a very successful Oxford Blue)
David Evans
CB Fry

All Tories, I think.
Menzis Campbell was a past liberal party leader, QC, and now university vice chancellor. With various titles and honours. Including a peerage and an OM
He held the british 100m record for some ten years and also beat OJ Simpson when he was an athelete. Though few people here know of his athletic achievements when a student. And they have never had any political revelance.

Ralph Murphy

I have no problem with Tebow the Christian savior running for congress, but I would rather go to hell than see a Florida Gator in congress.