• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As are 99% of the species that ever lived. Are you suggesting we've been going through this climate change for 6 billion years?

Climate certainly goes up and down, but as I understand it, the current mantra is that it will kill us all if we don't act. I'm just saying that is not true and there is no need to worry. Seeding and harvesting will go on.

99% of the species that ever lived have not become extinct because of the current global warming and you know it so why the straw man?

And why the callus attitude to extinction?

Coincidentally i watched a documentary about this very subject a couple of days ago. Climate scientists are begining to compare this current event to the mass extinction that ended the permian period and for the same reasons. Pollution, 1/4 of a billion years ago it was caused by volcanic action, now its caused by humans. The permian extinction is not called the great dying for nothing

I am sure you want the best for your grandkids, sticking your head in the sand won't do it for them

I don't know about you but i will take the word of experts in the field of climatology alive today, not some mythical story teller from the bronze age.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well, I believe the scriptures that say God created man just a bit lower than the angels. I can tell you it makes for a better life than to think I'm just a worm.
I'm glad you don't think you're a worm, although they do perform a vital function in soil creation of course.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Do you know how fast science changes? It's pretty fast. It wisely does not claim to be cast in stone. In fact the hallmark of science is that it will change with more information. It will eventually change it's predictions about climate change. Will you still worship it then?
It won't change in the way you imply. I know what science involves, I have a science degree with statistics. I don't worship anything.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are cycles, and we are in a "hot" cycle right now, but it will start to cool down sooner or later. Hopefully it will be in time to save the polar bears. It is a fact that 99% of species that lived are now extinct, so maybe the time is up for polar bears.

I know there are places in the world where the harvest is not very good, but it's been that way from the very start. Spotty harvests are addressed in Genesis 3:17-19, but that in no way negates Genesis 8:22.

Take care and stay cool. :)
We're hot, but not from any natural cycle. I read somewhere that we'd actually be entering a natural cooling cycle, geologically, but I'm too lazy to go and find it.
We are in a hot cycle now, but if Genesis is true, it will cool down sooner of later. I think it will.
You feel it will. "Think" implies critical analysis of data.
I really think Genesis is correct. You have to admit, it would be nice if it is. It's a better alternative to most of the science on the subject.
You really hope Genesis is correct.
I fear complacency, denial and wishful thinking are going to lead to a disaster of our own making. :(

I say err on the side of caution and heed the experts.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
God made a promise to Noah right after the flood abated.

Gen 8:22,

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
I don't see climate change there. No need to fear, God is here!
Ah but God told Adam and Eve to dress and to keep the Garden of Eden.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you are afraid? Maybe you are afraid because of lack of information, namely, what the scriptures declare. I was just trying to give folks like yourself hope.
I think you've got it a little turned around, rrobs. You're basing your equanimity on the "climate predictions" of ancient men who didn't even know the Earth was round. You're accepting folklore over the abundant and growing mass of evidence from multiple observations and multiple studies; from multiple disciplines from all over the world.

Hope and comforting fantasies can be your downfall, in the long run.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
So you are afraid? Maybe you are afraid because of lack of information, namely, what the scriptures declare. I was just trying to give folks like yourself hope.
I'm not afraid. Emotions cloud rational thought processes. I'm reasonably worried.
I may lack information about scriptures but I don't think that my lack of knowledge about scriptures compares to your lack of knowledge about science.
As we already agreed upon, your scriptures don't contain anything about climate change, so they are worthless in tackling the problem. Climate science is all about climate change, so science should be the tool to use on the problem.
Do we agree? If not, why not?

Daemon Sophic

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
OK @rrobs let’s take a look. Mind you, it sure would be nice if this whole Global Warming thing were to magically just *poof* away (like tRump assures us that COVID-19 will do real soon); but unfortunately it will not. :shrug:
Either way, let’s take a look at the Christian god’s “promise” from Genesis that you posted in the OP.
“While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.”​
Now then....the following “shall not cease”.....
1. While the earth remaineth - there is no threat to the stone and soil from global warming, so skip this.
2. ...seedtime and harvest (i.e. spring and autumn . And no there is nothing requiring human presence for the times of seeding and harvesting to occur. But again, most all GW outlooks do NOT include the extinction of humanity, but rather a mass die-off; greatly reducing our numbers on the Earth. So again God is not promising to solve the Global Warming that we humans have wrought.
3. Cold and heat. Sure. The poles will be cooler than the equator. Heating up the whole planet will still leave zones that are hotter than others, and zones that are colder. No promise broken by bringing on general temperature rises that will greatly limit our crop yields and bring disease and pestilence to ourselves and our livestock and our crops. :(:shrug:
4. winter and summer - see spring and fall in #2 above.
5. Day and night. Check. The Earth will keep spinning. GW has nothing to do with this.

