• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming?

Heyo

Veteran Member
What I know is that many people are afraid of climate change. I also know it is not necessary to be afraid. That's all I'm saying.

I think it amazing that, from a simple short 3 paragraph post, you know what I know and what I don't know.
Happiness is just a lack of information.
(Or in your case, not being afraid of climate change is a lack of information.)

rrobs

Tell that to the Bramble Cay melomys... Oh wait a moment, you can't, they are recognised as being extinct due to climate change

Maybe god is not concerned about the humble rat?
As are 99% of the species that ever lived. Are you suggesting we've been going through this climate change for 6 billion years?

Climate certainly goes up and down, but as I understand it, the current mantra is that it will kill us all if we don't act. I'm just saying that is not true and there is no need to worry. Seeding and harvesting will go on.

epronovost

What I know is that many people are afraid of climate change. I also know it is not necessary to be afraid. That's all I'm saying.

I think it amazing that, from a simple short 3 paragraph post, you know what I know and what I don't know.

Well if you cross somebody on the street who says the following sentence:

Julius Caesar was a great Roman emperor who defeated the Gauls and the Scythians.

You know that person doesn't know **** about roman history. In one sentence, he made two big historical mistake. Your OP basically read pretty much like any half-crazed semont given by a streat preacher in a sandwich board. Do I need a lengthy dissertation to know that you don't know anything about a given subject? Absolutely not.

rrobs

Happiness is just a lack of information.
(Or in your case, not being afraid of climate change is a lack of information.)
So you are afraid? Maybe you are afraid because of lack of information, namely, what the scriptures declare. I was just trying to give folks like yourself hope.

rrobs

Well if you cross somebody on the street who says the following sentence:

Julius Caesar was a great Roman emperor who defeated the Gauls and the Scythians.

You know that person doesn't know **** about roman history. In one sentence, he made two big historical mistake. Your OP basically read pretty much like any half-crazed semont given by a streat preacher in a sandwich board. Do I need a lengthy dissertation to know that you don't know anything about a given subject? Absolutely not.
How arrogant of you!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There are cycles, and we are in a "hot" cycle right now, but it will start to cool down sooner or later. Hopefully it will be in time to save the polar bears. It is a fact that 99% of species that lived are now extinct, so maybe the time is up for polar bears.

I know there are places in the world where the harvest is not very good, but it's been that way from the very start. Spotty harvests are addressed in Genesis 3:17-19, but that in no way negates Genesis 8:22.

Take care and stay cool. :)

I fear your optimism is misplaced. The sixth great extinction has commenced, due to human activity.

Holocene extinction - Wikipedia

rrobs

But did the writers of the fantasy story in Gen 8:22 ask why the Great Barrier Reef is being bleached and dying from global warming and why the Antartic Peninsular and Greenland is greening?
No. Read the verse. It says what it says. It's about an 8th grade reading level.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear people all the time say that the earth will outlive humans.

That's quite a different claim than anything mentioned in the actual verse you posted.
Days and seasons are going to keep happening whether we're here or not.

And besides, I don't think climate change is going to cause our entire species to go extinct. Some percentage, yes, but almost certainly not all.

rrobs

So me correctly pointing out that you don't know **** about climate change and its potential effect is arrogant, but you claiming knowledge that you don't have isn't? You need to do some introspection.
You don't know what I know!!!!!! Are you really that blind? You can't be. You're just replying without thinking it through. No big deal.

epronovost

You don't know what I know!!!!!!l.

You have demonstrated lack of knowledge on climate change and climatology in the same way that the person in my example has demonstrated a lack of knowledge on roman history. if you fail to demonstrate the most basic understanding of climate change and its impact, you don't know **** about the subject. You might delude yourself in thinking you do, but that's pure delusion and arrogance.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I guess you are a pessimist. I'm sorry to hear you have no hope. Of the two, I'll take optimism any day. If we're really going out soon (I don't think we are), at least I'll go out with a smile instead of a face frozen with fear.
I'd say I'm a realist, based upon the consensus of modern science. I try to avoid delusional misplaced hope based on ignorance.
Extinction of species is of course part of a natural process, but the rate of extinction is sufficiently high and increasing as to warrant the title "great extinction."
My hope is that Homo Sapiens dies off sufficiently to counteract the negative global effects of our species. We are not any more important than any other species and we have no right to treat the biosphere like a bottomless pit of goodies for us to pillage and then chuck our refuse into.

rrobs

You have demonstrated lack of knowledge on climate change and climatology in the same way that the person in m yexample has demonstrated a lack of knowledge on roman history.
What, exactly don't I understand? Specifics please. Sweeping generalizations are worthless.

rrobs

I'd say I'm a realist, based upon the consensus of modern science. I try to avoid delusional misplaced hope based on ignorance.
Extinction of species is of course part of a natural process, but the rate of extinction is sufficiently high and increasing as to warrant the title "great extinction."
My hope is that Homo Sapiens dies off sufficiently to counteract the negative global effects of our species. We are not any more important than any other species and we have no right to treat the biosphere like a bottomless pit of goodies for us to pillage and then chuck our refuse into.
Well, I believe the scriptures that say God created man just a bit lower than the angels. I can tell you it makes for a better life than to think I'm just a worm.

rrobs

So me correctly pointing out that you don't know **** about climate change and its potential effect is arrogant, but you claiming knowledge that you don't have isn't? You need to do some introspection.
What, exactly don't I understand? Specifics please. Sweeping generalizations are worthless.

epronovost

specifically you made a wrong assertion on the impact of climate change on human systems, the nature of the current climate changes, the impact of climate change on plants and animal and the interrelation between between all these things. In other words, in vernacular wa, you pretty understand nothing about climate change.

rrobs

Do you know how fast science changes? It's pretty fast. It wisely does not claim to be cast in stone. In fact the hallmark of science is that it will change with more information. It will eventually change it's predictions about climate change. Will you still worship it then?

rrobs

specifically you made a wrong assertion on the impact of climate change on human systems, the nature of the current climate changes, the impact of climate change on plants and animal and the interrelation between between all these things. In other words, in vernacular wa, you pretty understand nothing about climate change.
What? I said not one word about any of those things! For example, what did I say about the impact of climate change on human systems?

If you want, take your auto-criticism glasses off and read the OP again.

epronovost

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
I don't see climate change there. No need to fear, God is here!

In the bolded part you have here an error on the nature of climate change and its impact on human and natural sytems. I shows your complete lack of understanding on how human system work or could be affected by climate change in addition to a complete lack of knowledge on the nature of climate change.