Bottom line, if you are cherry-picking out and clinging to one line from one religious text from one religion in the history of humanity.. Aaaaand that text actually makes no promise about god preventing or reversing GW....sounds like you’re desperately trying to find a reason not to fight the good fight against global warming.
I just wonder....Why?

If you want to base your life on the Christian mythos, then start tending to this garden that God gave you. Because hell certainly awaits those that casually or otherwise toss aside the gifts God has granted us. :eek:

QUOTE="rrobs, post: 6771003, member: 64030"
I live in an area where for a while the average highs were going up by 2 or 3 degrees for several years. Everybody was wigging out. That was a while ago. If it had kept going up at that rate, I probably wouldn't be here writing this. As it is, the last 3 years it has begun a definite cooling trend. Last night, August 9 in SoCal, I slept with 2 blankets. Very unusual. Usually it's 0 blankets this time of the year, maybe a sheet by the time morning arrived, but definitely no blankets.
Your thinking is way too short-term. There are always hot and cold years. GW won’t alter that. GW deals in climate alterations spanning decades at a minimum. Three or four “warm” years is OK, but when those warm years, historically spaced a twenty or more years apart, start coming every 6 years or every 3 years.....And, those warm years are hotter than previous “hot years” from 3 decades ago.....That’s GW. When the SoCal fire season gets ealier and lasts longer than 40 years ago....That’s GW.
When we are on the 5th hurricane of the year at a time when historically we have usually only seen 1 by August....that’s GW.

I really think Genesis is correct. You have to admit, it would be nice if it is. It's a better alternative to most of the science on the subject.
Golly, it sure would be nice.

Speaking of science; it is well understood that it is constantly refining its findings in most physical areas of study. That is in fact a hallmark of good science. That means it is understood that what we know now may not be the whole story. I think the whole story is in Genesis and it does not refine itself. It's already perfect and not subject to change. All in all, it seems to be a better anchor of life than science. Nothing wrong with science, it just does not have the final say on life. Have to keep those limits in mind.

Golly, it sure would be nice.

Take care.

Yeah. That’s what God said when he handed the planet to us.
I sure hope you’re right in your singular interpretation...because, you know....Golly, it sure would be nice.

We're hot, but not from any natural cycle. I read somewhere that we'd actually be entering a natural cooling cycle, geologically, but I'm too lazy to go and find it.
You feel it will. "Think" implies critical analysis of data.
You really hope Genesis is correct.
I fear complacency, denial and wishful thinking are going to lead to a disaster of our own making. :(

I say err on the side of caution and heed the experts.
Yeah. The current interglacial/warm period that we’re in should have started dropping into a glacial/ice age a couple thousand years ago, if the normal cycles were maintained. Before that drop occurs, the CO2 levels normally fall off. But of course now, they are higher than since the last dinosaur age. (and CO2-wise, things had been real stable for the last million years or so (even through multiple ice ages)).

image002.jpg

Capture8trimmed.jpg

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Oh well, if The Bible says so, it must be true. I will leave a note to my scientists colleague working on that, so that they will not lose more time.

Ciao

- viole

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They are adapting...

National Geographic had 4 ways they are adapting but you have to sign up
They're trying to survive for longer and longer periods on land, where they have no idea how to hunt. They're even interbreeding with Brown (grizzly) bears.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
They're trying to survive for longer and longer periods on land, where they have no idea how to hunt. They're even interbreeding with Brown (grizzly) bears.
Which are family... adaptation is amazing!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Perhaps rather than destroying the habitat of the orangutan, we could all adapt as great apes and interbreed. Amazing!

rrobs

99% of the species that ever lived have not become extinct because of the current global warming and you know it so why the straw man?

And why the callus attitude to extinction?

Coincidentally i watched a documentary about this very subject a couple of days ago. Climate scientists are begining to compare this current event to the mass extinction that ended the permian period and for the same reasons. Pollution, 1/4 of a billion years ago it was caused by volcanic action, now its caused by humans. The permian extinction is not called the great dying for nothing

I am sure you want the best for your grandkids, sticking your head in the sand won't do it for them

I don't know about you but i will take the word of experts in the field of climatology alive today, not some mythical story teller from the bronze age.
Be afraid, be very afraid.